Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Earl Grey, 87 Westy 2.1 WBX Build Thread
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Earl Grey, 87 Westy 2.1 WBX Build Thread Reply with quote

Hi. I’ve been Van-curious for a while now lurking in the Vanagon forum. I’m an air-cooled, Bay Window owner (79 Westy 2.0 FI) and have just purchased a project 87 Westy GL w/ 2.1 WBX. I got a great deal because one of the head studs broke (or fell) off and the owner didn’t want to deal with the repairs.

So I figured I’d introduce myself and my new Van, Earl Grey.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The engine and transmission were rebuilt 4 years and 22k miles ago, so hoping it still has some good years ahead of it. I have receipts and it looks like a pretty complete rebuild.

I’m going to drop the engine this weekend to asses the missing stud. I’ve already drained fluids and disconnected everything. Already noticed an alternator bracket bolt is broken off in the case, so I’ll be removing that.

With the engine out I’m planning on:

- Removing and checking heads, replace all gaskets involved there.
- Replace any other seals and gaskets that need it.
- Repair FI harness and clean all grounds.
- Replace fuel lines, rebuild injectors, replace plastic fuel rails with the Van Cafe billet rails.
- Replace any old looking coolant hoses
- Replace rusty coolant bleed ring with GoWesty plastic kit.

Anything else I should be doing with the engine out?

Water-cooled noob question. Do I need to fully flush and bleed the coolant when I put the engine back in? I’ve clamped off all coolant hoses that connect to the engine.

Thanks!

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Earl Grey, 87 Westy 2.1 WBX Build Thread Reply with quote

Sweet van. You are on the right track. I would flush fluid then you know its new. It takes about 4 gallons. I would also flush your brake fluid as well as clutch. Same reservoir. Check level of trans fluid as well.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Earl Grey, 87 Westy 2.1 WBX Build Thread Reply with quote

see my sig. - nice color
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Earl Grey, 87 Westy 2.1 WBX Build Thread Reply with quote

Flushing would be advised and "burping" the air out of the entire system is absolutely key. Lot's of threads with good tricks here on that topic. Buy a Bently manual too. It's pretty much the Vanagon Bible. Welcome to the water world. Nice looking Westy and a great name!
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Earl Grey, 87 Westy 2.1 WBX Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips!

Happy to report I got the engine out today. Ran out of time before I could pull the head to check the stud, but it feels good to have gotten this far today.

Got the head cap nuts, rockers and pushrods out, but the head was really well stuck on. Any tricks to getting it off besides just beating it with a rubber mallet?

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Earl Grey, 87 Westy 2.1 WBX Build Thread Reply with quote

Us greys gotta stick together. Looking forward to your success.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Earl Grey, 87 Westy 2.1 WBX Build Thread Reply with quote

Congratulations. Nice looking van. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Not sure you’ve seen or heard about gowestys new engine management system. It replaces many of the old components and even adds obd2 to the waterboxer. Not sure you want to get that deep into it but if you were going to consider the system, now would be a great time to add it. It isn’t cheap but it really looks worth it. I think they are currently out of stock but I’m sure they are scrambling to keep up with the orders.

http://www.gowesty.com/product/electrical/23981/gowesty-engine-management-system
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Earl Grey, 87 Westy 2.1 WBX Build Thread Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
Congratulations. Nice looking van. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Not sure you’ve seen or heard about gowestys new engine management system. It replaces many of the old components and even adds obd2 to the waterboxer. Not sure you want to get that deep into it but if you were going to consider the system, now would be a great time to add it. It isn’t cheap but it really looks worth it. I think they are currently out of stock but I’m sure they are scrambling to keep up with the orders.

http://www.gowesty.com/product/electrical/23981/gowesty-engine-management-system

Thanks!

I have seen the GoWesty engine management system. Pretty impressive! I haven't decided whether I'll cough up the money for it or not. I rebuilt the FI system on 79 Westy including building a new wiring harness. It was a fun learning experience, but not something I'm anxious to do again any time soon.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Earl Grey, 87 Westy 2.1 WBX Build Thread Reply with quote

Got the head loose today, but the #3 cylinder sleeve is stuck to the head. I've read a bunch of posts this evening and will try to tackle it again tomorrow.

With the head partially removed, I was able to get a look at a few of the studs. Looks like both top studs are broken off on cylinder #3. I'm sure that'll be fun trying to work them out. Now thinking I should just replace all the studs in both heads.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow

Last edited by BayCreamPuff on Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Earl Grey, 87 Westy 2.1 WBX Build Thread Reply with quote

Broke down the intake manifold assembly this evening.

The plenum and tubes will be blasted and powder-coated, injectors serviced, throttle body de-gunked.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Earl Grey, 87 Westy 2.1 WBX Build Thread Reply with quote

Depending how much money you want to throw t this - this is the perfect time to eliminate all the plastic bits in the cooling system and add an extra alternator support piece. Oil cooler seal and I suggest replacing those small hoses by the oil cooler - there are silicone ones available.

I just wrote a whole list for a friend who bought a van - pm me with your e-mail, if interested.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Earl Grey, 87 Westy 2.1 WBX Build Thread Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
Depending how much money you want to throw t this - this is the perfect time to eliminate all the plastic bits in the cooling system and add an extra alternator support piece. Oil cooler seal and I suggest replacing those small hoses by the oil cooler - there are silicone ones available.

I just wrote a whole list for a friend who bought a van - pm me with your e-mail, if interested.

Sweet! Thank you! PM sent.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Earl Grey, 87 Westy 2.1 WBX Build Thread Reply with quote

Morning Earl,

You are doing a thorough job, so here is a link to a Samba Member who will refurbish your throttle body to better than new condition; “de-gunking” will not replace the worn out metal.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1316

Once the TB is rebuilt, consider replacing the mechanical switches with a Hall effect switch from shoebox electronics.

http://www.shoebox-electronix.com/hall-throttle-switch.html

I have two of these setups running on daily drivers and highly recommend both upgrades.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Earl Grey, 87 Westy 2.1 WBX Build Thread Reply with quote

Got the cylinder sleeve to detach with a little heat applied to the head.

With the head removed I got a better look at the broken studs. I'm now questioning whether I'll be able to extract the studs without removing the cylinders. There's just not much space to worth with and the breaks are at an angle.

Anyone have any advice here? I have an extractor kit with left hand bits. Can this be done with the cylinders in place?

Thanks!

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Earl Grey, 87 Westy 2.1 WBX Build Thread Reply with quote

remove the cylinders and pistons on that side it is not too hard and will give you the access you need to be able to remove the broken studs.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Earl Grey, 87 Westy 2.1 WBX Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the help and encouragement.

Following ajdenette's advice I remove the cylinders and pistons today to get better access to the broken studs. Noticed the #3 piston has a gouge on the lip.

Is this common/acceptable or would you replace?

The cylinder looks okay to me, but then again this is my first time getting into one.

No rod play on #4. And just the slightest on #3

Used some heat and a nut & washer on the end of a rod to pull the pins.

A few of the in-tact studs are pretty pitted. Going to attempt to replace them all. I've hit them with PB Blaster. Double nutted one and attempted to remove with heat. Didn't budge, so I'm letting it soak some more. Will try again later today.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Earl Grey, 87 Westy 2.1 WBX Build Thread Reply with quote

if you are noticing play on Rod number three I would suggest replacing the rods while you are in there 2.1 Rods are known for venting cases. as far as the piston goes it looks more like a drop dent in the piston crown from rough handling rather than a melted top from poor running. personally I would run that piston but the decision is all yours.Yes any studs that show pitting must be replaced or you will back in the same position in short order.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: