Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Below Windshield Rust Repair
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevenb83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

I just picked up a bay window with some awesome patina to it. The only rust that will effect anything is the usual rust below the front windshield. There’s some decent holes, is there any creative ways to cover and seal this up without cutting out and welding back in a new piece? I want to keep the patina for a while and don’t want to start doing a lot of metal work just yet.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

If you're going to take out the window (which you'll have to do to replace the seal that needs replaced of this will only get worse), then you mine as well weld in a new piece now. Because besides cutting an welding your options are: rivet in a cover piece, fiber glass, or leave it. maybe you could like tuck some plastic under the seal and then put the window back in and tape it down? overall, they are all poor choices. Just order the part from KF and weld in that new piece but don't paint it yet. you'll keep the "I'm saving patina" look.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

I did some creative patching in the same area with fiberglass tape and POR-15. (I don't weld.) However I only had about 2% of your visible rust holes. You have to deal with this now or face much worse damage really soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stevenb83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

I might end up just having to go ahead and patch it and and get creative with some paint to try and keep the patina look. Was just hoping someone had come up with a way to avoid all the extra work, since this is a common bay problem.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

I'm with you on that wishful thought for a simple windshield fix. I deliberately leave mine in the garage during rainy days to help delay the inevitable. But it appears the only fix is to weld in a new piece. Fiberglass sounds like it would be a great interim step, but it fails over time.

If you find an easy alternative, you will be a hero to hundreds of Bay Window owners!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

EIS is selling a similar repair panel to klassicfab..anyone have any experience with it?

https://www.eisparts.com/winshield-lower-repair-section-bus-1968-1979new.html

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

duct tape got me out of here! i dont get pictograms very well, but i think you are saying that the EIS piece is basically duct tape?

but, due to that experience , i dotn get pictograms very well:

so you are saying the EIS one is a waste of money? [/url]

Last edited by Yarkle on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
duct tape got me out of here! i dont get pictograms very well, but i think you are saying that the EIS piece is basically duct tape?

No I meant to use duct tape to cover the rust and keep the rain out.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

Ah..Ok, got it. several vendors are selling the grey EIS one now, so i figured someone here may have bought one.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

Stevenb83 wrote:
I want to keep the patina for a while

When there's holes, it's no longer patina... it's RUST/ROT.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
dotn get pictograms very well:

Then what is this in your signature?

[o____o]

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

[img]

The green panels need a LOT of custom fitting. The corners were the worst. [/img]

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Stevenb83 wrote:
I want to keep the patina for a while

When there's holes, it's no longer patina... it's RUST/ROT.

It’s awesome rust/rot.

Stop trying to make ‘patina’ happen Karin, it’s going to die, like ‘fetch’
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

as mentioned you have some substantial rot there. That said i have made temporary repairs (last a few years) in those areas of a bug, i used high quality metal tape as used in the heating and air conditioning business. sticks well, thin, can be built up stronger with a few layers, can be painted and massaged flat and smooth. I had a picture of this but cant find it now. Must clean the surface very well first. can even be slipped under the rubber, I have made permanent repairs to smaller rotted areas using fiberglass bondo. Has lots of fibers in it to grab and stick around the damage dries hard and sandable. For a permanent fix you would need to make sure all rust is removed, or treated and sealed, difficult unless you can get in and observe the inner side of the panel..
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Yarkle wrote:
dotn get pictograms very well:

Then what is this in your signature?

[o____o]

Its my bus!

Pictograms i doodle make perfect sense to me, its just ones from other people that i have trouble deciphering.

I wonder why there are so many mixed reviews on the green panels, could it be that buses over the years have just deformed a bit? Im leery of EIS in general, especially when the price is well over a hundred bucks cheaper.

Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
EIS is selling a similar repair panel to klassicfab..anyone have any experience with it?

I’ve been wondering the same question...

My project 70 lower windshield looks very similar. Rusted/rotted out.

I’ll mention as well, windshield leaks run all over the fusebox killing the relays... ask me how I know.

What I found... Check out the relays in the bottom picture.

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
Stevenb83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

Dang! Mine doesn’t have any of the fuse block or relays, I’ve got to buy new, probably got pulled out because they were like yours
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

Miklo wrote:
Yarkle wrote:

I’ve been wondering the same question...

My project 70 lower windshield looks very similar. Rusted/rotted out.

I’ll mention as well, windshield leaks run all over the fusebox killing the relays... ask me how I know.

Generally, if you bought KF panels directly and had trouble fitting them, he would take some action, make it better just to improve the product.
I recently bought the UK made part from Bus Depot, and it is so bad one almost wonders if it was for a different window! But this vehicle is not too badly rusted, so, I'm just gonna make this into patches. Plus, I bought a shrinker/ stretcher, gotta set it up and learn!
Auto Craft may be better yet. Never tried them. I was so pleased when Gerson came on to the scene, I'll tolerate a little, I guess!
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

was the busdepot one the little metal strip one or the one similar to the EIs one i linked (kinda looks like the klassicfab, but grey?)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: