Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Left lights on. Battery died... and so did aux battery?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Left lights on. Battery died... and so did aux battery? Reply with quote

Some new information. Thick blue cable from Stinger fuse heads out rear of aux bat compartment and feeds amplifier. Photo to follow.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Left lights on. Battery died... and so did aux battery? Reply with quote

Ok, I think that explains why both batteries drained flat when you left the outside lights on. It also means that red fuse is burned out.

Mark

Boas wrote:
OK, switched out fuses and door light came on.
Now switching the red fuse back in and will reconnect aux negative terminal.
Boas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Left lights on. Battery died... and so did aux battery? Reply with quote

Here's image of amplifier.

Red input at top is blue cable from Stinger...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Left lights on. Battery died... and so did aux battery? Reply with quote

OK, so,
1. Do I still need to use blue 15 fuse in slot 3 and try the radio, or is that moot now?
2. I can replace that red fuse with a new one
3. I'll charge the aux batt
4. Anything else I should do to fix the situation? So future dumb move doesn't drain both aux and started batt?
Boas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Left lights on. Battery died... and so did aux battery? Reply with quote

Note: reconnected neg post on aux batt. Installed new red fuse in slot 3. Door light working.
Still wondering about Q 4, above.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Left lights on. Battery died... and so did aux battery? Reply with quote

I'd say there are at least 2 problems that led to the dead aux battery. So more investigation is needed to resolve things completely. Next is to figure out why the aux battery seems not to be getting a charge from the alternator. Do you have a voltmeter for testing?

Mark
Boas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Left lights on. Battery died... and so did aux battery? Reply with quote

I do, but I think I've run out of time today. Going on a long (non-road) trip tomorrow, back in 10 days and back at it. Hope I am lucky enough to find you active on the forum then!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Left lights on. Battery died... and so did aux battery? Reply with quote

No worries, we'll get back to it when you return. I would unhook the aux battery negative while the van is parked when you are gone.
Boas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Left lights on. Battery died... and so did aux battery? Reply with quote

OK, great. Will do.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Left lights on. Battery died... and so did aux battery? Reply with quote

Without heavy cabling you won't be able to jump start the engine off the auxiliary battery. When properly connected, the two batteries do recharge when the engine is running. When the engine is off, the batteries should be isolated with the stock setup. So if you use an external battery charger, only the battery the charger is connected to will charge. You'd want the items that you use while stationary to get power from the auxiliary battery. This prevents running down the starter battery.

I would recommend disconnecting the auxiliary battery while you charge it back to life and then sort out the previous owners wiring job. You will get it sorted. There are a few options other than stock, but sort what you have first.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Left lights on. Battery died... and so did aux battery? Reply with quote

FWIW You can use regular jumper cables when needed to connect the two batteries for starting if your starting battery goes dead again.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Left lights on. Battery died... and so did aux battery? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
FWIW You can use regular jumper cables when needed to connect the two batteries for starting if your starting battery goes dead again.

👍🏻 Exactly. Used it myself for that very thing as well as working out a bad/weak ground strap connection (using the seat belt bolt on the pedestal from the - terminal).

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Left lights on. Battery died... and so did aux battery? Reply with quote

wyldryce wrote:
The "stinger " appears only to be a fused lead off the positive terminal for a stereo or amp. If charging the aux battery up doesn't bring the stereo back online, checking that fuse would be a worthwhile step.

yes, it looks like a high amp connector to me - could be a fuse hidden inside tho

I did not see the silver cube in his pics but it is indeed the stock battery separator

OP will need to trace all the wiring - the PO did not provide any documentation of what was done, did they?

the OP will want to carefully draw out and save his notes on the connections - everybody thinks they will recall what they did, but they don't

I have seen a lot worse PO moron infestations so do not despair just get to it
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Left lights on. Battery died... and so did aux battery? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
dobryan wrote:

👍🏻 Exactly. Used it myself for that very thing as well as working out a bad/weak ground strap connection (using the seat belt bolt on the pedestal from the - terminal).

But that won’t help if both batteries have died.

RonC
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Left lights on. Battery died... and so did aux battery? Reply with quote

You could also wire up a relay to the "key in ignition" wire that turns off the lights when you pull the key out. I did this for the stereo (and also installed an on-on switch so I could run the stereo without the key). Also, I believe Go Westy sells a kit that provides a "lights on - engine off" warning buzzer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Left lights on. Battery died... and so did aux battery? Reply with quote

snowsyncro wrote:
Paulbeard wrote:
dobryan wrote:

But that won’t help if both batteries have died.

RonC

Correct. (Just letting the OP know that although the combiner wiring is not enough to start the vehicle it can be done via regular jumper cables.)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: