Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1946 color info needed
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aircooledrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: 1946 color info needed Reply with quote

Im in the process of restoring a 1946 beetle. I have determined that the pan was painted green which i was told its called NATO Green. I need some sort of color mix numbers or formula ? thanks in advance
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1946 color info needed Reply with quote

Hi - NATO didn't come into existence until 1949. so it would have been called that originally, but is a similar colour. I've looked over many years to see what lines up with the colour you have on your chassis, which is the same as the early tinware around the engine.

I've therefore had the paint colour matched to bits of original tinware I have, but haven't had to do this for a while. As the 47 chassis has to be painted at some stage, I'll be facing the same challenge again soon. If I can find my colour chart tomorrow, I'll have a look for you. What type of paint are you going to use?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1946 color info needed Reply with quote

I have this original green color clamp from a 1946 distributor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SplitPersonality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1946 color info needed Reply with quote

RAL 6006 is your friend:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

.....but - the green color is slightly different for US Army deliveries vs Royal Army (UK). Do you know the build sheet for your car?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: