Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

lifting super beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
perrycody16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: lifting super beetle Reply with quote

hey guys. me again. i want to get my super into the air for some offroading (PLEASE DO NOT GIVE ME MORE LINK TO WHY A SUPER IS NOT A GOOD OFFROADER), and I want to know how to get more height in the front and back. Longer shocks in the back? Coil spring spacers in the front? What works? I have also heard of rabbit springs inside of stock super springs for more height but I need to know how to do that

1972 VW Super Beetle
Baja Style for light off-roading
Body Straight with some rust
No paperwork
------------------------------------------------------
"Don't worry. I'll find it. That's what I do, find things. I find you annoying. See?"

"Hmmm, feathers in your armpits. Tickle yourself stupid."
_____Sleep Talkin' Man
pafree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rear is easy. just reindex the springplates a couple notches, notch the spring plates for more travel and change CV joints if the angles become too extreme.

the front as you know is the tricky part. if i was to try this project, i would go with strut spacers (if you weld then homemade would let you make them as tall as you want), camber adjusters and reinforce the suspension pieces with extra steel to keep bending to a minium. here is a thread but dont read the your going to put your eye out first part and go on to the second. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=321797 you are mainly have to look at your front suspension parts and reinforce what you think might bend when it hits a rock. play in your mind which way the wheels will want to move and pressure that will be applied to which area of the suspension connections. you might even reinforce the sheet metal with plate where the suspension connects to the body and fab new suspension pieces out of harder steel. when you are done, take it out and beat the he## out of it and see what you can do to make it better or stronger.

make this work and prove the world wrong and get rich selling conversion kits to the super baja builders. you dont even have to put my name on it.
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: lifting super beetle Reply with quote

Look up the number and Call www.toplineparts.com

The rear can be done without and new parts

The front is a different story

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This might work.

Don't bitch about the price and I won't mention that your lifting a super!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really care that you are lifting a super....but trust me....this will not live 100 miles. You will need major welding and strengthening at the upper strut mount. For that matter...youwill need to be using something like that from topline shown in the last post....although there are much better (Foxx, Bilsteain etc.). Expect to have to spend in the neighborhood of $1300 to $1500 for the fully adjustable strut units.

Also....you WILL need to cut the chassis and weld in totally difffernt upper mounting points for the shocks mentioned. Also....you do not have the range of travel on the control arms necessary for this. You will need to make custom mounting points for them.
Also....the ball joint internal springs on the stock super beetle ball joints...will not survive the first two jumps before they shatter. You will need an aftermarket custom balljoint source. There are some good ones....figure about $300-500 for all it entails.

You will need a full triangulated frame for the front end to keep the strut towers from collasping...even going over minor 6" to 1' high jumps and ruts.

Its not that people are giving you crap about working with a super beetle...its just that you have no idea whats involved here with this suspension system. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perrycody16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok....Now i know about the back. How do I adjust it? never done this before and I just need some extra ground clearance for some backroads and hills out at prairie city.

1972 VW Super Beetle
No paperwork
"Don't worry. I'll find it. That's what I do, find things. I find you annoying. See?"

_____Sleep Talkin' Man
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with raygreenwood. know one is just giving shit over A super baja.. lots of people have thot about it and A lot have tried it.. It's A lot of work and A lot more money, If you have both Go for it, Id love to see A Super Baja!
pafree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are videos on how on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=loweri...mp;spell=1 the videos are to lower but it gives you the ideal how to do the job. also check the stickys in the offroad section on this site. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61284

rock on dude. if you rip the frontend out of it then just swap the frame head and put a beam on it. run what you brung, fix it all week and tear it up on the weekend.

superbeetles are tougher than you think and sometimes they just wont die.

Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your just doing some basic off roading supers can work well, its when u start launching over jumps and stuff they start to suffer

but when i was a kid we had a 72 super for a paddock basher and mates had a 73 super and both stood up to years of offroad abuse, it was only the bodies rusting away that killed them.

you raise the front abit but not much cos it frigs with the suspension geometery.
you can get about 1" lift by rewelding the lower spring cup higher on the strut and swapping the upper spring plate to a 2 bolt style gives about 1.5" lift as well but the key to good ground clearance is bigger tyres

adjustable struts like above wont be any use, as all of them are shorter to start with, so they lower anyway then theyre only designed for going down not up

another member on aussieveedubbers has a superbaja too
its got some decent clearance just with bigger tyres

perrycody16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buggin_74 wrote:
if your just doing some basic off roading supers can work well, its when u start launching over jumps and stuff they start to suffer

but when i was a kid we had a 72 super for a paddock basher and mates had a 73 super and both stood up to years of offroad abuse, it was only the bodies rusting away that killed them.

you raise the front abit but not much cos it frigs with the suspension geometery.
you can get about 1" lift by rewelding the lower spring cup higher on the strut and swapping the upper spring plate to a 2 bolt style gives about 1.5" lift as well but the key to good ground clearance is bigger tyres

adjustable struts like above wont be any use, as all of them are shorter to start with, so they lower anyway then theyre only designed for going down not up

another member on aussieveedubbers has a superbaja too
its got some decent clearance just with bigger tyres

Nice super! I am planning to go with that color paint but black QP's and fenders. What did you do the front and back to get the lift?

1972 VW Super Beetle
No paperwork

_____Sleep Talkin' Man
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that ones not mine but all we did with mine was at the back wound it up a 1 spline and front dad just welded the spring cup abit higher

cos it was just a paddock basher i took all the gaurds off and we got some old worn 4wd offroad tyres for free from the local tyre shop

bout the same size as what was on that bug but it was 16 years ago so cant remember sizes
perrycody16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you move the lower spring cup? I think it welded all the way around, right?

1972 VW Super Beetle
No paperwork

_____Sleep Talkin' Man
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep they are, best way is to spin the weld off in a lathe but if your very carefull you can grind them away with a small grinder,
thats how i used to do it
Shawn_Wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: lifting super beetle Reply with quote

I lifted my super. I did the standard spline turn on the spring plates in the rear. On the front, I did two things, I got some "rally springs" from aircooled.net. That didn't do what I wanted it to so i cut and re-welded the spring cups on the strut housing. I moved them 1.5 inches up. With the springs, I probably netted about 2-2.5" lift. I don't understand why everyone craps all over the idea of lifting a super. I say: Everyone slams a super, why not do something original? And I don't understand all the talk about the struts failing either. If you plan on doing the baja 1000, don't use a super beetle, but lets be honest, most people who modify vehicles just want something that looks cool. I drive my super off road plenty, just dirt roads, nothing too extreme but I've taken it plenty of places that you would never be able to take a modern 2WD car. I actually have more ground clearance on my beetle than I did on my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. So far, after a year of driving it, my suspension hasn't failed. People act like the oil filled strut is all that's holding up your car, there are still springs, coil springs. Modern Jeep Wranglers all use coil springs. I'm ranting a bit now, but yes, you can lift a super, it's not that hard, it will last way more than "100 miles" despite what people may tell you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shawn_Wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: lifting super beetle Reply with quote

Here's some photos of my lifted super. The suspension is holding up fine after a couple years. It's the dang motor that I can't keep running! You can see in the photos that it's not a baja monster, just a small lift to give it that off-road look and ability. It actually has pretty good ground clearance and I've added a skid plate. I also added a strut tower brace to stiffen up and strengthen the front suspension. Front bumper mounts are welded to make them solid and the bumper and mounts are reinforced so that I can use the welded d-rings on the front to get towed when my motor craps out. I added some race style bucket seats too which were a huge upgrade. These pictures were taken before the interior upgrades though.

The idea is for this to be my flagship vehicle for the overland and camper van gear company my friend and I started www.vanlifegearcompany.com. I like showing that you don't have to fit one specific mold and that your car should be an individual expression of you and what you think is cool and what makes you happy.

Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: lifting super beetle Reply with quote

Shawn_Wood wrote:
I don't understand why everyone craps all over the idea of lifting a super. I say: Everyone slams a super, why not do something original?

I have more air time in my old Bugs than my brother had in his Cessna.

Offroading is all about the weakest link. The weakest link in the Super is the strut front end. Beat on it hard, you will separate a ball joint. If you've ever broken a ball joint you know you be goin' nowhere. There isn't really a bush fix to get you home. What I'm sayin is beat on it hard, you be walkin'.

Further, think about the ordinary plain Jane standard Bug. Suspenstion loads don't transfer into the body. The Super transfers suspension loads into the body. A strut tie bar as often seen on watercooled VWs is a good idea.

Time for one of my trademark apples 'n' oranges anecdotes. Years ago a kid showed up at my shop with one of those 4WD Toyota Tercel mini- hearse wagons, 1988 or so. He had been pestering me for a VW, his mother bought him the mini- hearse instead. Kid figured it was four wheel drive, why not do a little four wheelin'? Which he did. Turns out the strut tower(s) tear loose in a Tercel before the single solitary forlorn ball joint (on each side) fails. Kid tore the spot welds out of the strut towers just like a broken zipper.

I managed to jack, crank and hammer the strut towers half- assed (maybe 3/4- assed or better) into alignment. I drilled through the spot wels everywhere I had good contact and twisted in some enormous sheet metal screws to temporarily hold it. I then removed the screws one at a time and rosette welded each hole with my trusty SP100. When I had some of the sheetmetal where I wanted it and restrained I hammered the rest of it to where I wanted it and welded that down. It was probably stronger than new when I was done. I threw a quickie string, tape measure and broom handle alignment and got it reasonably right, surely better than it was with one strut tower flappin' and the other half torn loose.

That's why you want to adopt one of the many forlorn Baja bugs that are littered across the California countryside. Beat on a Super Beetle offroad, you will learn all the reasons why you shouldn't.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: lifting super beetle Reply with quote

Rally springs
Cut relocate the lower cups.
Lifted spindles.

Find DustBugy on YouTube. Yes they’ve probably got high dollar in the front end but still.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2423734
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: