Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

I have a 4x8 Aluma trailer, no brake.. Loaded it up to 1550 lbs and tow it with no problem at all... just try to avoid jerky maneuvers (quick lane change, sudden braking) and you will be fine...

have a good trip...
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

This is a helpful thread. Thanks, y’all!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Slightly off topic observations from a SP trailer guru

Replace your trailer tires every 5 years. A light use trailer tire won't last as long as a car tire in service and you don't get feedback when it goes bad. You can buy a 4.8x 80 tire on a wheel for about $25 , so a whopping $10 per year for good rubber.

Clean and pack bearings every 5 years and the will last forever, stick to SKF brand and not the ones that look the same and cost 1/3 as much.

Add a trailer package to your AAA/BoatUS/BikeUS plan if you go that route.

I carry a set of harbor freight magnetic lights which cost me $30 on sale. I got pulled over by smokey on I88 in NY, and avoided a ticket by whipping it out,

The mag lights, I mean , put them on, plugged in and lit them up, on my ways sans citation in ten minutes.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

And carry a spare tire for the trailer and a cheap scissors jack in order to replace it. It sucks to be stranded because you have no spare or jack to lift the trailer. They can usually be strapped onto the trailer somewhere. I keep mine in a heavy duty plastic bag to keep the sun from Uv degrading the spare.... (and I also carry a spare set of bearings and a very small tub of grease just in case, but I am OCD that way....)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Replace your trailer tires every 5 years. A light use trailer tire won't last as long as a car tire in service and you don't get feedback when it goes bad. You can buy a 4.8x 80 tire on a wheel for about $25 , so a whopping $10 per year for good rubber.

Clean and pack bearings every 5 years and the will last forever, stick to SKF brand and not the ones that look the same and cost 1/3 as much.

I carry a set of harbor freight magnetic lights which cost me $30 on sale. I got pulled over by smokey on I88 in NY, and avoided a ticket by whipping it out,

The mag lights, I mean , put them on, plugged in and lit them up, on my ways sans citation in ten minutes.

I’m a bit confused. Why were you pulled over? No lights on the trailer? Burnt out trailer lamp? What problem did the magnetic lights solve? Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
And carry a spare tire for the trailer and a cheap scissors jack in order to replace it. It sucks to be stranded because you have no spare or jack to lift the trailer. They can usually be strapped onto the trailer somewhere. I keep mine in a heavy duty plastic bag to keep the sun from Uv degrading the spare.... (and I also carry a spare set of bearings and a very small tub of grease just in case, but I am OCD that way....)

All good points. I'm not a trailer owner (yet) but have often wondered why trailer bearings are such an issue. Are they inferior to standard front wheel bearings which rarely have issues in 100,000 miles or more. In browsing trailers and parts I see a lot of references to special grease, special spindles and grease caps, etc.

I can see boat trailer bearing needing more maintenance due to water immersion (especially salt water), but a standard wheel bearing should go a long time. I do think the point about the tires is a good one though.

Also, whatever trailer I buy or build, I will go for a 14" tire as a minimum. Smaller tires at 65 mph would be really flying
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

If you have 12" rims you can get steel belted car tires for them, and they last much longer than the bias ply trailer tires and don't cost much more.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

I have never worn a trailer tire out on tread wear in my life. The best explanation for the shorter life I've read is the low use cycle doesn't keep the lubricants internal in the rubber distributed, so they die from internal friction and heat.

Four a under 2000# trailer the 4.8x 8 inch cheap tires will be fine at 60-65

Trailer bearing quality is far below cars, correct. They also require periodic check of end play which most users don't do.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I’m a bit confused. Why were you pulled over? No lights on the trailer? Burnt out trailer lamp? What problem did the magnetic lights solve? Thanks.

Lamps out on one side. Wire had drooped onto road and broken, so no chance of a road repair without materials. Technically, the mags aren't legal as they don't light up the license plate but NYsP will give you a lot of play if you have a backup and, of course, aren't a dick.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

oooohhh.. the fun of towing a trailer...

and then how to backup properly... turn the steering wheel left to get the trailer go right and so on...

if not that ... just unhook it and walking it by hand... Very Happy
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:

and then how to backup properly... turn the steering wheel left to get the trailer go right and so on...

I agree and I'd rather not tow one at all. That said, We have a lot invested in the van and it really fits the kind of camping we enjoy. The only downside is spending all that time setting up camp, awning, ground mat, running clotheslines and so-on. About the third or fourth day we get the urge to do a little sightseeing - that's where the bike come in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

Bought a used trailer with the spare on a separate mount. Discovered before I needed to that the nuts securing the spare to the frame are not the same size as the trailer lugs and the van lugs so it could have gotten messy out there on the road. I got a 4-way lug wrench and color-taped and labeled the two arms I need for the van/trailer/spare combo. As usual, make sure you can break the lugs loose while still at home. You'd hate to get out there and discover some tire shop guys had the air wrench set to 11 to tighten the lugs and that you only go to 10.
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Too bad your GS is so tall. I carry mine inside and love cruising along at 75 instead of being restricted with a 55 mph limit with a trailer on the interstate.

I’ve had many different bikes inside, from my Aprilia RS250 to my 500+ lb Kawasaki ZRX1200.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

In 1997 I trailered a small boat for 300 miles on tires from 1976

I was old and foolish enough. Now I'm just very old.

I think I still have one just to remind me
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
0to60in6min wrote:

I agree and I'd rather not tow one at all. That said, We have a lot invested in the van and it really fits the kind of camping we enjoy. The only downside is spending all that time setting up camp, awning, ground mat, running clotheslines and so-on. About the third or fourth day we get the urge to do a little sightseeing - that's where the bike come in.

Ah, back in the day, 1985, when I purchased my first Vanagon (83 Tin-top), I never knew much about a Westy. In fact, in my neck of the woods, I don't think anyone owned a Bay Bus Camper let alone a Vanagon Westy.

Anyway, we purchased it for a road trip to Alaska, planned for the summer of 86. We tented most of the 29 day trip. On the return we spent a night at a KOA east of Jackson Hole, WY at Pinedale. We met a guy and his wife and kids in a brand new 86 Westy from NH. We set-up our tents and headed for sight seeing..... That's when I knew that I would never want a Westy. So, over the next 17 years through 2003, we drove that old 83 back to Alaska 6 more times, pitching tents and hit cheap motels. Very Happy

Shortly after the 2003, I learned that I was facing retirement in about 5 years. So, I began looking for a Tin-top WBXer to do the TDI conversion with my mind set on pulling a PopUp Camper. I finished the project in 2012 after several personal delays. We've made two trips to Alaska pulling the camper... and never had an issue related to brakes or backing the camper. We did abort a 3rd trip last summer due to a number of reasons but none related to pulling the camper.

Below, at Toad River, BC ready for some local browsing...

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Quote:
Shortly after the 2003, I learned that I was facing retirement in about 5 years

Today you learn about retirement with about 5 minutes notice. Happened to me in 2008. Luckily I blundered into my own gig. It's sweet watching your old boss squeeze into coach while you sip the champagne in First
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Yeah, I wanted to work on for three more years. But, rules put in place in 1998 were forcing me out by the end of 08. I was fortunate to be able to stay with the same employer for over 33 years. Well, playing with VWs for the last 10 has been fun... (Oh, cannot leave out the grandchildren, who like to go camping too.)

Towing with a Vanagon is a bit tease in the beginning, but after a few miles you will relax. So far, I've not backed over the camper..... Very Happy
Brownj Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

It's great to learn that you all are towing motorcycles and campers with few issues. We just bought a 87 westy in october and I'd love to how my 1200gs. Now it looks like I can! Just ordered the Bostig kit so maybe power wont be terrible?
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
In 1997 I trailered a small boat for 300 miles on tires from 1976.

I just checked the date codes on my trailer tires today and they need to be replaced, though they're not as bad as yours were. Two are old and the third is older. Having had two different old Vanagon tires give out I really should not tempt fate because next time conditions can't possibly be as favorable as the first two.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

I do 5 years on the big trailers and 7-10 on the small, inspecting carefully for the second 5 years.

The small trailers never go far from home and I always have a spare and tools
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: