Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sealing the engine compartment Baywindow Van
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BM3Gross
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Sealing the engine compartment Baywindow Van Reply with quote

So if you click to 3:07 on the video I have a large opening behind my engine. Not to sound dumb but is there suppose to be an engine tin that goes there or did I order the wrong seal?
Any help would be greatly.
[/youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I2rJrSL9I8Q
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I2rJrSL9I8Q
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing the engine compartment Baywindow Van Reply with quote

You appear new to VW buses. I can't tell from the video what tin is on your engine and whether it is a dog house fan or not. It did appear at one point to be a dual port but I wasn't sure. I would say from the missing tin you will need to pull your engine and go thru all the tin including to be sure the correct deflector tin is under the cylinders because it looks like someone slapped it together as a bus to flip. I also hope you aren't planning on living out of it but rather will be using it to travel and camp. Good luck.

A place to start is to open the Bentley manual and look at the photos showing what tin goes where. Parts fiches also help to get a view on what is needed. In direct answer - yes the front engine tin for a bus is missing and the type you need will depend on whether it has an internal or dog house oil cooler.

Photos from the Samba Gallery

1969 without dog house cooler
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dog house fan style

BM3Gross
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the engine compartment Baywindow Van Reply with quote

Thanks for the speedy response. We’re just planning camping trip and usIng it as a excuse to get a bit done on the van. I bought a new seal and went to install it that’s when I discover the missIng tin. The engine job was a shady guy and cost me more then the van like 6 yrs ago. I mainly drive her in parades and some sundays waiting till the day I can afford to redo her right.
The guy I paid way too much to screw me over is the reason I have not been to a mechanic in the past 6 yrs, but I still have lots to learn as you can tell I’m sure.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the engine compartment Baywindow Van Reply with quote

get a hold of Robbie (Asiab3) and see if he will ID what you need from some photos you can send him that are much more detailed. Then when you get the parts, depending on what they are and how hard they are to find. get a hold of Colin (Amskeptic) because he usually over winters in Pensacola and you can't be far from him. He is a traveling VW mechanic and he can install the parts you need put on, as well as look it over. Since VW engines are air cooled, you don't want to take any shortcuts on cooling tin. Both Robbie and Colin are straight up guys.

DO BOTH THESE THINGS NOW because once Colin leaves N. FL and starts his trip around the USA he won't be back for a year.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the engine compartment Baywindow Van Reply with quote

sorry dude but way to many blair witch project face shots...
guys jump to 2m45s

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the engine compartment Baywindow Van Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
sorry dude but way to many blair witch project face shots...
guys jump to 2m45s

Link

and that proves what? That at least the firewall portion of tin is missing and that it has a dual port manifold. Isn't that what I said above?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the engine compartment Baywindow Van Reply with quote

Hi there,

You should have all of these pieces of tin on your engine except for 26, 30, and 31 (plus two 3cm by 3cm squares under the cylinder heads.)

Numbers 3 and 4 provide the "doghouse" offset oil cooler location, and will determine which firewall tin #7 you need. The image shows a bug firewall tin, but the bus one just has slightly more proud shoulders.

Once you reach around back with your left hand, (engine off please,) to feel for the "doghouse" protrusion, you can figure out which firewall tin you need. Once you acquire the firewall tin, you can remove the engine to install the tin and take care of any other projects necessary while the engine is out. Ask for a list of them, if you are unsure.

That's a nice looking dog-house engine up there! Laughing
Robbie

http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/Original_German_Engine_Tin.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the engine compartment Baywindow Van Reply with quote

That’s one fugly color for an engine
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing the engine compartment Baywindow Van Reply with quote

Also note on the left side where those two wires go through the firewall, the grommet is not sealed to the firewall, and so cannot do its job to protect the wires from chafing. That's another disaster waiting to happen. Check other penetrations for wires, accelerator cable, and fuel lines. These should all have protection from sharp edges.

Once sealed properly, you should not be able to see any daylight from within your engine compartment.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing the engine compartment Baywindow Van Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

Will it shed heat as well?

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing the engine compartment Baywindow Van Reply with quote

Volswagon wrote:
aeromech wrote:

Will it shed heat as well?
The ever-present loose nut behind the steering wheel problem. Twisted Evil

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: