Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan.S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

So, got an excellent 74 Super that I daily, bought it 4 years ago with 68k original miles. It was all original besides some paint around early 80s. But, just put a disk conversion on the front and a larger clutch cylinder for safety on the daily.

What I知 looking for, is to personalize it, up the power and make it handle like it belongs on a track, some paint down the road.

Say there is a budget of $20k. What would you say....?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

Go for it Cool

http://aircooledtechnology.com/

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

Talk with these guys, there some of the best handling parts distributors in the business... RB

http://toplineparts.com/
54bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

Hi,
Hoping your research is going well. Thinking of your quest, and the results of my Beetle. I was really excited to build a faster, better bug. The result is all of that, but I didn't think of some of the compromises made in the planning. After you start, it may take a long time to complete.

My thoughts:
Handling: Sway bars, torque bars, better shocks, lower profile tires made the car handle great. The ride is very firm, amazing hook up under throttle, and great corning! To do this right you should rebuild the suspension, make sure the wheels and tires fit under the fenders. The completed car will have a very firm highway ride, unlike the stock ride. It's a lot of fun, but the new Golf is a better solution when driving home.

Power: Building power having a great transmission and shift are fun. Building and tuning an engine,intake/exhaust is some work and money. The better clutch/Pressure plate, Upgraded transmission/Differential, torque bar, and new trans mounts allow the car to connect with the road. Many of these changes increase road noise. Some of this can be fixed with insulation, but the my car is much louder on the highway.

Braking: Upgrade brakes where ever you can, make sure you can stop! I replaced what I didn't upgrade. Stop is more important than Go!

Stereo: Think carefully on your stereo investment. Mine sounds great, and looks impressive at the show. On the highway it has to be very loud with the road noise. One of the compromises.

Setup/Repair: Once you've changed the engine, trans, suspension, wiring, brakes, the maintenance becomes a challenge. Finding a shop that can do an alignment is difficult, finding a shop that will help with tuning is a challenge. Honing your skills to make it run right can be frustrating.

The finished product: I love my bug. My wife thinks it cute and fun, but doesn't like ride more than 30 miles in it. She will not drive it, she couldn't bear to risk damaging a car that took years to complete. Think of who will ride in it, and enjoy it, and how to keep them safe.

It's a great challenge. Drive your bug on the highway and visualize the car skipping along the bumps and seams. Listen to the road noise and contemplate what it might sound like. Imagine changes the seats and dash for the gauges. Could you fix, and rethink the changes to make it work well?
Think like an engineer and a car owner.

Have Fun, Scott[/list]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan.S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Go for it Cool

http://aircooledtechnology.com/

Thanks for the link!

RailBoy wrote:
Talk with these guys, there some of the best handling parts distributors in the business... RB

http://toplineparts.com/

Another thanks for the link!

54bug wrote:
Hi,
Hoping your research is going well. Thinking of your quest, and the results of my Beetle. I was really excited to build a faster, better bug. The result is all of that, but I didn't think of some of the compromises made in the planning. After you start, it may take a long time to complete.

My thoughts:
Handling: Sway bars, torque bars, better shocks, lower profile tires made the car handle great. The ride is very firm, amazing hook up under throttle, and great corning! To do this right you should rebuild the suspension, make sure the wheels and tires fit under the fenders. The completed car will have a very firm highway ride, unlike the stock ride. It's a lot of fun, but the new Golf is a better solution when driving home.

Power: Building power having a great transmission and shift are fun. Building and tuning an engine,intake/exhaust is some work and money. The better clutch/Pressure plate, Upgraded transmission/Differential, torque bar, and new trans mounts allow the car to connect with the road. Many of these changes increase road noise. Some of this can be fixed with insulation, but the my car is much louder on the highway.

Braking: Upgrade brakes where ever you can, make sure you can stop! I replaced what I didn't upgrade. Stop is more important than Go!

Stereo: Think carefully on your stereo investment. Mine sounds great, and looks impressive at the show. On the highway it has to be very loud with the road noise. One of the compromises.

Setup/Repair: Once you've changed the engine, trans, suspension, wiring, brakes, the maintenance becomes a challenge. Finding a shop that can do an alignment is difficult, finding a shop that will help with tuning is a challenge. Honing your skills to make it run right can be frustrating.

The finished product: I love my bug. My wife thinks it cute and fun, but doesn't like ride more than 30 miles in it. She will not drive it, she couldn't bear to risk damaging a car that took years to complete. Think of who will ride in it, and enjoy it, and how to keep them safe.

It's a great challenge. Drive your bug on the highway and visualize the car skipping along the bumps and seams. Listen to the road noise and contemplate what it might sound like. Imagine changes the seats and dash for the gauges. Could you fix, and rethink the changes to make it work well?
Think like an engineer and a car owner.

Have Fun, Scott[/list]

Good points all around. I am no strange to performance cars and how they handle. Ive been into tinkering with cars and owning some of the baddest. Moving my way up through the years has taught me one thing, comfort will always be sacrificed for performance gain lol.

My goal with this is to have something fun of my creation that is a head turner and a fun drive. My other current daily is a lifted Jeep Rubicon, so i need something low and quick again to have fun in.

Over the years I went through the gamut of 3kGT VR4, MKIII Jetta 01 Turbo beetle, SRT-4, BMW 1351, Audi TTRS, C7 Z06, and now I'm messing with this bug. All of them have been my daily drivers.

This Bug though on an entirely different platform from what im used to messing with, and that's what makes it awesome. My wifes first was a rusted out NY beetle, and we had a 73 Super for a couple years in Utah that we sold to make room for the 01 Beetle.

Overall, its hard to choose between the Bug and my Jeep lol.

I have a shop to assist with what I need locally for tuning and engine/trans work, but i can manage most myself except the paint lol.

I am a 19 year F-16 mechanic with the Air Force, I'm mechanically inclined, slightly.
Dan.S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

[img]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=190857681684593&l=ed47c67b01[/img]

This is a look I'm going for... with performance to match.

I have a thing for orange cars...

Here is the link to some of my recent cars...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.15386400...909737205b
Dan.S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

cant post pics for some reason...
54bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

Hey Railboy

Sounds like you are well on your way on your bug. PM if you want to exchange ideas. I'm living in MD in the DC Burbs... My bug is on the road if you want to see how my combinations work.

An installed part tells no lies.

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

Sell yours and buy mine. Problem solved. Haha. It is for sale btw...

Edit - got picture working

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679467

Last edited by Mid Engine Bug on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

This is going to be good. Looking forward to the build. Here痴 another good link

https://www.performanceworkshop.net/

And Hoffman Automotive. With more links.

http://hamheads.com/links.php

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

Read up through this thread, it has gotten watered down with random shit but has a lot of good points.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=401807

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

Dan.S wrote:

Looking for these?

RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

54Bug, yea, I am way into mine now, been set up for a few years now...

Mine is running all Topline Items, Suspension items plus brake items. Why, wanted bolt together items, plug and play per say. And yes, there are alternative ways to do a German Looker is what there refered as, but they can get way complimcated/require machining, like brakes from 944 I think.

Thing is with the Bolt On Items, Topline takes out the guess work. Also, if you are looking into Type 4 Power, let Topline know, they can give you pointers for the type 4 engine set-up has a little more weight to it, so they will give you pointers on how to "balance" the car out.

So, if you like, look into google images, German Lookers. You will see all kinds of set-ups world wide. I simply call mine a Retro German Looker. And yes, my car is Factory Black, so makes it more apppealing to me for a budget build type 1 power plant. Running a 2180. But yes, disk F&R from Topline as well. Plus rear sway bar, and total front end package.

Thing is with Topline, think his name is Jon, he is open to phone calls to give pointers, very nice gentelman to talk with. Oh, and to let you know, I am running Porsche Boxster Wheels F & R so running the Porsche Lug Pattern Topline drilled the studs for on the disk, so yes, total plug and play.

Hope you find this info relevent, yea, a type 4 power plant would be nice, and with your pocket book, bet you will have a very nice German Looker, also, you can look into widened fenders when looking into wheels and tire packages, Topline can help you out here as well.. Hope you have fun.. RB
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

Dan.S wrote:

Hey Dan....

Welcome to the craziness here...glad to see another Jeep guy on here...I am more of a flat fender Willys guy here tho...

These things have their quirks the same as any of the other stuff...once you get use to them they are not bad at all...

I will be following along on this thread for sure...

MikeC
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

that orange one the madd ell posted looks sweet!!!!
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

Wonder if the Orange one is all Glam with a Type 4 Engine?

See, it does appear very nice, but there could be Topline under it, which is one of Three Companies that sell this stuff around the world for Supers. Then there is custom machining. This can be for Brakes or anything. But back to the Three Big Companies.. Topline here in the U.S., then one in Europe, then one in Australia. Do know a guy who has two companie ones, then also doing the machining rout, and all he said was it is a project for sure..

Type 4 engines are nice if you can swing it, that is for sure. Lots of nice parts and man hours on the whole car overall from this distance anyway...RB
Dan.S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the replies and info!

Maddel wrote:
Dan.S wrote:

Looking for these?

Yes, that car is my inspiration for what I'm reaching for... If I could just buy that one, I would be satisfied. But I believe building my own to match the style with my personal traits will be epic!

The wheels there are a must, as I havent seen another set to match this look. Porsche Dynos, rare.

I need a place that can set up a motor and trans for me, any ideas?
Dan.S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

Mid Engine Bug wrote:
Sell yours and buy mine. Problem solved. Haha. It is for sale btw...

Edit - got picture working

Awesome creation! You found my other compulsion, WHITE! Look at my avatar, my preferred colors are Orange and White!
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

Dan.S wrote:
... I need a place that can set up a motor and trans for me, any ideas?
Check out this Samba forum: Performance / Engines / Transmissions

Off topic just for fun...
RailBoy wrote:
Wonder if the Orange one is all Glam with a Type 4 Engine?
Beware - all German: https://klaus-motoren.com/2014/12/16/kaefer-1303-sport-typ-4/

Another German company: http://remmelemotorsport.com/
A few impressions...

Dan.S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide me, fellow AirHeads, I知 in search of power and handling! Reply with quote

So far, I like this:

Mendeola front and rear A arm suspension setups:

$3300
$2400

https://www.coolrydescustoms.com/s-2-front-suspension.html

Corbeau seats:

$1200

http://www.lowbugget.com/o_mile_long_blocks3l.html

Under the Deck LowBugget Turbo 2332 Engine and Pro Street Plus transmission

$8500
$1589

Porsche Dyno Wheels: If I can find them

And then there are the miscelaneous pieces and finishing after...

Roughly $17k right here... room to grow, finish, and tie everything togeather with my budget of low $20k. What do you think?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: