Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock Manifold guru's. 211 129 701 F. What was it for?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Manifold guru's. 211 129 701 F. What was it for? Reply with quote

That was one of the most impressive, actually informative posts I’ve seen on here since I signed up.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Manifold guru's. 211 129 701 F. What was it for? Reply with quote

Wow. A post i do not even remember starting oh-so-long ago. I remember the problem though... Thank you Barry for that very detailed investigation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Manifold guru's. 211 129 701 F. What was it for? Reply with quote

Some of the photos in this post got tilted 90 degrees when I uploaded them. I don't know why and am so sorry as orientation is kind of critical in this post so just tip your head where necessary.

Like I said earlier, I always seem to learn the hard way. Now I know my boo-boo so here's a fix for anyone that might want to do the same.

On my last engine I used a "D" manifold not realizing there was a different later 211 F or G manifold version that would have suited me better using my 30PICT-1 carburetor.

When I went to set up the accelerator cable I discovered the hole in the fan shroud was not lined up: too far to the left using what I call the "innie" carb throttle arm that is on a 30PICT-1 carb. I now know the 211 D manifold located the carb in the older pre-H pre-1966 28PICT-1 location further to the right (more to come regarding this).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

To try and align the accerator cable I used the bent VW accelerator tube vs the straight one.

It allows you to aim the cable up and over if necessary.

Then I thought I could just grab a 28PICT-1 throttle arm and use it as the 28s' have an "outie" arm (as I call it) to line up the cable more to the left.
30 innie arm on the left, 28 outie arm on the right.

Not so fast! Sheesh...VW made the slot clocking different so you couldn't mix them up.

Plus, the two fulcrums' distances are different so the 30 arm gives you a better ratio of control at the gas pedal; it's "geared down" lower.
30 on the right.

I decided to make my innie 30 arm into an outie 28 arm to facilitate alignment as a fix. I bolted the cable fulcrum hole the proper spacing and cut it free.

Then flipped it over into the outie position and bolted it back together.

Welded it.

Tra-la: 30PICT-1 throttle innie arm turned into 28PICT-1 outie arm for alignment purposes.

I test fitted the cable fulcrum end for fit and somehow I got it right...whew.

Here it is back on the 30PICT-1 carb looking like an outie.

This is the new alignment. Soooo much better and it V-RROOMs perfect.

Of course, the right thing I now know to do, would have been to switch to the "F" or "G" manifold that would have moved the carb intake pipe left and put the 30PICT-1 carb's innie throttle arm in-line with the shroud accelerator cable hole.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Manifold guru's. 211 129 701 F. What was it for? Reply with quote

Would someone please look in Progressive Refinements and see when the large diameter pedestal was first available?
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Manifold guru's. 211 129 701 F. What was it for? Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Barry!... nice workaround, too.

robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Manifold guru's. 211 129 701 F. What was it for? Reply with quote

Questions about manifold numbers again. I have two 211 129 701 B manifolds that also have the brazing on both sides to keep the heat riser up against the air intake but they don't have the cutouts. I also have the manifold that came with my bus' engine, a 113 129 701 J (not original for sure) but it has a cutout. All three are identical in dimensions, including neck height but the 211's don't have the cutout.

What would the 311 J go to? And has any one seen a bus 211 without the cutouts before?

By the way, both the 211 manifolds have had their heat riser tubes cleaned and a coat of high-temp primer. Will check to see if they fit under the generator stand once I pull my engine. If not, I guess I grab the Dremel tool.

-Rich.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Manifold guru's. 211 129 701 F. What was it for? Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:
What would the 311 J go to?

Did you mean 113? It is for 66 Beetle 1300 but why it has the same height neck I don't know Beetle minutia.

robin.richard wrote:
And has any one seen a bus 211 without the cutouts before?
Yes.

robin.richard wrote:
Will check to see if they fit under the generator stand once I pull my engine.

They will. The cutout helps to do a bassakward generator removal.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Manifold guru's. 211 129 701 F. What was it for? Reply with quote

Don't know how long this will persist but what is this in US dollars? Wouldn't a "B" not have the cut away? https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/saugrohr-0a3c6d.html It's unbelievable what all there is for sale like a bus air cleaner for 289 euros (scroll to bottom) https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/spare-parts/industriemotor.html or 219 euros https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/luftfilter-4a293c.html
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Manifold guru's. 211 129 701 F. What was it for? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Wouldn't a "B" not have the cut away?

Apparently "B" has cutaway: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8250949#8250949
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Manifold guru's. 211 129 701 F. What was it for? Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
BarryL wrote:
Wouldn't a "B" not have the cut away?

Apparently "B" has cutaway: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8250949#8250949

Weird in that photo it has a long neck.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Manifold guru's. 211 129 701 F. What was it for? Reply with quote

“B” is the 42 hp (‘63-‘65 1500cc) long neck (no governor) style.... to use with a 28 PICT-1.

Weird how “D” is for the same engine (w/governor)... but it doesn’t have the notch.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Manifold guru's. 211 129 701 F. What was it for? Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
“B” is the 42 hp (‘63-‘65 1500cc) long neck (no governor) style.... to use with a 28 PICT-1.

Ok, doh, like robin.richard's photos.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: