Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time between primer coat and final coat ?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snollygoster1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Time between primer coat and final coat ? Reply with quote

We have just finished all the welding on my beetle and are about to begin priming/blocking/painting etc etc.

My problem is that I have limited time as I will be doing it alone and was planning to complete this process over several months which which could possibly mean leaving the primer exposed for long periods of time before the final topcoat. I understand this is not ideal and there is a limited safe window between these two coats as the primer is porous.

My question is what is the maximum time that I could possibly leave the primer exposed ?

This is my first paint job so I'm still learning. My plan at this stage is to do it in small stages (ie work on one or two panels) and to shoot a quick topcoat over the primered metal to seal it before moving on to other areas of the car.

Cheers
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Time between primer coat and final coat ? Reply with quote

Well I would shoot the entire car with epoxy primer. That isn't porous and as long as you don't expose it to a lot of sunlight it will prevent rust.

After that you could shoot the entire car in high build primer. If you really want to be fanatical you could block whatever section you can at a time and then reduce your left over epoxy to use as a sealer then shoot whatever you block.

Then when you are all done with everything you can scuff the sealer, and then shoot some more sealer and then go for your color.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Time between primer coat and final coat ? Reply with quote

I 2nd the epoxy primer. If you are doing all the work indoors I wouldn't worry about taking your time as long as the primer is properly sanded before topcoat. If it is sitting outside then at least cover it from rain and for sure lay down that 1st coat of epoxy primer/sealer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: