Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first type III
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

Volktales wrote:
Clatter, if you still have those reinforcement sections, I would definitely be interested! I really want to return this area to full strength, and look original. A friend of mine has the skill and patience for this kind of work, but it would be nice if we had some new original metal to be able to weld back in place. For now I want to repair this area and install the rust free fenders the previous owner supplied with the car. Eventually I wish to repaint the whole car to original, but for now would like to get it decent looking, and back on the road. I really miss driving this car and before you know it summer will be here... My teenage kid is still not showing much interest in old VWs, and he is very open in his criticism of the Fastback. He complains it is too much of a "granny-mobile". Too bad for him, I am going to drive it as much as I can! Very Happy

You need to show him some of Nate's videos of Nate's shop car. You know, some of his racing against the clock, or his trip to Bonneville. Things like that. It might spark his interest a little seeing what an "old granny mobile" can do. After all, Nate's Square has written on the rear apron "Not your grandma's Square".
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Heard about a stash of Type 3 parts locally, so I had to take a look. This poor old Fasty was slowly dissolving into the earth. BUT it had a great windshield in it and I happen to need one. Has some other decent parts still on it including the complete gas heater. Got the whole stash including a pickup full of parts for cheap. Now I just have to figure out how to drag it out of there...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
Evilgtiguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

Doesn't part of you want to save all the old air cooled VWs that you come across? I need a bigger garage.
92 Nissan 240SX turbo
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

Evilgtiguy wrote:
Doesn't part of you want to save all the old air cooled VWs that you come across? I need a bigger garage.

I DO want to save them all. Sadly, I can't do that, but have tried my best. Most of my VWs were bought as non-running wrecks in danger of being scrapped for parts. This latest Fasty is far too gone, though.

This is one of my other VWs. I would love to save it too, but reality is striking in my middle age and the magnitude of hopelessness is sinking in...

And I need a bigger garage too. A warehouse would be nice... Very Happy And lotsa money....
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

Where did this Fasty land? Did you ever futz around with the gas heater? Do you still have the fasty?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

Well lets see what has been going on...

This is what she looks like today. Sitting in the sulking corner, waiting for me to get back at it. The project stalled out due to the rust in the front inner fender reinforcement panels. A friend who is a much better welder/fabricator then me intended to repair this tricky area, but he has been just too busy to take on the project. Life has gotten in the way for me too, as other things keep taking my attention away from the poor Fasty. But it is not all doom and gloom. At least the car has been slumbering in a nice warm dry garage, and yes I have started it up occasionally. And I am still accumulating parts for the eventual restoration. Including a very special "part"...

A friend spotted this for sale online and local to me, as he thought I might know if it was something I might be interested in. I was! I had never seen one of these Bosch EFAW 193 units in person, and I jumped at the chance to pick it up for a small price. The seller had got it in a job lot of automotive equipment, and had no idea what it even was... It had 50 plus years of hard use and it showed.

But that is all fixed now after a mini restoration. Looking forward to trying it out on the Fasty when I get a chance. My current project is doing some painting on my '64 Karmann Ghia. My Dad and I used to restore cars together, but Dad did all the bodywork and paint. He is quite elderly now and cannot do that work anymore. So I have been learning how, and I guess the Ghia is practice before attempting serious bodywork and paint on the Fasty. I can't afford professional body and paint, but I CAN learn how to do it. Going to busy for a bit but do fully intend on getting back onto the Fasty; and it will be up here for all to see when I do...

I was also considering putting up the restoration pictures of the D-Jetronic tester if anyone is interested in seeing something like this...
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

Volktales wrote:
Well lets see what has been going on...

I had never seen one of these Bosch EFAW 193 units in person, and I jumped at the chance to pick it up for a small price. The seller had got it in a job lot of automotive equipment, and had no idea what it even was... It had 50 plus years of hard use and it showed.

I was also considering putting up the restoration pictures of the D-Jetronic tester if anyone is interested in seeing something like this...

Yes please post them up. I've only seen one in use once, and that was an invader's and at an Invasion. Russ and Jim Adney were using it to help get the car running correctly after coming back to the Invasion site on a flatbed. The Invader bought the unit.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

Ok, I will post up some restoration pictures of the D-Jetronic tester. Probably will start a different thread for this, but not sure which category to put it under...
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type III Reply with quote

Well it is the end of an era...

My beloved Fastback is heading off to a new home. Looking around my varied projects, I realized I have not done any significant work to this car in many years. Worked stopped due to the necessity of repairing some tricky rust in the front inner fender structure. I had hoped to resolve this some time ago, but life and aging have gotten in the way and I don't see the restoration recommencing on the horizon. I have been feeling guilty about not getting back to this car and was not happy to find out even the fuel in the tank is starting to go bad. Time to let her go...

The good thing is the car has been passed on to a friend of mine who has basically turned into the Type 3 guru in these parts. Him and another friend share the same garage, and both of them are Type 3 nuts and have many between them. So it went to a good home, along with the extensive stash of Type 3 parts I had managed to acquire. The new owner has already begun the body repairs that I stalled out on. and the car should be back on the road in the spring if everything works out. Very happy about this.

And of course with the space now available in my garage, and the funds it generated in my pocket, you just know I had to replace it with something else. And that is exactly what happened. And the new project is not requiring welding, so it SHOULD progress better then the Type 3. We will see about that... I will update this topic for the new owner as he progresses with repairs... So far he is pleased with what he has received.

And here is a link to what I replaced the Type 3 with. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I do like them, and this one does not need much work to be a daily driver...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Near the bottom of page 2 is the replacement...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: