Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

It's a Thing come true!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

sjhotz wrote:
Is the thermostat supposed to be under the passenger side or driver side cylinders?

Looks good. Thermostat is under passenger side cylinders, here's how it looks with the rod:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The cross bar will have to come off as you drop it onto the engine over the oil cooler and then you can put it right back on.

I hooked the spring to the little hole in the corner of the doghouse as so:

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Update!

Cooling Flaps in!

Engine Back in!

Todo:
- fuel lines with "T" and filters for dual carbs (pressure gauge?)
- Dual Carbs
- fresh air hose (the galvanized flexible steel tubing you see sitting on the bumper)
- attach Heater hose cables.
- attach accelerator cable
- attache thermostat and mount
- Exhaust manifold
- New breather hose (both pieces and i'll probably need an adapter as the fan shroud outlet is in a different spot)

Hope to have it all done by Friday!
-sjhotz

74 Thing
72 Bay Window Westy TinTop
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

sjhotz wrote:
Update!

Engine Back in!

Todo:
- fuel lines with "T" and filters for dual carbs (pressure gauge?)
- Dual Carbs

Awesome! Can almost hear it running.

I put a Holley fuel pressure regulator on my dual EPC 34 carbs. Here's a link to that page of my build if you want to see what was involved. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=120

In the beetle threads they are always harping on people for having a fuel filter in the engine compartment (fires or something) so I put mine down by the transmission where the gas line comes out of the body.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Update time!
- fuel lines with "T" and filters for dual carbs (pressure gauge?) Purchased, Ready to Install
- Dual Carbs Ready to Install
- Carb Studs & Nuts Purchased, Ready to Install
- fresh air hose (the galvanized flexible steel tubing you see sitting on the bumper) Done! (galvanized was not flexable enough to get past muffler, had to use aluminum)
- attach Heater hose cables. Done!
- attach accelerator cable Done!
- attache thermostat and mount Done!
- Exhaust manifold Done!
- New breather hose (both pieces and i'll probably need an adapter as the fan shroud outlet is in a different spot) Purchased, Ready to Install, just need adapter to mate hose ends

Left To Do:
- Get an adapter to mate to two charcoal canister hoses (old one coming thru firewall is stiff and won't bend to new outlet on Later year Fan shroud, so some new hose and an adapter should solve that problem)
- Route fuel lines with filters and secure them
- Secure balance tubing

- Install Carbs
Ok stupid question time, I am installing rebuilt Kadron's from what I can see there is absolutely no difference between the two. Is there a Driver Side and Passenger Side Carb or are they interchangeable?

74 Thing
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Hey Gang! Just gotta run fuel lines and install carbs.!

Got a question first. The fuel vapor hose that goes from the side of the fan shroud thru the firewall and to the canister mounted behind the passenger rear is brittle as heck and I'm replacing it. I see the small fuel vapor line that I assume comes from the gas tank, and the larger hose from the fan shroud/firewall. There is a third larger hose that exits opposite side of canister and heads back toward the firewall but then just dead ends, not connected to anything. Am I just venting fuel vapor to the area behind the firewall, and is that dangerous?

My thanks all,
-sjhotz

74 Thing
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

sjhotz wrote:
Hey Gang! Just gotta run fuel lines and install carbs.!

Got a question first. The fuel vapor hose that goes from the side of the fan shroud thru the firewall and to the canister mounted behind the passenger rear is brittle as heck and I'm replacing it. I see the small fuel vapor line that I assume comes from the gas tank, and the larger hose from the fan shroud/firewall. There is a third larger hose that exits opposite side of canister and heads back toward the firewall but then just dead ends, not connected to anything. Am I just venting fuel vapor to the area behind the firewall, and is that dangerous?

My thanks all,
-sjhotz

This one goes to the air-cleaner on the carb(s) so the engine sucks up and combusts the fuel vapor that evaporates from the charcoal canister.

Edit: Since you are running duals, I have seen people plug into just the passenger side air-cleaner. If you are interested here is a link to the page of my thread where I monkeyed something together to use both carbs. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=140
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Hello all,

My apologies on the recent radio silence, there have been some awesome new changes in my life.

After long years of searching I have finally found a Home and the time to truly enjoy my VW / Camping lifestyle. I'm now in Southwestern WA (about an hour north of Portland/Vancouver), semi retired with a busload (swidt!) of time and more than enough space to work (after cleaning up some crap from the previous owner, which i'm currently in the middle of heh, whoo what a mess).

One of my intended purposes is to make this property a welcome spot for us all. A VW Homely House of the West, you will have to forgive my shameless Tolkien reference, but it does summon to mind the sense of warmth and welcome I wish to impart to any who visit here.

On to the update!

Due do the rushed nature of my recent move, I had to do a fast (as in 2 hour) install of the axle's, carbs, fan shroud, generator & exhaust prior to the move. As such was the case, I'm not confidant with how everything is lining up, the accelerator cable is exiting my new shroud too high for my new dual carb linkage and doesn't return properly without an insanely strong spring. I also have found a fuel leak near the passenger carb accelerator pump (hopefully it's a bad fuel line connection and not the accelerator pump itself).

Time to clear space in the garage (and organize a ton of crap) to pull the engine and put her back together the right way!

Ahhhh, it's good to be back Cool.
-sjhotz

74 Thing
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Hey Gang!

Small update, thanks to some perseverance and the wizards at Avery Air Cooled my Thing is back on the road!

Still dialing in my VW haven but things are coming along nicely.

Hope everyone is doing well during this pandemic madness, stay safe and stay healthy!

-sjhotz

74 Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: