Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Unknown' Barndoor Deluxes
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 'Unknown' Barndoor Deluxes Reply with quote

DUH!!
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Unknown' Barndoor Deluxes Reply with quote

Kasten68 wrote:
Before the pile of wood... but already a pile of $hit Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any updates on this bus yet? I’m guessing it’s in the U.K. by now
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: 'Unknown' Barndoor Deluxes Reply with quote

any update on the woodpile bus?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Unknown' Barndoor Deluxes Reply with quote

Does anyone know where the woodpile bus landed, I heard it was headed to the UK? Did it survive the journey?
streetwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Unknown' Barndoor Deluxes Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
Does anyone know where the woodpile bus landed, I heard it was headed to the UK? Did it survive the journey?

Yes, it’s landed fine, but it’s had to take a bit of a back seat due to an expanding family, which has needed some house modifications this year 😂
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Unknown' Barndoor Deluxes Reply with quote

Looking forward to this one
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

House wrote:
This one look familiar?
i remember this one the first time i visited that shop, this one was there too.

i didn't know enough back then to know that these were barndoors.

Does anyone know anything about this bus?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonL wrote:
House wrote:
This one look familiar?
i remember this one the first time i visited that shop, this one was there too.

i didn't know enough back then to know that these were barndoors.

Does anyone know anything about this bus?

Looks to be similar if not the same bus.
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 'Unknown' Barndoor Deluxes Reply with quote

wow, interesting. I saw the white one in this thread, and I thought it might be a bus that some of my parts came from. ( So I was told), and the bus looked purpose built, so curious about it. Thanks!
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 'Unknown' Barndoor Deluxes Reply with quote

The white one (and probably green one) is a Swiss observation bus. It was outfitted with special alternator or generator (can’t recall) to power all the additional sirens and speakers. That pic was most likely snapped in 95’ish at Daryl Adams in Ft Lauderdale. He was assembling a large collection of rare and odd VW’s and sold it all off a few years later. A few of us were invited to come spend a day looking through the collection.

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brezelmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Unknown' Barndoor Deluxes Reply with quote

gatorwyatt wrote:
The white one (and probably green one) is a Swiss observation bus. It was outfitted with special alternator or generator (can’t recall) to power all the additional sirens and speakers. That pic was most likely snapped in 95’ish at Daryl Adams in Ft Lauderdale. He was assembling a large collection of rare and odd VW’s and sold it all off a few years later. A few of us were invited to come spend a day looking through the collection.

Not really.

They are ex Swedish Air force and were used as observation / reconnaissance vehicles.
The green is mostly original and still in Sweden from what I have read.

The white one used to belong to Darryl Adams back when he had tons of VW´s.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Unknown' Barndoor Deluxes Reply with quote

Brezelmeister wrote:
gatorwyatt wrote:

Not really.

They are ex Swedish Air force and were used as observation / reconnaissance vehicles.

easy mistake to make. Here in the US Switzerland and Sweden are often confused with each other. Not the countries, but the names

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Unknown' Barndoor Deluxes Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Brezelmeister wrote:
gatorwyatt wrote:

Not really.

easy mistake to make. Here in the US Switzerland and Sweden are often confused with each other. Not the countries, but the names

Thanks Uli...

Coming in a little hot brezelmeister. The country is what I forgot the exact detail on and you condemn my entire comment? Like I wasn’t there and didn’t hear correct😂 I have almost the exact picture from the same day, my guess is that pic belongs to Mike Brown...user SHSC. Carry on 🙄

wanted:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 'Unknown' Barndoor Deluxes Reply with quote

you slippin Todd
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 'Unknown' Barndoor Deluxes Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
you slippin Todd

Probably didn’t even know what bus was in 1995...

wanted:
Benn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Unknown' Barndoor Deluxes Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/127718.jpg
Anybody know what happened to the bottom of this bus????
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 'Unknown' Barndoor Deluxes Reply with quote

Benn wrote:
Anybody know what happened to the bottom of this bus????

Nope, but I know where the deep skylight roof went Wink
Benn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 'Unknown' Barndoor Deluxes Reply with quote

I wouldn’t mind getting more of it and peace it back together like they do in England
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 'Unknown' Barndoor Deluxes Reply with quote

Benn wrote:
I wouldn’t mind getting more of it and peace it back together like they do in England

That would be really awesome.

I wish I could help you with the info, but I only know that the roof came from Old Buses before it was included in the '53 sale. I believe it originated in Sweden.

Good luck with the build and I hope I get to see it in the flesh one day when you finish putting it back together.
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Unk Bus D Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
these are 3 different busses - they have different VINs, different Swedish plates, different characteristics

1. 'The Santa Deluxe' (20-080746)

http://www.barndoor.dk/Gallery54_9a.html
Wherabouts/status unknown?

2. 'Thoms Deluxe' (20-107934):

http://www.barndoor.dk/Gallery54_36a.html
Now in the UK

3. 'Rikkis Deluxe' (20-095904):

http://www.barndoor.dk/Gallery54_23a.html
In the UK

check the tail-lights, reflectors, paint markings etc etc

Dragging an old thread up, but then RS starts some great threads Cool

Interesting to see the Santa Deluxe finally surface ....

https://www.transportworld.co.nz/general/latest-news/show/joc-odonnells-holy-grail-vehicle/133

The story behind this particular vehicle is as impressive as its specifications: and it belies the vehicle’s rough exterior.

Discovered for sale in 2019 by Transport World team member Darren Robbie – himself a Volkswagen enthusiast – on an online message board, this vehicle has endured a multi-stage journey to reach the Bill Richardson Transport World collection since it was purchased in December last year.

It was transported across the Mexican border and shipped out of California: although border restrictions due to COVID-19 meant its journey was delayed by about five months. After three weeks at sea, it arrived at the port in Lyttleton. The Volkswagen Kombi was then transported south and arrived at Bill Richardson Transport World in bits earlier this week. It’s since been installed in the museum’s temporary Volkswagen display, which will close at the end of August.

But wait, there’s more!

This 1954 Volkswagen Kombi deluxe microbus has been the subject of plenty of intrigue in enthusiast circles for years and years.

The story really starts back in the mid-1990s, in the middle of a Swedish forest.

(Yes, really.)

A Volkswagen enthusiast by the name of Jonas Uhland reportedly found this 1954 vehicle, covered in snow, amid the trees. Although in a state of disrepair, he could see it for what it was: an incredibly rare find, the kind of vintage Volkswagen Kombi that makes aficionados dizzy.

He took some images of the Volkswagen Kombi where he found it, and they wound up on the internet. Anybody with even a fleeting interest in classic Kombis will know this type of vehicle has a huge following worldwide, and the internet is full of fan groups and message boards celebrating the glory of everything Kombi. The vehicle was sometimes referred to as ‘the Santa bus’ or ‘the Santa deluxe’, because of the wintry-looking images.

Uhland in turn sold the vehicle to well-known Volkswagen collector Charlie Hamill, before it ended up belonging to a Mexico-based collector by the name of Mario Calderon, who owned the vehicle for some 20-odd years.

Plenty of people have purported to own the vehicle known as “the Santa bus” or “the Santa deluxe”, but we’ve done some digging – and our research into the registration number marking the famed vehicle matches that of the number on the 1954 Volkswagen Kombi barndoor that we now have in our possession.

Darren, from the workshop team, is as excited as Joc to have this particular Kombi in our collection.

“If you’re into Kombis or even just Volkswagens in general, this model really is the pinnacle – it’s the ultimate,” he says.

“It’s going to need a fair bit of tidying up, but it’s very sound. The restoration work that has been done on it in the past is actually good work – they’ve done a good job, especially considering most of it has been made by hand. What’s been done, has been done well. I actually think gathering the parts will be the biggest challenge, and the most time-consuming aspect of it. It might take a couple of years to gather it all up.”

The vehicle doesn’t have an engine, so one will need to be sourced.

(Most of the 300+ vehicles here are ‘runners’ – in working order.)

Half of the upholstery has been recently crafted by an expert in Los Angeles, while a second expert is working on the remainder in San Francisco.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Page 43 of 44

Jump to: