Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Master Cylinder
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Brake Master Cylinder Reply with quote

Will this master cylinder work on a 51 split? I know its not the correct part, but all my brake backing plates have already been changed to a later single bolt wheel cylinder. the one below resembles the one I currently have.
here is the description:
NEW Porsche356 356A 356B Brake Master Cylinder With Reservoir ATE OEM 356 42 020

and here is the link
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Porsche356-356A-356B-...SwVJhZO6bG

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Master Cylinder Reply with quote

Ethan,
That looks the same as an early Type 2 Bus master cylinder. The bus master brake cylinder is the type I used on my '56 Oval. The only difference is you have to use slightly longer bolts and nuts as the casting is drilled not threaded. Don't forget to make sure the bushings are inside the fire wall to prevent cylinder movement. Good luck.
Bob
'63 OG 117
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Master Cylinder Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Robert. It is now on my order list

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Master Cylinder Reply with quote

Well someone mentioned to me that the particular MC I posted above will have issues hitting the bulk head because it is not offset.

the one currently on my split does indeed touch the bulkhead
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Master Cylinder Reply with quote

The bus version gets used a lot but it has a 22mm piston I believe. I would suspect that is what is on your split. The version for the Porsche has a 19mm pistion so it will give much better pedal pressure required to stop. I believe that the Porsche version shouldn't hit the firewall but have not tried this first hand.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: