Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new baby! Auction of fake 23-Window Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Just one more thing that makes ya go hmmmmmm. I don't remember '58s being able to do that with 0 assistance. Rolling Eyes
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Clara wrote:
same bus in July 2016, when it was for sale in brown/red:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=...77#8138125

So that previous sale was by user Iconic Motor Wrx

Iconic Motor Wrx - https://www.facebook.com/pg/Iconic-Motor-Wrx-1460589460853437/
is associated with BESPOKE KLASSICS LLC

https://twitter.com/iconicmotorwrx
Is this the same bus? https://www.instagram.com/p/BGLIz2wpp1_/
or this? https://www.instagram.com/p/BAxFeMVpp7Y/

Octavio Gutierrez is the registered agent and Andrew Kiemm is the organizer of Bespoke Klassics.

I bet one of them might have some more information.

The first pic is positively the same Bus, the second positively is not.

The funny thing about that first pic is that the caption reads "Guess the year"! Who the hell knows what the real year is and which section of the Bus are they referring to when wanting us to give an accurate answer?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGLIz2wpp1_/

Note that in the second pic the Bus pictured has original taillight holes in the low position while the fraud has them directly in the middle, not an original position for any year.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

For what it's worth, in my research of older ads on the site, the Bus was posted by 2 different users around that time.
My email records indicate Iconic Motor Wrx stated he was posting the ad for the owner. He asked me to remove his ad when I contacted him about the duplicate.

The other ad was apparently the true owner, as far as I know.

All of the previous ads and ad info I could find have been sent to the current owner.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Alan Brase wrote:

I'm not much of a Type 1 authority. did type 1's end using the 1- vins the same time the type 2's stopped using 20- vins? That is, I believe, the last day of 1955?

Yes, the 1- beetle VIN was used through calendar year 1955. ... but I don't feel like looking for the link.

That's a fine answer .
I thought that perhaps the different 3's were changed on both TYPES at the same time.
They were all Wolfsburg that month.
Is there another thread that is better to discuss VIN stampings?
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Factory VIN Stamping Reply with quote

Top 1953 factory pic (& caption) from p124 of the book "Als der Käfer laufen lernte" by Bernd Wiersch.
Stamped em neat, didn't he? Big hands.

Hope it turns out ok for you, nestbedding. Stinks.
The couple of guys in here defending the situation are emphatically embarrassing themselves, like the token dickhead cop in a Die Hard movie.
nestbedding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

I think at this point it's obvious that the only thing on the bus that is a 59 is the vin number
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Clara wrote:
Alan Brase wrote:

I'm not much of a Type 1 authority. did type 1's end using the 1- vins the same time the type 2's stopped using 20- vins? That is, I believe, the last day of 1955?

Yes, the 1- beetle VIN was used through calendar year 1955. This is shown on the VIN charts on this site, in John Muir's Idiot Guide which pre-dates this site, in the front of Parts Lists, which pre-dates Muir's book, etc.
I bet there is something in the bug forums that explains the different numbers in different places on your old type 1, but I don't feel like looking for the link.

That's a fine answer .
I thought that perhaps the different 3's were changed on both TYPES at the same time.
They were all Wolfsburg that month.
Is there another thread that is better to discuss VIN stampings?
Al

I fixed my quote for you... the way you edited it made it mean something else. Did you need me to help you to the link to the bug VINs? There is a blue bar near the top of the page.... hover your mouse over 'technical'.... Wink
I don't know of a VIN stamping thread. Yes, it is sort of a hijack, but sort of not, as a few people were claiming the VIN looked iffy. So I thought I'd look at VIN stampings.

Great pic of the guy stamping the VIN in with dies! Love it!
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Just a thought...............

When is a car no longer the car?
Now I am not knocking the car here, but I am using it as an example...... The No.2 Berlin to Rome Porsche that is currently on exhibit in the USA......How much of that car is original and how much of it is new? So if that car is still classified as the No.2 Type 64.............What is the difference from that car, to the bus in this topic?
Another example......the chassis of the 1937? VW that was found (and I think for sale), When that gets restored, is that a 1937 car then?

Again, I am not knocking anyones car....just raising a point for discussion.....
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:

Now I am not knocking the car here, but I am using it as an example...... The No.2 Berlin to Rome Porsche that is currently on exhibit in the USA......How much of that car is original and how much of it is new? So if that car is still classified as the No.2 Type 64.............What is the difference from that car, to the bus in this topic?
Another example......the chassis of the 1937? VW that was found (and I think for sale), When that gets restored, is that a 1937 car then?

Again, I am not knocking anyones car....just raising a point for discussion.....

I'll go: the difference is that no one claimed those cars were anything other than what they are, AND their restoration was done at a high level and documented by people with good reputations and a boatload of detailed pictures that will certainly accompany those vehicles in any future sales. So, what's different about this bus?
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:

Does that Porsche at least have a data plate/ID plate? Does the chassis number stamping look like this bus? Just presuming here, but there’s probably a paper trail and photo trail proving its provenance.

If everything was hunky dory with this bus, if they started out with a real 59 23W deluxe, even a rough hulk of one, you’d think they’d be posting pics of the “resto” in progress and putting all the doubts to rest.

I’m very curious how they got a title, and if it was issued by California, or from another state, and then California issued one based on the existing out of state title. There’s probably some way to avoid the California Vin verification.
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

I'd like to stick to the original topic about THIS bus and not other cars and what they did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:
I'd like to stick to the original topic about THIS bus and not other cars and what they did.
Ya, let's not get into: "Is it still a barndoor?... they replaced so much metal"
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:

Ok then....this bus.......It has a VIN, and it has a birth certificate to suit that VIN. I don't think there is any argument about the quality of work done on the bus, or the correctness of the panels and parts etc. They are crappy.
What proof is there that it wasn't a 23 window at some stage in its life?
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:
it has a birth certificate to suit that VIN.

It appears the Birth Certificate is a fake as well.

I have more than a dozen BC for various cars we own and all have some sort of water mark or special paper they are printed on. None are on plain paper like the one in the pictures.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen a pic of the complete BC, only a portion of it.
This BC was in the gallery....I don't see any watermarks....

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
nestbedding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

The birth certificate is not fake, that is merely a photocopy.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

I don’t remember if this is a pic or a copy... but, you’ll see the overall difference.
I could make mine look like yours in 20 mins.
(And I could add any info I wanted from any other BC I’d ever seen)
Apparently I may have already doctored out my name, can’t remember. Wouldn’t surprise me.

Modifying the other direction... would be more involved to make look legit.
Have a hard copy of the BC?
From what I remember... it’s not 8.5x11

It’s hard to believe how many eyes are on this.
This thread has more views than many “sticky” threads and other highly popular threads started over a decade ago... and we’re six days in.

nestbedding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your certificate. At this point, it really doesn't matter. The only thing on this bus that is a 59 23 window is the piece of metal that was welded in with the VIN on it.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

nestbedding wrote:
Thanks for sharing your certificate. At this point, it really doesn't matter. The only thing on this bus that is a 59 23 window is the piece of metal that was welded in with the VIN on it.

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
Boogery homemade transmission nose cone bracket to mate that 1967 Big Nut trans to the 36hp engine.

Obviously whoever put that combo together is in a league all his own...

The buses came with split case trannys through VIN 469 xxx, partway through 1959.
The front tranny mount is different for the two tranny styles. It is not a straight bolt in of a tunnel case tranny into a split case bus.

But it's a conversion people have been doing for decades.
The split case trannys
-have that lower gearing for smaller motor,
-must come to FULL and COMPLETE STOP before shifting into 1st or reverse, which is not good in rush hour traffic.
-more expensive to rebuild.
- easier to find a good spare tunnel tranny, as many more were made.

The ugly booger welds on your bus at the rear torsion area look like what was done to attach a later front tranny mount so they could install a tunnel tranny. There are many ways people have done this conversion, some more elegant, or less elegant, than others.

It means that while there is clearly a 63 to 64 big nose chunk welded on to the bus, it does look like it came with a split case tranny. That matches the VIN.

I can't tell from here if your bus is a legit 23 window, I suspect not.

this is a split case tranny in a split case bus:

tunnel case tran mount in tunnel case bus:

There are some threads you can find in the FAQ in this forum.

discussions on Tunnel-case / Split-case nosecone adapters
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=198546
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=201901
YadnusBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Looks like a panel bus front clip, no passenger side visor. And that westy rack is at least a 62 and up, it's missing a clamp, and they look kinda long like bay westy clamps but not sure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 34

Jump to: