Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eruiz91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

Hey All,

Looks like this forum hasn't been active for quite awhile but I was wondering if people would weigh in on their opinions of the Rocky Mountain Westy Twin Peaks Bumpers vs the GoWesty Plate Steel Bumpers. I'm trying to decided which ones to go with. Also, I like the idea of GoWesty's swing arm that attaches to the bumper instead of to the van's body itself, anybody out there have the GoWesty swing arm? What do you think of it? Pros and Cons? Last thing: Does anyone know if GoWesty's swing arm will work on Rocky Mountain Westy's Rear Twin Peaks Bumper?

Look forward to hearing what people think,

Cheers
michaelbteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

No contest, IMO. I installed [easily] the Twin Peaks bumpers on my Westy two years ago and could not be happier.
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

eruiz91 wrote:
Last thing: Does anyone know if GoWesty's swing arm will work on Rocky Mountain Westy's Rear Twin Peaks Bumper?

Cheers

I asked around about this maybe a couple of years ago. I can’t remember the details but I concluded it probably wasn’t going to work. At the time, I called RMW and asked if they were ever going to do another bumper mount swing away system and they said they were working on something. Of course I haven’t seen or heard anything since.
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

I think the RMW bumper looks worlds better, and it comes with a built-in hitch. If only there was a parent discount....
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

Installed mine last year and I love them. I was going through the same process. I ultimately decided on the RMW bumpers because of the looks and strength.

I was contemplating the GoWesty bumpers only because of the bolt on attachments, but eventually convinced myself that if I decide to do a swing away tray or tire carrier that the RMW design for that was also stronger.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

Red Beard wrote:
eruiz91 wrote:
Last thing: Does anyone know if GoWesty's swing arm will work on Rocky Mountain Westy's Rear Twin Peaks Bumper?

Cheers

I asked around about this maybe a couple of years ago. I can’t remember the details but I concluded it probably wasn’t going to work. At the time, I called RMW and asked if they were ever going to do another bumper mount swing away system and they said they were working on something. Of course I haven’t seen or heard anything since.

I believe the GW swing aways won’t work on the RMW bumpers b/c I believe the GW pieces mount outboard of where the RMW end caps attach to the bumpers. Plus a few other reasons that I don’t recall when I was looking into this. Frankly, I’ve seen the GW units and it looks like they were designed to a low end price point. The hardware, fit and finish all look two steps down.

I do like my RMW bumpers! They work as a very solid step when climbing around on the van.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650111&highlight=

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
eruiz91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

Thanks for your opinions everyone! Sounds like everybody loves their RMW bumpers. Anybody unhappy with the RMW swing away arm? was it difficult to install?

Thanks
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

I like the swing a lot. Really solid and well designed. Installation isn't "easy", but the instructions are thorough.

I ended up having to wallow out some of the holes because they didn't line up exactly. I also cross threaded more than a few of the captive square nuts, but they sent out replacements for free with the rest of my order (spare tire mounts were out of stock). It's kind of a pain in the ass trying to bolt that inner brace in place since you're trying to work through the vent, but it's not that bad.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

I love the swing away, and it was a fun install. Brilliant design with the hand-hold that allows you to maneuver the vent bracket into place.
eruiz91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

Anybody out there with the GoWesty Steel Bumpers and the bumper mount swing away arm? Whats your opinion?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

eruiz91 wrote:
Anybody out there with the GoWesty Steel Bumpers and the bumper mount swing away arm? Whats your opinion?

Since this is a RMW topic you likely will not reach much of your desired audience.

Try a search on gowesty bumper,, topic title.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

I'm curious if anyone has had problems with the finish on their Twin Peaks bumpers. I have a front and rear and the finish on the front bumper is rusting from underneath. The rear bumper which sees the most physical abuse is fine.

These are five years old so I have absolutely no complaints with these bumpers or with RMW. I

I was just surprised because they are powder coated. I'm not really sure what the acceptable life span for powder coating that lives outside is supposed to be.

What shows up as white in this flash photo is the finish bubbled up.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I promise that my Doka is not as dirty as this flash photo makes it look!
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

Looks like the rust may have started at the speedclips and migrated under the finish from there?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

The problem with powder coating is it's like a skin and when rust starts at any scratch or chip it spreads under that skin and is very hard to remedy without totally stripping all the pc off. Seems to be more of a problem with flat flexible parts or parts with sharp edges. Unlike regular paint you can't really sand pc very well, it won't feather like paint.
Manufacturers like pc because it's fast and easy. However the surfaces need to be super clean for the stuff to bond properly to the steel.
When you tighten down the hardware onto the pc it can crack and if it doesn't have a tight bond then moisture gets under the skin and away goes rust.

When I assembled my RMW bumpers I sprayed all the hardware and overlapping joints with Fluid Film as a barrier to help prevent rust from starting. I also try to "bandage" any chips with a dab of paint so rust can't get a toehold.

I love my RMW Twinpeak bumpers but wish they had used regular paint, it's so much easier to repair or repaint.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

Yes, my RMW Twin Peaks bumpers all have some sort of finish problem. In the case of the front bumper, I had it re-powdercoated last year. The rear bumper has been a little better. I camp at the beach, and that environment is really tough on steel of any sort.

The bumpers are so good at what they do, however, that I tolerate the finish problem. I can strip and repaint them someday, I guess, but my van is all about function over form, so a little rust doesn't bug me too much. I don't want to be driving a garage queen--my van must always show road grime and wear.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

Thanks all for the feedback.

I agree that the powder coating once damaged is difficult to maintain. These issues are contained to the center section over the hitch so I'm going to sandblast and paint this with an automotive finish.

I agree that these bumpers are good at what they do and my truck sees enough use that it will never be a show queen. I'm looking for tidy and functional!

Onward.
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

I’ve seen similar rust bubbling on another set of RMW bumpers. It’s a little disappointing.
I can only guess why the PC is not up to snuff on them.

- the bumpers were not blasted before PC
- if the steel had mill scale, ie wasn’t oil pickled sheet, the mill scale was not removed.
- single coat PC

I’ve worked a bit with PC on aluminum, for off shore bouys, and the stuff was darned tough. For sure there have been electrolytic failures around fasteners, but on the whole it’s impressive.

And parts I’ve had to modify that have been properly PC could be sanded and feathered.

I’ll guess with RMW, to keep costs reasonable, the bumpers weren’t blasted and it’s only one coat of PC.

I’m not meaning to be negatively critical, costs have to be kept in check.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

I liked my RMW rear bumper. I forget what material the washer was at this point? The stainless washers can spin into the PC and then a point of compromise has been made in the finish. Care while tightening or possibly a different washer material could be used to limit impact to the finish. Once tight if a bumper is bumped it will score the finish should it move slightly too. I don't see a better way around it unfortunately.
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

Thinking about buying a set of RMW Twin Peaks bumpers, to anyone who has them do they still get high marks?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeinleinTrooper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Mountain Westy Bumpers Reply with quote

I like mine. I have not installed anything on them yet, though.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: