Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What fuel injection system is used on a 1973 vw 412 station wago
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ADIDAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: What fuel injection system is used on a 1973 vw 412 station wago Reply with quote

Does anyone know which fuel injection system was used on a 1973 412L station wagon. Pretty sure the engine is a 1.7 Does it have the D-jetronic or L jetronic? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
412STi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What fuel injection system is used on a 1973 vw 412 station wago Reply with quote

Hi

Our type 4 was equipped only with the D-Jetronic.

The oil can not be, was none in it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What fuel injection system is used on a 1973 vw 412 station wago Reply with quote

Would that make it a 412LE, not a 412L? Or were models not always perfectly synced with the badges?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What fuel injection system is used on a 1973 vw 412 station wago Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Would that make it a 412LE, not a 412L? Or were models not always perfectly synced with the badges?

The badges were a little different on 411 and 412. I have to look in the book but there were "L" models and non L- models through the range.

From memory the L was for automatic and the E was for injection...though we never saw the L or the E or the LE here in the US because except for gray market they were all auto with fuel injection....so they were all LE's.

Don't quote me on that...I am far from my books.

But....if it was a 412 of any type in the 1973 model year...it had D-jet injection in the US. The 412 did not get L-jet injection until the 1975 model year. There were even a few more that continued for a month or two into the 1974 model year with D-jet.

My 2 door 412 confuses some.....because...and again...dang...going off memory here...I "think"...mine is a November 1973....but its a Euro tourist vehicle import with four speed....steel bumpers and D-jet.

also....if it has a 1.7L engine...it has D-jet. The L-jet only came on the 1.8L Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What fuel injection system is used on a 1973 vw 412 station wago Reply with quote

Type 3 and 4 badging may not have been identical, but for the Type 3:

L Luxus (luxury, as in clock and carpeting!)
T Touring (Fastback)
E Einspritzer (German for injection)

So for my '71 US-destined (deluxe) fastback, the European scripting would have been VW1600TLE, but in the US, it just got VOLKSWAGEN. I have seen actual cars with this script, and I now have it on my US model, decked out with side parking lamps (tied to turn signals and 4-ways), halogen headlights, and amber rear turn signals (still MPH speedo, though).

Again, I haven't found any claim the Type 4 script suffixes were identical, but by then VW had standardized a lot of things like this...
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What fuel injection system is used on a 1973 vw 412 station wago Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Type 3 and 4 badging may not have been identical, but for the Type 3:

L Luxus (luxury, as in clock and carpeting!)
T Touring (Fastback)
E Einspritzer (German for injection)

So for my '71 US-destined (deluxe) fastback, the European scripting would have been VW1600TLE, but in the US, it just got VOLKSWAGEN. I have seen actual cars with this script, and I now have it on my US model, decked out with side parking lamps (tied to turn signals and 4-ways), halogen headlights, and amber rear turn signals (still MPH speedo, though).

Again, I haven't found any claim the Type 4 script suffixes were identical, but by then VW had standardized a lot of things like this...

The problem is that VW had more type 4 "packages" than we have letter identifiers.
I have never seen a "T" type 4...but its possible. In Europe and Australia teh badging was different also.

They had LE and LS in Europe...I think LE was 1800 twin carbs and LS 412 with injection.

I will have to wait until I get home to check books. Ray
Type4ever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What fuel injection system is used on a 1973 vw 412 station wago Reply with quote

Ray, in Europe LE means Luxury Einspritzung (Injection). Also possible with only E. In 74 we have 4 different 412's. 412, 412L, 412S and 412 LS. The first two with carburators 75 BHP. The last two (with S) 85 BHP. With L means also here Luxury-version.
937carrera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What fuel injection system is used on a 1973 vw 412 station wago Reply with quote

KTPhil is right on the type 3 designations, but they were not universal as there was not only the 1600 TL model, but according to my '72 MY brochure the 1600A was carbs while 1600E was the injection version

Type 4 was very similar, for the '72 model year in the UK there was only the 411LE, though on other European markets there was a lower spec 411E.

For the final model year in the UK there was the increase in engine size and designation change to 412LS.

In Germany however the final model year had 4 models:

412L
412S
412LS

the L designating the trim and the S designating the engine output, 75HP for the standard and 85HP for the S as type4ever posted above.

I didn't know about the lower output engine until I read the brochure just now Smile The compression ratio was lower at 7.8:1 rather than 8.6:1

That doesn't really answer the OP question though and the question is about US spec cars. According to type4.org the switch to L-Jetronic was made at the same time the European cars moved back to carbs

Best way to tell might be a picture of the engine bay and there's a b/w one here https://www.type4.org/manuals/ljet/components/ljet10.html#location-of-components[/url

A 1973 model year will be D-Jet, late 73 build /74 model year would be L-Jet

Hope that helps
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: What fuel injection system is used on a 1973 vw 412 station wago Reply with quote

937carrera wrote:
KTPhil is right on the type 3 designations, but they were not universal as there was not only the 1600 TL model, but according to my '72 MY brochure the 1600A was carbs while 1600E was the injection version

Type 4 was very similar, for the '72 model year in the UK there was only the 411LE, though on other European markets there was a lower spec 411E.

For the final model year in the UK there was the increase in engine size and designation change to 412LS.

In Germany however the final model year had 4 models:

412L
412S
412LS

the L designating the trim and the S designating the engine output, 75HP for the standard and 85HP for the S as type4ever posted above.

I didn't know about the lower output engine until I read the brochure just now Smile The compression ratio was lower at 7.8:1 rather than 8.6:1

That doesn't really answer the OP question though and the question is about US spec cars. According to type4.org the switch to L-Jetronic was made at the same time the European cars moved back to carbs

Best way to tell might be a picture of the engine bay and there's a b/w one here https://www.type4.org/manuals/ljet/components/ljet10.html#location-of-components[/url

A 1973 model year will be D-Jet, late 73 build /74 model year would be L-Jet

Hope that helps

Thank you for the info!

The type 4 line has always driven me crazy as designations, part numbering, standard equipment lists..etc....were widely varied over the range of markets.....and no two dealer parts books, fiche's or lists I have ever found....seem to have it all. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: