Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doodledave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

[posted in part2 post, but this one is sticky so assuming better here??]

First of all let me say thanks for this post and the part1 post it has been amazing to read/learn all this stuff and this community is incredible.

I have recently purchased an '87 2WD and one of the early things on the list is new tires/wheels. Tires are very old and need replacing so figure also do the wheels.

This is a pair i am considering:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/pts/d/mercedes-16-wheels-and/6476612765.html

Tire size - 225/55R16
Wheel size - 7.5Jx16 ET42
Bolt pattern - 5x112

From what I've learned, this should work with a 12mm spacer front/back, correct? Seems a bit wide. I'm not in any huge hurry here, is this too clumsy of a set-up (I've read the 7.5 width can be tricky...). Assume the wheel is good quality.

Thanks again for this site and this thread and this community I am so psyched to learn and give back however a noob like me can.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Doodledave, I'm a little suspect of those wheels being 16x7.5 ET42. I have those listed as 16x8 ET36 with a part number of 2114013302.

There is a wheel that looks similar that is a 16x7.5 ET42, but it has a 2114016302 part number and the wheels in the photo are not those wheels. Like I said, they look similar, but definitely not the same.

I would ask the seller to see a photo of the part number.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
doodledave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Quote:
I would ask the seller to see a photo of the part number.

Will do! Thanks for the tip, it's unusual to see width and offset listed in a posting so I had assumed it was credible. Will get part#.

The search continues...
kitesurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Pinetops wrote:
Do the ASA Mercedes style wheels sold by tirerack have the same specs as the ones sold by several vanagon parts suppliers?

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServle...toModClar=

Yes, all of those wheels are being purchased from Tire Rack and sold by the various vendors. They all come from the same source. ASA is a brand owned by Tire Rack. The difference is that Tire Rack does not condone their use on a Vanagon due to the wheels not being the correct offset and not being strong enough. Many, many of those wheels have cracked and bent when used on a Vanagon. They are just a cheap, poorly made wheel produced and sold for a profit, not because its a great product. Check out the photos below. This is just a sample of the many, many wheels that have failed, but no one talks about it because the wheels are so popular and are pushed so hard as being "correct" for the Vanagon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

are these the same wheels talked about in this thread her which are not great ? : http://www.gowesty.com/product/wheels/3289/16-alloy-wheel-set-2wd-?v=
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Kitesurfer - yes!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
kitesurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Kitesurfer - yes!

Is there a decent mag wheel out there (15 or ideally 16 inches) for a Vanagon 2wd that can be used without any spacer or modification, just bolt on ???
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

kitesurfer wrote:
Kitesurfer - yes!

Is there a decent mag wheel out there (15 or ideally 16 inches) for a Vanagon 2wd that can be used without any spacer or modification, just bolt on ???

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410931&highlight=clk

They do require drilling the lug holes slightly larger, different lug nut/bolts (most if not all alloys will) and will fit without spacers with certain size tires. Also, you will need different center caps that will fit over the vanaogn hub. Great wheels though and lighter than just about any other option. All hardware is available throught T3.

Also:
http://www.van-cafe.com/15-inch-rhein-alloy-set-on-special

The Carrot Vanagon wheels will fit.

The Qube:
https://smallcar.com/vanagon/wheel-tire-brake-and-...kages.html

Many Mercedes wheels will fit with a little modification.
kitesurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

thanks for the responses, the two options I am considering is therefore either one of these two wheels (if the carrot came in black I would take it) :

- Carrot : http://www.van-cafe.com/carrot-alloy

- Eurolook : http://www.gowesty.com/product/2wd-packages/23417/16-wheel-tire-package-2wd-

ps.: regarding the eurolook appropriateness this reassured me : http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=37

Questions :

1.Are these two models same quality or is there a better one ?

2. Will a 16" with proper sized tires rub on a 2wd full camper Vanagon ?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Quote:

ps.: regarding the eurolook appropriateness this reassured me : http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=37

That article is full (and I mean chock-full) of false information. The wheels are made by ASA which is a Tire Rack brand. Even Tire Rack does not recommend these wheels due to the incorrect load rating (they are simply cheap, Chinese wheels) and the incorrect offset.

Quote:
Questions :

1.Are these two models same quality or is there a better one ?

2. Will a 16" with proper sized tires rub on a 2wd full camper Vanagon ?

The Carrot wheel is better, but it still doesn't have the ideal offset and its quality is nowhere near that of an original Mercedes wheel.

Both wheels have the incorrect offset for the size of the wheel, but the ASA/Eurolook wheels are the worse of the two. The further you push the front wheels outward, the greater the chance that the tires will rub on the upper fender lips. And just so you are aware, what seems like a very small difference in wheel width of offset can make a huge difference in the clearance you end up with.

kitesurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

ok thanks Chris

I am starting to consider plain black steel wheels of 16" Offset: ET30 that will have all the correct offset and bolt pattern.

Will that be ok re specs and will it rub on 2WD full camper ??
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

kitesurfer wrote:
ok thanks Chris

I am starting to consider plain black steel wheels of 16" Offset: ET30 that will have all the correct offset and bolt pattern.

Will that be ok re specs and will it rub on 2WD full camper ??

As long as those wheels are the Mefro 16x6 ET30 wheels and not the 16x7 ET30 "Made in the USA" wheels. The Made in the USA wheels do not make contact with the hubs properly which can cause serious reliability issues with some brake rotors. The problem is that the pad that mates to the rotor/hub is too big in diameter whereas the Mefro, VW, and Mercedes steel wheels make contact with the rotors/hubs properly.

1of6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Can anybody here identify these? They look like 19" Mercedes but the only ones I've seen locally have "solid" spokes.

2002 Turbo Beetle GLX, sold
1992 4 door Double Cab Transporter
1987 3 door Double Cab Transporter
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Any thoughts on these?
I know they need a 20 mm spacer to achieve corrrect ET and center holes bored out but what else might we need?

https://tucson.craigslist.org/wto/d/vw-jetta-2007-rims-tires/6476205542.html

Is this a wheel that will work w the new T3 center caps

sorry heres the part no 69812c

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

1of6 wrote:
Can anybody here identify these? They look like 19" Mercedes but the only ones I've seen locally have "solid" spokes.

Those are 19x8.5 SL63 wheels.

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Quote:
Any thoughts on these?
I know they need a 20 mm spacer to achieve corrrect ET and center holes bored out but what else might we need?

https://tucson.craigslist.org/wto/d/vw-jetta-2007-rims-tires/6476205542.html

Spacers, longer studs, small ball seat lugs.

Quote:
Is this a wheel that will work w the new T3 center caps

It's possible that the wheels could be machined to fit those caps, but they will not readily fit without custom machining.

AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

After a lot of eval I decided to go w mercedes rims. 16" 10 spoke w a 37ET.

Found a decent 215 60 16 98t tire to match and the whole enchillada only set me back $625. The local salvage yards havea lot of mercedes wheels avail. I got lucky and found one with a set of lightly used tires to match.

Heres the new wheel leaned against the van. Just waiting on a lower BJ to get the whole thing reassembled and rollin'.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
kitesurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

Would this fit on a 2wd vanagon full camper :

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-pneus-jantes/ville-de-queb...nFlag=true

thanks
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

kitesurfer wrote:
Hi Chris,

thanks

Sorry, those aren't really the best choice for a 2wd. They are 16x8 which is simply too wide to fit on the front properly.

kitesurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

kitesurfer wrote:
Hi Chris,

thanks

Sorry, those aren't really the best choice for a 2wd. They are 16x8 which is simply too wide to fit on the front properly.

the add says 17 po X 9 so even wider but is 16 X 8 to wide ? (cause I am mainly looking at 16s since I do not see 15s to often)
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

kitesurfer wrote:
kitesurfer wrote:
Hi Chris,

thanks

the add says 17 po X 9 so even wider but is 16 X 8 to wide ? (cause I am mainly looking at 16s since I do not see 15s to often)

They have drawn a tape measure across the overall width and the overall height. That is not how a wheel is measured and it would make a 16x8 wheel measure out to 17x9 (ish). Yes, 16x8 is too wide for the front of a 2wd.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 148 of 174

Jump to: