Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Severed wire. What is it?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zh007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Severed wire. What is it? Reply with quote

I've had some hesitation and lack of power lately in my '91 Carat. I found a very noticeable exhaust leak at the RR manifold and figured that couldn't be helping. So I started disassembling the exhaust system to install new gaskets and hardware.

While under the van though, i noticed a severed cable. It's black, about 1/4" dia, with a red wire and white wire inside. From the severed end, I traced it up under the intake, where it seemed to disappear going forward into the right rear side of the transmission.

First, what is it? Second, could it have anything to do with my hesitation, or my cruse control not working? And third, where does it go?! (I haven't located the other, presumably severed, end)

Thanks for the help!

Zach
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Severed wire. What is it? Reply with quote

pictures Zach, pictures!

auto or manual transmission?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Severed wire. What is it? Reply with quote

Reverse light switch or part of the diagnostics wiring if that was still around in 91
zh007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Severed wire. What is it? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
… or part of the diagnostics wiring if that was still around in 91

It appears Abscate wins the prize.

I found corroborating discussion in this post.

Here's to hoping my massive exhaust leak is causing my sluggishness!

Zach
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Severed wire. What is it? Reply with quote

The exhaust leak could definitely be causing your O2 sensor to have the wrong readings.
The exhaust gases while looking like it is a one way flow pulses like a heartbeat of a chipmunk every time an exhaust valve opens and closes.

It will suck in enough clean air to get pushed back downstream to fool the O2 sensor into thinking you are running cleaner then you really are sending the wrong signal to the ECU.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: