Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac- Edit :NLA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

Continuous circumferential tread rows tend to provide better handling at speed, lower noise, longer wear and lower rolling resistance. But the lack of lateral edges indeed means those type of "highway" tread designs have poor traction on gravel, very light snow, ice or other traction challenges.

It's a testament to today's state of the art silica rubber compounds, and computer aided design that allow tires like this to have open tread blocks for traction challenges, but also achieve the low noise/rolling resistance/handling and long wear of those old fashioned tread designs.

I'm pretty pumped.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Continuous circumferential tread rows tend to provide better handling at speed, lower noise, longer wear and lower rolling resistance.

I know that that is the claim, but I just don't agree with it. I certainly have gotten better mileage out of tires that I have had microsiped than tires I haven't even when everything else is the same, plus when I have run blocked tires on one axle and continuous tread tires on the other the blocked tires have done as well and sometimes much better than the continuous tread tires. With continuous tread rows the tread just about has to scuff along the road, which reduces traction, increases rolling resistance, and shortens tread life. I am not even all that sure it lessens noise.

Heavier highway trucks would be about the only place where I can see that continuous tread has much of a place these days, I don't even think I could find such locally for a typical light truck.
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

Happy to say my new Vredestein Comtracs came on Saturday and I was able to get them installed before camping Saturday evening. They look and feel great. I do have a strange knocking sound now when braking and turning left at the same time. Will take it back to STS where I got them installed to get it checked out. Timing couldn't have been better for getting them installed. The old Yokohoma 356 with the broken belt, that led me down the new tire road in the first place, blew literally as they were pulling the van into the bay to do the swap.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

katstan wrote:
Happy to say my new Vredestein Comtracs came on Saturday and I was able to get them installed before camping Saturday evening. They look and feel great. I do have a strange knocking sound now when braking and turning left at the same time. Will take it back to STS where I got them installed to get it checked out. Timing couldn't have been better for getting them installed. The old Yokohoma 356 with the broken belt, that led me down the new tire road in the first place, blew literally as they were pulling the van into the bay to do the swap.

Could be a CV knocking. When they were putting on the tires the axles may have been at full droop and afterwards did not return to where they had been running. You could slide the small ends of the boots along the axle to force the axle in one direction or the other.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

Yep - noodle a bit with the CV boot. Might as well do that before taking it back and having them noodle a bit and take up your time, eh?

What size did you go with?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Yep - noodle a bit with the CV boot. Might as well do that before taking it back and having them noodle a bit and take up your time, eh?

What size did you go with?

The 195s.

Okay, I'll check out that CV boot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

Any update on these tires from those of you running them? Are you still happy with them? I'm getting ready to buy some new 14" tires for my Syncro and it is down to these or the General Grabbers.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

Any news on the US supply this spring? I'm ready to buy, but waiting for some to show up...

Rolling Eyes

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

There are no 14" sizes listed on their website (for quite a while now). I would take that to mean they are discontinued.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

Afraid of that, but hoping for otherwise... Rolling Eyes

Link?

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Afraid of that, but hoping for otherwise... Rolling Eyes

Link?

- Dave

https://www.vredestein.com/car-suv-van/tyre-finder/tyres/
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

I don't think they'll be out of production any time soon. It's a large market in Europe. What you may find is they eventually won't be available here in the US.

If they ever were no longer available here, I'd consider contacting the Atlanta USA headquarters for Vredestein and letting them know you'd like to buy a set and see if they'll accommodate.

It's likely that the summer tire stock is already here in the US in containers and then it will be shipped out to tire dealers over the next couple months. Or perhaps they keep the tires at major warehouse distributors and ship when ordered. Either way, they'll open the containers, inventory what is in them and then update their stock reports for dealers to purchase out of as needed. So I'd expect to find them available but you'll need to reach out to these smaller dealers and have them check availability.

Interesting there appears to be a new version of the Comtrac All Season. It's got some siping in the tread and an updated tread compared to mine. Looks nice. I'm jealous you guys will get the update!! Heh....
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I don't think they'll be out of production any time soon. It's a large market in Europe. What you may find is they eventually won't be available here in the US.

Doug, I hope you are right but I think you are in denial. They won't be out of production anytime soon, because they are already out of production Crying or Very sad

I looked at the UK website too. They are not listed.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

Oh, bummer. Well, I'd be calling the USA HQ sooner then. There are often many sets of a given tire in stock somewhere in the system. A dealer in Peoria. A warehouse in NJ. Etc. I've bought 14" tires off Tire Rack that were a few years old. Likely simply an unpopular size, so they sit in dark warehouses.

HQ would have ways of find out and they're motivated to hook you up with any remaining Comtracs because they know their dealers love getting those call: "Hey Ted, you know those 14" Comtracs you've had in stock for 3 years? Well, I have a buyer - here's his information...." That way the dealer will reorder tires for stock and they're happy to make a sale. Win/win.

Doug
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

Doug,

This is a very helpful thread, and I value your expertise on tires.
My Nokian WR-Cs are on their last legs, so it's about time for something new.
Thanks for keeping this thread going.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gustavohuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

For those who got their hopes up and found this thread.. I just spoke with a very helpful associate Jared from Vredestein North America who confirmed that no more of the 14" sizes of the Comtrac are being produced, and it looks to have been a few years since anyone ordered the 185/75 R14 size from the factory, so finding stock will be rough. Comtrac has been replaced with Comtrac 2AS (all-season) which is functionally identical, but only comes in 15" and up rim sizes. Time to get some 15" wheels i guess. Sad
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

Well, darn. Here are the 2AS options, from the north America Vredestein site:

THERE ARE 14 TIRE SIZE(S) AVAILABLE

SHOW SPECS FOR 15"

WIDTH ASPECT RATIO RIM DIAMETER LOAD INDEX SPEED RATINGS MAX SPEED
(MILES/H) TREADWEAR TRACTION TEMPERATURE
195 70 15 104/102 R 106
205 70 15 106/104 R 106
215 70 15 109/107 S 112
225 70 15 112/110 S 112

SHOW SPECS FOR 16"

WIDTH ASPECT RATIO RIM DIAMETER LOAD INDEX SPEED RATINGS MAX SPEED
(MILES/H) TREADWEAR TRACTION TEMPERATURE
185 75 16 104/102 R 106
195 75 16 107/105 R 106
195 65 16 104/102 T 118
205 65 16 107/105 T 118
205 75 16 110/108 R 106
215 75 16 116/114 R 106
215 65 16 109/107 T 118
215 60 16 103/101 T 118
225 65 16 112/110 R 106
235 65 16 115/113 R 106
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

it truly is a shame and a major loss of a good fit for our antique vehicles.

I carry much of the sense of blame for this.. as many things that I personally find great in life go away shortly after I proclaim it to be 'the greatest'.
it's honestly a terrible superpower and my friends and family shun me for it at times.
I've been noted as being able to make a bird fall from the sky by commenting on "how graceful it flies" Embarassed

my apologies and condolences.
Dan the dark twin to king Midas
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

My condolences Dan:

Now I don't know, but I been told
It's hard to run with the weight of gold,
Other hand I have heard it said,
It's just as hard with the weight of lead
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

I carry much of the sense of blame for this.. as many things that I personally find great in life go away shortly after I proclaim it to be 'the greatest'.
it's honestly a terrible superpower and my friends and family shun me for it at times.

The committee has met and is asking that you sell any and all Vanagons that you own and refrain from ever speaking of them again.

Thank you.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: