Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery Trouble
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Folkmanfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Battery Trouble Reply with quote

I am hoping to get some guidance...

My 87 weekender has killed two batteries.

This began after the Small Car Subaru conversion.

The first one I chalked up to being an old battery, but now with a second casualty this is clearly not the case.

I measured the draw at ~0.5 mA, which seems like it shouldn't be killing the battery.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Trouble Reply with quote

Need more info...
Define killing the battery?
What kind of battery?
How old the battery?
Do you have a battery load tester?
Is the battery warm after driving?
What the charging voltage at idle rpm and at 3000rpm?
Did you use a new alternator or a used alternator after the conversion?
What is the battery voltage at the battery right after you shut down after a steady drive?
If you were to disconnect the battery right after stopping for the day, what does the battery voltage read before you reconnect it?
How often do you drive it?
If you don't drive it often do you put the battery charger to keep the battery topped off?

If you walk out to the Vanagon after it sitting overnight and without putting the key in the ignition are any fuses warm to touch? Any relays warm?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Trouble Reply with quote

Folkmanfan wrote:
...I measured the draw at ~0.5 mA, which seems like it shouldn't be killing the battery...

That's .0005 amps which so close to nothing as to be the same thing.

If that measurement is accurate then I agree, you should be looking at the charging system.
Folkmanfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Trouble Reply with quote

Guys thanks for your reply.

Define killing the battery? Battery no longer holds a charge

What kind of battery? Duralast

How old the battery? Less than a year old

Do you have a battery load tester? I do not

Is the battery warm after driving? I have not checked. I will.

What the charging voltage at idle rpm and at 3000rpm? Forgive me, how do I figure this out

Did you use a new alternator or a used alternator after the conversion? The alternator appears to be the one that came with the Subaru engine

What is the battery voltage at the battery right after you shut down after a steady drive? I have not checked. I will.

If you were to disconnect the battery right after stopping for the day, what does the battery voltage read before you reconnect it? I have not checked. I will.

How often do you drive it? Once weekly

If you don't drive it often do you put the battery charger to keep the battery topped off? Yes - a battery tender

Thanks again for thinking about this problem and taking the time to respond. I will get answers to your questions I haven't answered yet.

Thanks again.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Trouble Reply with quote

Batteries don't charge very well when below 32°F so maybe get an electric heating pad for the battery.
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Trouble Reply with quote

The battery tender can kill your battery too if the output voltage is too high. I suggest you check that. To be save, build this battery charger :

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-12V-...dium=email

You don't need a lot of electronic knowledge to build this. Cost a little over $20 plus mounting hardware.

Set the output voltage 13.5V to 13.8V for float charging, set the current to less than an amp. You can also set the current higher if you want to use it as a charger. I set mine to 4A. It will charge the battery at constant current at 4A, when the voltage of the battery goes up, the current will drop, and the current will drop to very low when the battery voltage gets to what you set the output voltage to.

There are many suggestions for the float voltage, find one that you agree with on the web.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Trouble Reply with quote

Folkmanfan wrote:

What the charging voltage at idle rpm and at 3000rpm? Forgive me, how do I figure this out?

Thanks again.

Easy, with the engine running in idle just measure the voltage at the battery positive and negative terminals. That is what the alternator is putting into the battery.
1.) Have somebody step on the gas pedal to bring the rpm up to 3000rpm.
2.) A 1 Euro coin placed in-between the throttle stop screw and the stop will give you about 2000rpm if no one is around to step on the gas,
3.) Or if you had some extra wire you could connect to the pos/neg terminals and sit in the drivers seat and just measure the voltage with the wires in your lap.

Just out of curiosity, there is water in the battery right? Very Happy

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Trouble Reply with quote

Double check your draw to make sure it is only 0.5mA. If that is the case, I have no answer.

If your draw is more like 0.5A, then disconnect the alternator and check it again. If the draw is eliminated by disconnecting the alternator, I suggest tracing the wiring in the alternator harness. I had this problem about 5 years ago and I switched one of the wires in the alternator harness from B+ to Ign+ in the junction box on the fire wall of the engine compartment, which solved my problem. The alternator was drawing current with the engine off/key out. Switching the connection to Ign+ solved my problem.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Trouble Reply with quote

Nice little project there stevey88, I might have to build a couple. I could have used your design recently when I put together something similar. I built mine for powering my dc fridge when plugged into AC, while at the same time topping up the aux battery. I needed it to have universal AC input power so that meant most USA chargers couldn't be of use. Mine doesn't have a trim pot for max current though and mine cost a lot more.

Mark

stevey88 wrote:
The battery tender can kill your battery too if the output voltage is too high. I suggest you check that. To be save, build this battery charger :

You don't need a lot of electronic knowledge to build this. Cost a little over $20 plus mounting hardware.

Set the output voltage 13.5V to 13.8V for float charging, set the current to less than an amp. You can also set the current higher if you want to use it as a charger. I set mine to 4A. It will charge the battery at constant current at 4A, when the voltage of the battery goes up, the current will drop, and the current will drop to very low when the battery voltage gets to what you set the output voltage to.

There are many suggestions for the float voltage, find one that you agree with on the web.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Trouble Reply with quote

Is your battery dying over time? Meaning, does the van sit for months at a time? If so, any amp draw even MA can contribute to killing a battery.

J
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Trouble Reply with quote

bring the battery back to Autozone and have them check it out.
You said it was Duralast, isn't it warranteed?

John
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Trouble Reply with quote

I use one of these. It's is more convenient than using a multimeter at the battery and mine is very close to true battery voltage. Most only have one decimal place but this has 2 which is much more accurate. I don't leave it plugged in unless I am on the charger because it by itself uses some power.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I can plug it into the front dash plug and see what the starting battery is at. And with the engine running I can tell if it is charging and at what voltage. I have a 12V plug in back that runs off the house battery so I can check the house battery too (when the van isn't running) and I can tell if the house battery is charging when the van is running.

I can also see how my trickle charger is doing from this. Really handy. And it helps me guesstimate how much my batteries are depleted after a night of running the heater.

If you are trickle chargng your batteries, it should stay charged up all the time. Most trickle chargers would not hurt your battery, they are made to be left on. I would also check that your battery connections are tight. You don't have an OBDII port connected to your subaru all the time do you? That can draw a bit of power.
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Trouble Reply with quote

Mark,
It is not my design. I actually use an old Sony laptop power supply that can supply 8A instead of the switching power supply module.
crazyvwvanman wrote:
Nice little project there stevey88, I might have to build a couple. I could have used your design recently when I put together something similar. I built mine for powering my dc fridge when plugged into AC, while at the same time topping up the aux battery. I needed it to have universal AC input power so that meant most USA chargers couldn't be of use. Mine doesn't have a trim pot for max current though and mine cost a lot more.

Mark

stevey88 wrote:

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: