Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new baby! Auction of fake 23-Window Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
joefriday wrote:
I wish you luck in resolving this. It’s a shame. 50k views to this post in 4 days!

Ten hours later and it has doubled to 100k Shocked

Hot Topic 🔥
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
oakman wrote:
joefriday wrote:
I wish you luck in resolving this. It’s a shame. 50k views to this post in 4 days!

Hot Topic 🔥

Give it a few days. Someone will turn it in to a 100-page clickbait slideshow. Confused

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Just google "mecum fake 23 window bus" and it's all over the forums, not just VW related ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joefriday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Wow. If I owned a business with a problem like this I’d want to resolve it first thing Monday morning. Turn bad publicity into good pretty quickly.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Mecum has been down this road before apparently.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopnik.com/the-curious-case-of-the-fake-1967-corvette-1721955795/amp

https://www.leagle.com/decision/infdco20170403c31
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YadnusBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
joefriday wrote:
I wish you luck in resolving this. It’s a shame. 50k views to this post in 4 days! Can that be? Amazing. I suspect most are wishing well, and learning something too.

It's Charlie Wenzell all over again. Mecum gon learn today. Twisted Evil
KWZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

It’s pretty bad when a family friend, who is an avid Packard collector, called my dad to ask if I had heard about the fake 23 window at mecum. This is all over collector car circles.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopnik.com/the-curious-case-of-the-fake-1967-corvette-1721955795/amp

Based on how this case wen't down it doesn't look good for owner of this bus. Between the 'As Is' clause and the clause about not relying on the seller for any information, going after Mecum seems to be a dead end. I guess if you could prove VIN fraud you might be able to go after the seller but that may be difficult to prove they did the actual swap (vs. some other PO/shop that worked on it).

In the end, its buyer beware for anything purchased at auction. Also, have a lawyer review anything you sign before signing it.
jiggymatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

CONGRATS! I picked up my first VW the same day at that auction! 1970 beetle.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

jiggymatt wrote:

um....
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

jiggymatt wrote:

Popcorn
'65 Honda Dream
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

jiggymatt wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Mecum can only take so many “Pyrrhic Victories” like this without losing buyers. With every internet search and click, Mecum’s reputation takes a hit. I doubt Mecum bragged on their site about their court “win”. If you search Mecum and “shill bidders” it appears selling fake cars isn’t their only parlor trick, and word is getting out fast.

No two cases are alike. The fake Corvette case was in Illinois, this one is going to be in California. In a case where I’m a wronged consumer, I’d rather take my chances in California any day.

Mecum might not actually get named in this suit over the 23W bus. In the Corvette case, Mecum was the owner, as well as auctioneer. It will be interesting to see how nestbedding’s lawyer structures the case.

In my opinion, the people sitting on the hottest seats on the bus case are the owner, and the dealership that the bus went through. The dealership has a California dealer license to go after, and they have a body shop that probably did the work to the bus. I wonder how well treated and paid their employees are? Any former employees that might remember that Vin being punched into that frame? Who gave the order to do that? It will all come out in court.
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=469295&highlight=barrett-jackson

This one sure got quite......at least it was a real 23 window that had fire damage, which I agree could have melted the VIN tag. Still fraud on faking the replacement VIN tag.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
nestbedding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Sad

Last edited by nestbedding on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
67_SO42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

nestbedding wrote:
Mecum IS going to be named in this suit and there is one giant difference that will set my case apart from the poor guy with the Vette: I am not going to divulge that but suffice to say they had prior knowledge at Mecums and chose to run the vehicle.

Go get em! Interesting to follow.
58 Binz DC #151 "Nacho"
61 Norwegian, bug "Greta"
65 Swedish, Westfalia 400 trailer "Melania"
57 Binz scooter “Micha”
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

nestbedding wrote:
Mecum IS going to be named in this suit and there is one giant difference that will set my case apart from the poor guy with the Vette: I am not going to divulge that but suffice to say they had prior knowledge at Mecums and chose to run the vehicle.

Go go go then!! I like the sound of that. I’m sure *it will all come out in court*. I’m presuming the owner and dealership will be named as well?

You’re doing everyone that loves these buses a service.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

spookymulder wrote:
darwin2 wrote:
to compare vin # from my jan 15 59 23 window # 429438

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
The bus fraudsters thank you for your picture!

This is just a silly comment. I could go to any OCTO show and peek in the open engine compartment of just about any bus, chat the owner up about how original and cool the motor set up is, ask if he minds and snap a pic or two for "my" restoration and then take one of the VIN.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:

It's happened in almost every make community.
http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2006/01/01/seller-of-fake-l88-caught-by-corvette-community/
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

jiggymatt wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are completely safe ;-P Congrats on the new ride despite the bumpers and blinkers Wink) Seriously though, enjoy the car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 34

Jump to: