Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

If anyone wants to pick this one apart I'll be at Amelia this weekend and will attend the auction preview. This Bus certainly looks nice in pictures but after seeing this 23w travesty I think the community needs to flag these chassis numbers if they are hacks!

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/AM18/Amelia-Isl...bus/620328
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
If anyone wants to pick this one apart ......

21 looks nice in pics, but the pics just skim the surface of what needs to be seen to be able to make an informed decision.

Minor hijack - Holy Crap!
Is that what a grossly incorrect (albeit very shiny) SC is going for in the chequebook world these days?

Really?????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

Oh my god that truck is a mess! There is no separation panel in the treasure chest and the floor material changes at the point where the panel would be. Looks like roofing material or something!

Riff Raff wrote:
ryans65 wrote:
If anyone wants to pick this one apart ......

21 looks nice in pics, but the pics just skim the surface of what needs to be seen to be able to make an informed decision.

Minor hijack - Holy Crap!
Is that what a grossly incorrect (albeit very shiny) SC is going for in the chequebook world these days?

Really?????
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
Oh my god that truck is a mess!

Appalling!
It needs it's own thread

As has been mentioned before, there is a reason these things go to auction and are not sold privately - this SC is another data point
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

Moderator note:
I split this off of another thread so it did not get derailed.
Let's discuss this Bus here instead
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Moderator note:

Thanks!

Anyone know this bus or the shop that restored it, Smittys Auto Body? Looks like good work from what I can see from a quick google search.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Moderator note:

Thanks!

Anyone know this bus or the shop that restored it, Smittys Auto Body? Looks like good work from what I can see from a quick google search.

Yes, he's a good dude and posts here.
He's in NorCal, not Costa Mesa... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=88428
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

TBC,

Wrong steering wheel and horn button.
Seats should have heat pleating, not sewn seams
Back side of rims should be black
Headliner installed incorrectly between the a and b pillar.
Middle seat flipper, should have a slotted screw not a bolt
Steering column bracket should be black
Engine, lots incorrect there, but probably not trying to achieve original in the first place, after reading the description drivability was the objective.
Impossible to determine undercarriage, no provided pics, would require first hand inspection.
Compared to most restoration or auction buses, this one had thought and effort.
Agree with the price range given by auction company. Hopefully higher, as said definitely one of the better buses available.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986

Last edited by Douglas Denlinger on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:57 am; edited 4 times in total
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

^ I feel like adding a barn door steering wheel is an upgrade
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

Douglas Denlinger wrote:
Agree with the price range given by auction company. Hopefully higher, as said definitely one of the better buses available.

I have that feeling also, I'll be there when the hammer drops!
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

Are those the correct front door handles? I thought all wide hatch busses had button door handles.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Are those the correct front door handles? I thought all wide hatch busses had button door handles.

Early 64 buses had the ice picks. I'm not sure when they changed.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
sgellis wrote:

Had to look it up. Smile Production of Aug 63 for wide hatch and Dec 63 for push button. I always though it was done at the same time.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
fibra-racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

Did someone noticed that is not walkthrue, but have the spare tire at the back???
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

I think that round thing in the back is luggage not a spare tire. Bus looked generally nice.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

no fuse block cover.
isn't the tag in the engine compartment the one that is supposed to be on the overhead vent?
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
sgellis wrote:

Had to look it up. Smile Production of Aug 63 for wide hatch and Dec 63 for push button. I always though it was done at the same time.

Just for the record I have a July 1963 panel with a wide hatch. 1145666
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

I own that same bus. same year, color, and manufacture date almost identical(63>64 year), and in very good condition, but I don't think I would restore it to near perfect-I wouldn't have fun anymore. Every time I get in and go, it is just the best. Mine is a walk-thru w an ambulance step <M coded

My friend just sold his red 23 @ AZ -it was perfect w a heater
After he finished it, he just couldn't bring himself to drive it. It was offered-up at 169k, got no interest, then trailered it off to the auction, got 220K!<>WTF!

If you love your bus and love to drive it, don't strive for perfection, you will end-up always worried, then selling and starting again.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
I think that round thing in the back is luggage not a spare tire. Bus looked generally nice.

Yes, you can see it's a hat box if you scroll through all the pics.
They have what is almost a full set of the vintage green luggage that matches Como Green really well.
I have a few pieces myself but not the hat box.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Amelia Island 1964 Volkswagen Deluxe 21-Window Reply with quote

Looks like the inner cargo door handle is pointing the wrong direction. Easy to fix.

The bus looks very nice in the photos.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: