Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

So I’ve been looking for a nice Ragtop for awhile. Nothing was really popping up that interested me so I posted up in FB and here. After talking to a few sellers I was contacted by a longtime member here who’s car I had admired a few times and he said he was thinking of selling. Long story short and about 2-3wks later it’s mine. Some of you may recognize it:

Hey
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The driver hadn’t even left my street and I broke out the hose and bucket:

Next few weeks will be spent getting new wheels painted and installed along with some other minor changes. Nothing severe just making it mine.

Overall I’m happier than a seagull with a trench fry as my daughter likes to say. Has a few more gravel chips in the paint than I had hoped but the seller was very upfront that it was a driver. It’s still in great shape and nothing a little paint and detailing won’t remedy. Looking forward to driving the wheels off it.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

Looks Great!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

Beautuful!

My first car was a 1960 India Red ragtop....... still miss that car.....

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

memories from a different colour!

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
memories from a different colour!

Yep. Kinda wish he would have left it the two tone. Hmmm...
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Beautuful!

My first car was a 1960 India Red ragtop....... still miss that car.....

Dave

I was actually talking to someone locally with an Indiana Red Ragtop. Nice car but the more we talked, the more I realized it was too patina’d for me. At least for the price.

Just pressed the “submit order” button to WW. It’s been an expensive month 😂
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

it's kind of ironic that it's my 62 next to that car, maybe it should have been my Baja bug, which I also bought from Rick back in the mid 90s. (I've been a long time friend of Rick's since Porsche invented the Beetle. Okay, maybe I exaggerate a little)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
it's kind of ironic that it's my 62 next to that car, maybe it should have been my Baja bug, which I also bought from Rick back in the mid 90s. (I've been a long time friend of Rick's since Porsche invented the Beetle. Okay, maybe I exaggerate a little)

If its as rust free as this one is, LMK if you're ever in the markt to sell and maybe they can be reunited...

Wink
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

I've put well over 300K on my 62 before I stopped driving it, and I hate to admit, but it did gather a bit of oxidization over those years. Sad

Not too terrible, but it's there.

And then there's the Transworks transaxle, "our trannies NEVER go bad on 4th gear" but you'd never guess what happened to mine? Brick wall

jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

Indigo is such a great color. Beautiful Bug.
One of those colors that just gets better with age.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

Beautiful car!

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

jzjames wrote:
Indigo is such a great color. Beautiful Bug.
One of those colors that just gets better with age.

Ironically, I typically don’t like blue cars. The only time I’ve ever considered a blue car was when I dreamed of owning a dark blue speedster with camel interior. This is growing on me though. My wife hates the red wheels so I’ll be swapping them out shortly. I’ve got a set of white ones I’ll be putting on in the interim.

Thanks Flyboy.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

If you desire your wheels be "correct" follow this link

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/8_59_paint_book.php

Find your color and the factory colors are listed for just about every painted item on your car.......

Not your color but this is how the wheels were painted......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
If you desire your wheels be "correct" follow this link

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/8_59_paint_book.php

Find your color and the factory colors are listed for just about every painted item on your car.......

Not your color but this is how the wheels were painted......

Dave

Very cool and beautiful car. paint the green Indigo Blue and that's the exact look I'm going for. Slightly lowered with whitewalls. Very clean.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

First, nice car, congrats!

Sharp64 wrote:
My wife hates the red wheels so I’ll be swapping them out shortly. I’ve got a set of white ones I’ll be putting on in the interim.

I'm with her on that. I don't like the red wheels or hubcaps.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

Beautiful car, congratulations!

What does it have for go power Very Happy 36, 40, 1500-1600 or more?

I'm partial to the pre-'61 bugs and their drivetrains although early vw horsepower isn't spectacular.

How do you like the ragtop? Does it really let a lot of wind in when its fully opened at cruising speed? I've got a '63 rag clip just hanging out waiting for me to install it in my '59, maybe one day I'll have the nerve lol.

Again, nice ride - enjoy!

Ted
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

Kinda think if I kept it two tone it would still be residing in the Big Horn Basin Wink
Shoulda checked with the wife first on the wheel color choice and hubcaps Laughing
Yep the rock chips are an account I drove it. It has been in at least half the states.

You know that in May it needs to go on a 1000 mile road trip to a VW show as it has for the past 13 years?
power plant (sorry for the hijack)

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Kinda think if I kept it two tone it would still be residing in the Big Horn Basin Wink
Shoulda checked with the wife first on the wheel color choice and hubcaps Laughing
Yep the rock chips are an account I drove it. It has been in at least half the states.

So much for the claim that the car has never seen "salt". Wink
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

You know that in May it needs to go on a 1000 mile road trip to a VW show as it has for the past 13 years?
power plant (sorry for the hijack)

No worries. You were very clear it was a driver. As I said I’m absolutely good with it. Yeah the wife makes on sense. She tells me all the time how cute a buddy of mines 63 is with the baby blue paint and red wheels, but has mentioned no less than 5 times how much she hates the red. Likes the nipple caps just beacause they’re nipple caps!😂 no worries. Changes are coming....
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
Beautiful car, congratulations!

What does it have for go power Very Happy 36, 40, 1500-1600 or more?

I'm partial to the pre-'61 bugs and their drivetrains although early vw horsepower isn't spectacular.

How do you like the ragtop? Does it really let a lot of wind in when its fully opened at cruising speed? I've got a '63 rag clip just hanging out waiting for me to install it in my '59, maybe one day I'll have the nerve lol.

Again, nice ride - enjoy!

Ted

Ironically I’ve yet to drive it. Sitting at the tag office right now as I just got the insurance cards today.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: