Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166 ... 283, 284, 285  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

i flipped the image horizontally, and it just turns it into a LHD left side cargo door or DD bus. I agree with Everett, that seems unlikely.

i blew the image up a bit and i would still think it is right side and LHD. I am just not sure i see a mirror.

passenger side locking doors are a cool add on, though. if that is what we are looking at.

i was hoping to be able to read the writing on the building. I could not....

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

She is laughing at us, knowing that standing in front of the cargo door handle will cause us problems 60+ years later.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

More importantly, why has the bumper got chestnut brown paint on it?

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
More importantly, why has the bumper got chestnut brown paint on it?

That’s a 51 samba thing. Most of the 51’s had it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswouter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

With the pre production outside fillerneck!
MZ-69-62 Volkswagen Transporter kombi 1953-1955 by Carcheologisch Onderzoeker, on Flickr

NV-68-23 Volkswagen Transporter kombi 1955 by Carcheologisch Onderzoeker, on Flickr

NV-63-26 Volkswagen Transporter bestelwagen 1955 by Carcheologisch Onderzoeker, on Flickr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

So much to see!

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

^^^ DKW Schnellaster!
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

volkswouter wrote:
MZ-69-62 Volkswagen Transporter kombi 1953-1955 by Carcheologisch Onderzoeker, on Flickr

Judging by all the extra the lights on the back and sides, that survived in use for quite a while.

I've read that one prototype survived as a factory hack for a while, but I'd expected that rest of the prototypes would have been scrapped soon after production started.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
volkswouter wrote:

Judging by all the extra the lights on the back and sides, that survived in use for quite a while.

I've read that one prototype survived as a factory hack for a while, but I'd expected that rest of the prototypes would have been scrapped soon after production started.

All the protype pics I've seen had the filler neck below the beltline and had vertical engine vents 🤔

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:

All the protype pics I've seen had the filler neck below the beltline and had vertical engine vents 🤔

Fair point. I didn't even notice the vents. I guess someone just got fed up with opening the engine lid to fill up.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

Photo is 1953 International Trailer Rally in Copenhagen. Barndoor Kombi. Wally byam is standing by Airstream.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

Does that look like a French period license plate? has what looks like a triple-A badge on top. cool combo, French registered, US insured ?
Interesting detail to note: Back in the day TRUCKs that had a loaded (heavy) trailer in tow had to carry a backlighted orange triangle on top of the truck's roof. look at that Kombi !
Either it was registered as a commercial vehicle (truck/van) or the weight of the Airstream dictated the extra sign.

extra cool pic anyways.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

I'm diggin' the shirt and tie.
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
Does that look like a French period license plate? has what looks like a triple-A badge on top. cool combo, French registered, US insured ?
extra cool pic anyways.

Definitely not a French period license plate Cool
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I'm diggin' the shirt and tie.

Could be your new look, add the helmet and space pen? This black jacket is not hip enough...

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
Interesting detail to note: Back in the day TRUCKs that had a loaded (heavy) trailer in tow had to carry a backlighted orange triangle on top of the truck's roof. look at that Kombi !
Either it was registered as a commercial vehicle (truck/van) or the weight of the Airstream dictated the extra sign.

extra cool pic anyways.

no way the barndoor would have pulled any airstream. A 1949 18 foot airstream weighed over 2000 pounds and had tongue weight of over 250 pounds. And they got bigger from there... There were very few cars in europe that would have towed that.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

yes, but I wouldn't think that either of that loads would put a structural problem for the BD. 2000pds trailer weight is 900kg approx and 250 tounge weight 120kgs or so. I know it's on the utmost rear of the bus, but the early bus has 750kg (cargo) load capacity or even more. I am sure it would have pulled uphill in first even with a 25 horse. not talking about the speed though Smile

But you are probably right though, that the Airstream was towed by another, stronger car, that's not in the pic.

volkswouter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

PK-11-05 Volkswagen Kever "Lange Voorhout , Den-Haag" by Carcheologisch Onderzoeker, on Flickr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

very nice, converted panel. whats up with the American iron in the street. 53Pontiac, 52 Buick and 53 Chevy. all GM lane.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166 ... 283, 284, 285  Next
Jump to:
Page 165 of 285

Jump to: