Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good quality pressure plate
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Good quality pressure plate Reply with quote

I ordered a crank and flywheel from CB Performance awhile back. I asked them to balance them before they sent them out. They said they would only balance it if I ordered a pressure plate too.
"Ok, I'll buy your stock pressure plate"
"Oh, we don't balance the Brazilian pressure plates, they never balance well"

I don't need a fancy stage 13 clutch, so who sells a good STOCK pressure plate?

Last edited by blue72beetle on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality pressure plate Reply with quote

I have the rotating parts being balanced right now for a new build. That includes a new Sachs pressure plate.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality pressure plate Reply with quote

blue72beetle wrote:
who sells a good STOCK pressure plate?

NOBODY.
But, here's what you do. Look for a Sachs pressure plate with a Croatia country of origin. It will have a full radius perimeter unlike those abominable cheap Brazilian ones with the tiny little "index" tabs to center it in the flywheel.

Ask the balancer to drill out the pressure plate itself, not the stamped steel cover. It can be done.

I just slapped on a used three arm dinosaur from 1969 on my bus, and I couldn't be happier. Intrinsically balanced, imagine that.
Colin
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Good quality pressure plate Reply with quote

Dang! CB Performance wouldn't sell me a stock camshaft either last week! What is it with suppliers not wanting us to go slow and economically for millions of miles???

--

Wolfsburg West and JBugs both sell the Croatian pressure plates for about $100. They will be marked "German" on the website, and "Made in Croatia" on the packaging and part itself.

The exact plates were made in Germany up until last year, when the production was shifted. As far as I can tell, the manufacturing equipment is identical, so it's probably still a great part.

But yeah, NYCnthia is building her new engine soon, and we scored a 1970 German plate at the swap for $10.

Such is life, I suppose.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality pressure plate Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me know about Wolfsburg West. I had previously checked their site, but I only saw the Brazilian one. Found the Slovak one and ordered it.

I'm probably going to get a stock cam and lifters from Web Cam.
Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality pressure plate Reply with quote

If a pressure plate goes bad, what are the symptoms?

Does the clutch slip like when they wear out out? High-low revs?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality pressure plate Reply with quote

Gumboguy wrote:

The surface will begin to show excess checking and maybe be discolored. Once things have been hot enough that the springs loose their temper the pressure plate is shot. An abused pressure plate can go bad in minutes, say the adjustment is off and the clutch begins slipping on a hill or if someone gets stuck and just abuses the clutch trying to get it out. You can also lay a straight edge across the wear face of the pressure plate and see how much of a cone shape it has developed over time. Don't have a good quantitative limit here, maybe .020", don't know for sure.

Pretty much if you have allowed the clutch to begin slipping in normal use the remaining life of the pressure plate is going to be used up in hours or even minutes. You can't see it with the tranny mounted to the engine (maybe drill a hole in the bellhousing and use a boroscope?), but once the disc has worn to the point that the release fingers begin to rest against the cover then slippage is imminent with wear accelerating with heat wrecking everything.

If you change you disc out preemptively before the fingers begin resting against the cover you can very often reuse the cover. Pretty much if my discs have 40-50K or more miles on them, they get replaced if and when I have easy access.

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality pressure plate Reply with quote

the diaphragm will crack or lose its temper and the tension on the driven disk will go away. It will feel really soft when you step on the clutch or make noise. If it has individual springs one or more may go soft and cause lots of chatter and vibration when engaging it.

Last edited by SGKent on Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality pressure plate Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Gumboguy wrote:

The surface will begin to show excess checking and maybe be discolored. Once things have been hot enough that the springs loose their temper the pressure plate is shot. An abused pressure plate can go bad in minutes, say the adjustment is off and the clutch begins slipping on a hill or if someone gets stuck and just abuses the clutch trying to get it out. You can also lay a straight edge across the wear face of the pressure plate and see how much of a cone shape it has developed over time. Don't have a good quantitative limit here, maybe .020", don't know for sure.

Thanks.

So in your opinion if the pressure plate is shot, the clutch pedal will feel really soft when depressed and it won't disengage the clutch mechanism?
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality pressure plate Reply with quote

I just received a new "Sachs" clutch that was a total disaster. The Box says "made in Germany" and the part says "made for Sachs"...no country listed. I no longer trust that brand. Mexican parts seem about the best these days.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality pressure plate Reply with quote

Gumboguy wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Gumboguy wrote:

Thanks.

So in your opinion if the pressure plate is shot, the clutch pedal will feel really soft when depressed and it won't disengage the clutch mechanism?

Yes the spring tension will go down and not enough pressure will be available against the disc, even a new one, to prevent slipping. Clutch chatter may or may not be caused by a pressure plate that has gotten hot or worn unevenly. If the clutch is chattering then even if the various pieces of the clutch look fine, then changing them all out may well be warranted.
Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality pressure plate Reply with quote

That totally makes sense.

Thank you. Smile

quote="Wildthings"]
Gumboguy wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Gumboguy wrote:

Thanks.

Yes the spring tension will go down and not enough pressure will be available against the disc, even a new one, to prevent slipping. Clutch chatter may or may not be caused by a pressure plate that has gotten hot or worn unevenly. If the clutch is chattering then even if the various pieces of the clutch look fine, then changing them all out may well be warranted.[/quote]
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Good quality pressure plate Reply with quote

as a general rule I figure an original quality clutch pressure plate on a street car should be good for 100,000 - 150,000 miles. If they get oily and get hot spotted then you can try sanding them to get a cross hatch back .If someone is abusive then they can last a week. The racing plates don't last nearly as long. Driven disk should last 40,000 - 60,000 miles unless they get oily. I believe LUK was an original manufacturer. Maybe they might be better these days, I don't know. The quality of steel being used seems to be falling in many areas.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: