Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

relay signals dieing
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TChilds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: relay signals dieing Reply with quote

Hello.

I am tackling an electrical problem soon. ALL POWER LUGS STILL HAVE 12v AT PANEL.

First, my 12v dash fried a 5v usb charger (it melted the charger). Pretty sure this issue isn't part of the relay issues and popped a fuse (don't care about this issue 12v plug).

Second, my fuel pump lost run signal to relay (jumped relay to run fuel pump ever since).

Next, my wipers lost intermittent function (constant run, have to pull relay and insert relay to turn them on and off).

Also, my house battery relay/isolator is no longer getting a signal to charge the aux battery. (yes it has 12v power and good ground, just no voltage on signal to relay)

Finally, my front and rear heater blowers both stopped turning on, function of the switches halted at same point in time (not sure what relay this would be, please help on this one).

All of these issues happened when the 1993 westfalia was sitting, not while driving or running (except for the 12v plug which happened during a long road trip to festival in Knoxville). Each issue popped up a few days to a few weeks apart, each time the van would sit for a couple weeks then start up with a new relay issue found.

Please help, I'm not really sure where to start but I'll be removing the dash to replace a lot of foam and wrap fix a few things anyway soon.

Also, if its any help, I see significant NEGATIVE voltage while starter is running, at the fuel pump relay. I noticed this while diagnosing fuel pump power and don't know if this indicates a short that is possibly frying things during starts.

Pretty much all suspension, bushings, accessory parts, belts, pumps, seals, coolers, radiators, starter, alternator, etc etc etc (pretty much every moving part that could cause a break down) have been replaced on Brunhilda. I've put a lot of work into her but electrical isn't my forte. I could really use a basic bit of any kind of help that gets me started on this issue at a minimum. She's well over 350k miles now and running strong except for this electrical issue which seems to be taking her back to 1967 like a time machine hahaha. I even have a 1993 automatic transaxle and 5cyl motor with both computers in my garage as backup for her (my other 1993 got stolen and totalled in a wreck at the first turn from the scene of crime so it became a donor van).

For example, how do I go about figuring out why so many relays are losing signal to function but not blowing fuses or losing grounds? Where do all the relay signals come from in a 1993 Eurovan
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: relay signals dieing Reply with quote

Having the dash off will be a good start to tracing out power coming into the van. You should pick up some manuals with the wiring diagrams to help you trace the paths.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: relay signals dieing Reply with quote

Any chance you've had any water intrusion into the cabin at some point in the past? Those sound like classic electrical gremlins caused by water either corroding a grounding connection point or the fuse box itself. Also a faulty ignition switch might be involved.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
TChilds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: relay signals dieing Reply with quote

I replaced the ignition switch with a chinese a while ago but had no immediate issues. My original key/ignition was failing to engage (I think it was an issue with the cable)
How does the ignition/gear selector lock out and power work on this van??? When I replaced the switch I noticed the little plastic cap on the cable is broken and my new switch is actually broken already and has to be jimmied with a screw driver to get the cable into correct position after each start. I am really confused by this VW ignition setup and what extra step is wired into the power for it.

I have never noticed water intrusion but she did sit outside for a couple years in a boneyard before I brought her back to life and patched up all the rust.

I also am thinking its a short or possibly corrosion/disconnection at the distribution source causing the relay issues.

Last edited by TChilds on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: relay signals dieing Reply with quote

If you are seeing negative voltage your alternator diodes are shot and that will fry stuff. Start there, you might have to remove it and take it to an electrical shop
TChilds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: relay signals dieing Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
If you are seeing negative voltage your alternator diodes are shot and that will fry stuff. Start there, you might have to remove it and take it to an electrical shop

I'll have to look into this. I just noticed it on the signal wire to relay (for fuel pump) while cranking the starter, not while running. The alternator is a 150amp bosch reman and I'm optimistic this isn't the issue but will look into the voltage to see if there are other signs.

It isn't popping fuses or losing 12v power sources/grounds. It is just the relay signals that are not present any longer at the problematic locations. The voltage at all the power/grounds seems to be stable and exactly where it should be. I even cleaned up every ground in the engine bay when I had the front end apart and gained 1.2v or so just from the cleaning.

I sure wish I knew where the heck the relay signals come from and what the ignition switch goes to exactly. These vans seem to have a more complex ignition switch than most cars with extra german engineering in the mix for safety reasons I'm assuming.
TChilds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: relay signals dieing Reply with quote

I am going to put the OE ignition switch back in and just hope it was the cable making the key stick, not the cylinder itself. The OE key was doing funny things locking into position but after I removed it, the function was fine... Confusing ignition switch.
TChilds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: relay signals dieing Reply with quote

Well I'm in need of a suggestion of manual that has a good diagram for this 1993 EV pop top (not the longer camper version, just the weekender)

I will work on removing the dash since its coming out either way for other reasons and put the OE ignition switch back in for now just in case.

This van is my baby I'll get this sorted out even if I have to completely create my own circuits and switches for the panel lol. engine/transmission management is a... I'm about to just do a tdi swap and 5 speed to get away from it but I overcame that obstacle so this electrical interior panel issues should be possible too haha.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS. Please feel free to help me out with any ideas or sources of knowledge you think of. I really appreciate you all responding to my ridiculous and novice questions and concerns.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: relay signals dieing Reply with quote

Snapped shots of wiring from my Bentley. Should get you started.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/EV_93-95_Wiring.pdf
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TChilds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: relay signals dieing Reply with quote

Thank you! Almost got her running again and she spit out my cam position sensor lol.

It will be warming up soon and dash will be coming out. Will keep you posted on the relay signal issue as soon as I discover the problem(s) with these interior relays.
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: relay signals dieing Reply with quote

I've had two of the problems that you describe.

The wiper relay and the heater fan relay. I replaced both relays and everything work as it should. Well... the wipers and heater fans work as they should anyway.

The relay for the heater fan is relay #140
and it's above the wiper relay. I pulled mine and cleaned the contact points which helped for a little while, ultimately I had to replace relay 140 though.

Good luck!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: