Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfsbane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat Reply with quote

Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat? Manual transmission. Sedan, not wagon.

The 1.8T turbo versus 2.8VR6. Those were the most common US engines. I've heard the VR6 made the car a bit nose heavy.

Ideally about 1999 onwards. Obviously the North American versions.

I'm a sporty driver. Not total maniac level. But have on occasion disregarded signs on the side of the road with numbers on them. Enjoy a twisty road.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat Reply with quote

I have an 01 A4...essentially the same car. 1.8t with a 5 speed. as long as I don't get cleaned up in an accident....I will keep it forever 2.8's are fucking pigs. I bought mine CPO in 03-04. 130K on it now, bought it with 40K

stay away from automatics and 2.8's and they will go forever

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat Reply with quote

First, the 2.8 is not a VR motor, it is a 30valve 90* V-6, not fast but it is smooth.
They are nice sedans, comfy and competent. The outer CV boots are a normal wear item, they wear out much faster than the same on a Jetta, but if caught can be replaced and no harm. Front suspension has multiple of ball joints, so those wear out over time.
A4 is the same car, just the body is wrapped tighter, thus looks more sporting.
A 1.8T car will be easier add HP as all it takes is a chip tune, there aren't really any performance parts for the for the 2.8. I suppose you could swap in a 3.03.2 or better yet a 2.7T.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat Reply with quote

The B5/B5.5 chassis was quite possibly the best highway chassis ever designed by VAG. The V6 is a great engine, but there's not really any tuning support. The 1.8t was a great engine also but was plagued by carbon buildup clogging oil pump pickup tubes due to manufacturer suggested extended oil service intervals, high internal temperatures & people that didn't use the specified synthetic oils.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:

The A6 is also the same chassis, just a bit bigger. Believe it or not, the same windshield fits the A4, A6, & the Passat.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
ps2375 wrote:

The A6 is also the same chassis, just a bit bigger. Believe it or not, the same windshield fits the A4, A6, & the Passat.

Ha! I had no idea.
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat Reply with quote

Pretty good cars overall, i know the b5's tend to have issues with the abs module going bad. If it were me I'd probably go for the 1.8t. I have personal experience with a 1.8t in a 2003 jetta at 265k original turbo and everything and it's still going strong. Just make sure you use synthetic oil and change it every 5k.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat Reply with quote

rustfree1967bug wrote:
Pretty good cars overall, i know the b5's tend to have issues with the abs module going bad.

A fairly easy and inexpensive repair, just take the brain off and sent it out for repair. From what I've been told, just some very fine wire(s) that break due to vibration and no support.

And the first mod I'd add to the 1.8T even if I wasn't going for more power would be an oil cooler with a thermostatic sandwich plate. The stock "cooler" is only good for warming the oil, imho.
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat Reply with quote

So, what about the W8 version of the Passat? I'm interested in buying one, that runs pretty well, but want to know what I'm getting into. Any particular issues I should look for, anything I should look at before I buy it? I'm going this Saturday to look at it.
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat Reply with quote

lolololol

timing chains, plastic cooling pipes that grenade, super expensive parts everywhere...

if the car were free, it's still too expensive. seriously...if it were a 1500 car I got a year out of I would peel the plates off right where it puked and walk away

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat Reply with quote

That engine is an Albatross from hell, made for maybe two years only with absolutely NO aftermarket support & are now old enough that the dealer parts department starts laughing at the mere mention of it. The minimum entry fee for any repair is $1,000. Cant get it inspected because of a check engine light on for a thermostat? Electronic thermostat, $700 for the part, another $300 for labor. And WTF is up with a timing belt just to drive the oil pump?!?

HOWEVER! Some silly bastards welded the center diff & turbocharged one & turned it into a drift car.
https://youtu.be/ZkhYNdPKkPw
https://youtu.be/92MMp7OejGQ

Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat Reply with quote

So it's not really worth it then. I've worked on plenty of 1.8t engines that grenade due to low oil, which I was happy my wife's car had the 2.8 V6. Good thing I guess I don't have to do emissions or inspections where I live.
And Mitsubishi 4cyl engines use the timing chain to drive balance shafts and the oil pump, people still like them. Is this second a particular problem cold though?
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat Reply with quote

Sqrbckguy38 wrote:
So it's not really worth it then?

no. almost any major service requires an engine drop. any high end euro stuff is becoming disposable....or super cheap for owner #2 or #3 to purchase because the cost of keeping them going is simply staggering

if you're going for that platform I would go 1.8t. even though it's old technology by todays standards it's pretty bulletproof (or can be made that way)

honestly you'd be money ahead to buy a 1.8t (with a stick) and build a 200+hp version (easily achievable) and have a fun dead nuts reliable car.

my stock 1.8t has had a APR stage 1 tune in it for about 60k now. when the time comes, I will repower it...the car owes me nothing. heated seats, a/c, auto dimming mirrors...what else do I need?

reasonable economy too. I get a solid 32mpg on the highway, was getting about 34+ before the ethanol.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat Reply with quote

The only reason that the 1.8t engines had oiling issues was because the manufacturer extended oil services out to 7,000 to 10,000 mile intervals. When new owners took their cars in for the services, most of the dealers (Or cheap ass owners) were dumping conventional oil back in them instead of the required synthetic. The 1.8t runs so hot internally that conventional burns like fry oil in an overheated pan. This carbon eventually breaks loose & clogs the oil pump pick-up tube screen, ESPECIALLY when that upselling 5 minute oil change jockey convinces you to "Do an oil flush" & then the engine starves of oil & wipes out the engine.

Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat Reply with quote

Well, so, I bought it anyways. I really like it so far, it's a lot of fun to drive, and was taken care pretty well, had a bunch of receipts from the dealer it was serviced. Was traded in, and sat for too long for the other dealer to sell it. So I got it from a smaller dealer associated with the main dealer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like it so far, and here's hoping it stays a great car.
67 Beetle, Opal
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat Reply with quote

I hope you didn’t pay much for it.

Here’s one with 23,000 miles on it for $6,500.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/clayton-volkswagen-passat-4-motion-w/6839962226.html

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat Reply with quote

a fool and his money will soon be parted.

you're like my wife. ask for advice, hate the answer and do the opposite of what was advised...by 2 European Techs even...

should have just saved the time and said do what you want..you're going to anyway

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the B5/B5.5 Passat Reply with quote

There are not many of those cars, but I have a client with a W8 and he would beg to differ. They spent thousands of dollars to keep it on the road while he was in college.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: