Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop top latch issue
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
David8dixon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Pop top latch issue Reply with quote

I recently bought a 2002 weekender and had a pop top latch issue while driving the van home (out of state purchase) in high winds. When looking at the latch system (looking in the direction of the front end of the van), the left latch is the culprit. This is the latch that is freed by pulling the lever mounted in the ceiling. From what I can tell the latch is basically a bolt with a nipple on one end that seats in a hole where it makes contact with the lever to lock into place. It is bolted into place on the pop top in a threaded hole. There are also two plastic spacers a spring and a nut. Description aside, I was driving late at night in high winds that I believe caused the bolt to loosen. Out of nowhere the poptop popped up a few inches and was luckily caught by the other latch. I literally have never popped the top and was now faced with diagnosing the problem in high winds at midnight in a gas station parking lot. In doing so I lost the spring but I was able to get the latch to function again.

The question finally: anyone know where to order springs or a new latch kit? Anyone had similar experiences with the pop top latch? Thoughts on ensuring the latch doesn't unscrew again?

I will post pictures later.

Thanks,

David
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top latch issue Reply with quote

That bolt/nipple is supposed to have a lock nut on it that you can tighten down to keep it from loosening. The bolt itself is threaded so that you can adjust it to the right length to securely latch without any play or gap in the roof, then you lock it down in that position with the nut.

If that nut was present and tight but it still came loose, you may want to put some loctite on the bolt threads to help hold it in place.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top latch issue Reply with quote

It's vw part 191 823 507 https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+part+191+823+50...fox-b-1-ab

it's actually the upper hood latch from an early 90s jetta or passatt and one of the few parts on this van that isn't Eurovan specific (starts with 701). You can probably get one from a local junk yard.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top latch issue Reply with quote

If you've got all the pieces there, you just need to adjust it. Remove it from the ceiling by unscrewing the two nuts on either side of the latch. You'll see how the main pin (the one with the spring) can be adjusted/tightened from behind. From there, adjust the end of the pin by screwing it inward with a flat-head screwdriver.

you should have to tug down the roof a bit to get that main latch to close. Too tight and you won't get it all the way, too loose and it'll catch wind.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top latch issue Reply with quote

While the poptop latch subject is fresh, does anyone have tips/tricks for keeping it from squeaking on bumpy roads? I've had 2 eurovans nown and both of their poptop latches squeak. I've tried adjusting the tension and some light lubrication but the squeak came back.
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top latch issue Reply with quote

I just recently tried white lithium grease. Haven't had a squeak from there in over 2 months. I'm sure it's a solution that will have to be re-applied over time though.

Now if the rest of the squeaks can be addressed! I'm taking them on one at a time...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top latch issue Reply with quote

Where exactly did you apply the lithium grease to get the squeaking to stop?
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top latch issue Reply with quote

Here, you can see the mess I made... but no more noise.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jt lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top latch issue Reply with quote

I have a 2003 Eurovan Week-ender. I have not opened the pop-top for about 3 years. Today I attempted to release the latch with the lever, and was unable to get the latch to release. I have not tried to use any extra force on it. Any suggestions?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top latch issue Reply with quote

Did you try pulling down on the black handle while moving the lever?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jt lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top latch issue Reply with quote

Yes, I just tried again, with no success. I am a little concerned about fracturing the handle while exerting a large force. What do you think?
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top latch issue Reply with quote

I was going to suggest the same thing @Zeitgeist13 did. Usually pulling down on that black handle loosens up the pressure that is binding the latch.

As far as breaking the handles, both are pretty tough. The latch handle in particular is tough — basically a solid piece of steel with a dipped plastic cover on it.

To make sure we’re understanding, you can’t MOVE the latch lever, correct (or, similarly, can’t move it enough to unlatch the top)? It’s not a case of A) moving the lever freely and nothing happening, or B) the latch releasing initially, but the second “safety latch” preventing the top from opening all the way up. Right?
jt lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top latch issue Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.
Yes, I cannot get the lever to move to the right; there is quite a bit of resistance. I have felt a little give in the handle when I have pulled down, that is why I was wondering about damaging the handle. Do you think more strength is the answer?
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top latch issue Reply with quote

Probably, yes -- on the pulling down part especially. The black "pull down" handle does have some flex to it.
mvaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top latch issue Reply with quote

maybe try when it's cooler out.

i find the latch tight when hot (direct sun) and loose in the morning.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top latch issue Reply with quote

Yes, temperature can make a very significant difference, as things expand in the heat.

You’ll probably want to adjust the latch bolt inside once you get the top up.
jt lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top latch issue Reply with quote

I had a friend stop bye to help me with the latch. I pulled with both hands and he pushed and jiggled the lever. After two three rounds of this, the latch released. Wow.
I had thought about the temperature component, but didn't have to try that.
Shortly before I closed the top last, (about three years ago), I had installed a new pin and latch unit. I probably lowered the pin too far down; maybe I should raise it just a little.
I bought the Eurovan new in '03, and have never had any trouble opening or closing the top.
Thanks for everyone's input.
Kook Skywalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top latch issue Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem. I just installed a new weatherstrip/gasket around my weekender pop top and after closing it I can't get the main latch to release. I can push it to the right and it feels 'springy' but no matter how hard I pull down on the roof I can't get it to unlatch.

Any other suggestions!

thanks!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top latch issue Reply with quote

My spring and bolt came off, and after ordering the new assembly, a jetta hood/lock assembly.

While installing the lock I found the nut lock washer and spring in the off others
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: