Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

82 diesel Caddy project truck build thread
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: 82 diesel Caddy project truck build thread Reply with quote

My boy turned 16 last fall and more than anything he wanted a diesel golf MK1 pickup truck! Being in the rust belt, we searched for months and finally found one for a great price!! Took a few months to get the title sorted out, but it's game on now!!! Came with an extra transmission & engine in the bed!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The interior is in decent shape:

We found a spoiler for it at the last swap meet:

When we bought it we were told he had purchased it from an estate auction & that the head gasket was bad. He hadn't tried to start it. I determined the fusible link for the glow plugs had blown & replaced it. It then fired right up, but ran poorly. We then drained out the old stinky fuel & put in fesh & she runs great:

Link

Now the plan is to pull the engine, rebuild it, address any rust, go through the mechanicals & get her back on the road as soon as possible!
'76 Westfalia camper, the wife's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
damac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 diesel Caddy project truck build thread Reply with quote

i had one of these just to have a truck around years ago, mostly for dirtbikes. not very comfortable for me, i put in a later seat that angles down to keep your head from cieling and a smaller steering wheel.

couldn't stand the 1.6 in it and put 1.6td stock and that was better but still not enough.

i bought a spring kit for the rear to raise it up which almost sat level with 2 dirtbikes and all the gear, it rode great with weight in the back. doable but a little jumpy with nothing. brake upgrade good if putting weight in it.

handy little trucks. you could still probably atleast get the job done with a regular 1.6. i just couldn't keep up on the highways in california and would have no power to merge, etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: