Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gear oil in CV??? Is this possible?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Gear oil in CV??? Is this possible? Reply with quote

So I was pulling the rear axles off to do a little CV maintenance and when I got to the inner and got all the bolts out popped it off it appeared to be full off gear oil. Before I took it off the outer part of the CV and the trans was completely dry. No signs of any leaks.

Is it actually possible to leak gear oil into the CV? Bad seal?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear oil in CV??? Is this possible? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249639&highlight=transmission+flange+seal

Here's a detailed post to help you take care of this.
Good that you caught it before running around with the gear oil low.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear oil in CV??? Is this possible? Reply with quote

Wow...yeah, that's leaky. Good catch! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear oil in CV??? Is this possible? Reply with quote

That link discusses how to replace the seal. is that the only issue here? that the seal busted? i need to replace mine as well. I notice a small drip coming from CV today.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear oil in CV??? Is this possible? Reply with quote

Considering both plugs popped out, I would suggest checking to make sure the atmospheric bleed hole is not plugged.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear oil in CV??? Is this possible? Reply with quote

If the seals are a tight enough fit you can just reuse them, but glue them in with something like aviation permatex. Don't reuse the seals if you are obviously bunged up. Your gear oil looks really ugly.

Good idea to make sure the tranny is venting properly.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Gear oil in CV??? Is this possible? Reply with quote

Second checking the air vent hole!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gear oil in CV??? Is this possible? Reply with quote

Be sure to check the vent hole in the top of the transmission at the front, and use RTV the seal when you re install it.
If you have the time, pull the CVS joint on the other side clean and seal that one also.
I found the same thing on a customer's west you, it had gone on for so long, it had washed ALL the grease out of the joint, it would burp a puddle of oil every once in a while, something we could not replicate, I guess when the CVS boot was full, upon removal of the joint, the seal fell out also.

There was no ill effects to the CVS joint, so it was cleaned refitted, the breather was cleaned, the transmission was topped up with oil, a year on, it's not been an issue.
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Gear oil in CV??? Is this possible? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If the seals are a tight enough fit you can just reuse them, but glue them in with something like aviation permatex. Don't reuse the seals if you are obviously bunged up. Your gear oil looks really ugly.

Good idea to make sure the tranny is venting properly.

Just ordered 2 new ones.
http://www.gowesty.com/product/manual/24472/cv-flange-cap

The trans gear oil was the previous maintenance item on my list so it has fresh oil in it now and it has not been off the jack stands yet so i don't think it was contaminated by the junk in the CV.

Any good tricks to checking the venting?? Is it easy to get to?

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Gear oil in CV??? Is this possible? Reply with quote

There are several thread somewhere with pictures of the vent hole and explanations of how people go about checking it.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Gear oil in CV??? Is this possible? Reply with quote

Here’s a very helpful thread...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344159

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Gear oil in CV??? Is this possible? Reply with quote

Reminds me I want to add a vent line to my new trans rebuild... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Gear oil in CV??? Is this possible? Reply with quote

The Syncro's have a vent line attached to it, rather than just the little skimpy cover. Maybe someone will post up the thread size. Then its just a matter of buying a fitting and slipping a piece of fuel line on it you can run up into the frame and zip tie against water intrusion.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: