Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

87 cooling fan wiring
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwdefty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: 87 cooling fan wiring Reply with quote

i am in the process of doing an ej22 swap...got almost all the wiring in order but found a bundle of four wires (r/bk,r/bl,y/bk,y/bk) by my steering rack that i don't know where they go...they originate from the cooling fan relays, one on the inside of the body under the dash on the driver side, the other is the secondary fen relay #5....the fan is the high HP one and at this point i'm not putting a/c in and don't think it had it before, though it is a wolfsburg...any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
jwd
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 cooling fan wiring Reply with quote

This diagram might help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jwdefty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 87 cooling fan wiring Reply with quote

Thanks. I have seen this diagram but i am not sure if my van had ac and it does not clearly show where my wires start and end.
Jwd
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 cooling fan wiring Reply with quote

Those sound like air conditioning wires.

If your van has the larger rad fan motor then it was setup for A/C, unless it is a Syncro, those all have the larger fan motor.

Mark
jwdefty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 cooling fan wiring Reply with quote

I think you may be right, looking at the above diagram with that asssumption it looks like they might have gone to the stage 3 relay, any idea where that is suppose to be?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 cooling fan wiring Reply with quote

The 3rd stage relay is mounted by itself up at the left end of the dash area.

Mark
jwdefty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 cooling fan wiring Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, I have seen that relay and several of the wires go/come from there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: