Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 full brake restoration
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: 1971 full brake restoration Reply with quote

Guys,
I’m doing a full brake job on this 1971. Rebuilt booster, new MC, brake hoses, the whole nine yards. The front rotors and rear drums don’t look bad but I want to either skim cut them of replace them. The question is “are good quality parts available” or just work with my local machine shop and clean these up. Money isn’t a factor. TIA.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 full brake restoration Reply with quote

gary, I have had good luck with all of the stuff for 71 up drums/rotors

I use name brand stuff

there was an issue with the hat section on the drums being too thick, and possibly the lip rubbing the backing plate (had that happen with some brembo's but it was a 2 second fix)

steer clear of som-ting-wong industries and you'll be fine

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 full brake restoration Reply with quote

I’m not sure what named brand is. Can you give me some links or ideas?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 full brake restoration Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

check out FCPeuro.com

they were local to me, but went interntez....they had decent stuff last I checked

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 full brake restoration Reply with quote

Thanks my friend
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 full brake restoration Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
aeromech wrote:

check out FCPeuro.com

they were local to me, but went interntez....they had decent stuff last I checked
I’ve bought clutch cable parts from them for my ‘71 from FCPeuro and they were good quality and the pricing was good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 full brake restoration Reply with quote

Make the drive up to Wolfsburg west in corona . They sell good stuff . I just got German front rotors for my 71 bus there .
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 full brake restoration Reply with quote

I gotta do a full brake resto on my '78 as well. Not too much difference between our years save for the reservoir and part dimensions. I've gone through Jbugs and WOW websites. While I'd prefer to order all from one shop I'm sure some of y'all would say order something specific from X or Y place.

Has there been a thread with a full job on brakes? If you make this a work thread on the brake resto I'll gladly follow along. Might be a great thing.

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: