Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

KILLERWATT wrote:
Now that we're living in a time of 6 inch welded drop spindles. Can anybody give me an argument for why I would want adjusters in my beam? Seriously considering buying some plates and narrowing the beam myself without adjusters to save money, shipping and the wait time for a builder's beam.

Fone tuning the ride height.
I can usually have a beam out in a week. Depending on what you want, I may have it ready to go on the shelf.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwchance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I'm looking for some insight on my center pin and the adjustable beam that I'm working with. I don't have any proper diagram.
Here is a stock beam, the area where the spring washer sits.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is my beam. Its squared and the spring washer does not sit properly on top.
I have searched and can't find a similar situation.

Here are the parts I have. And the combination I have tried Am I missing something?

mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

vwchance wrote:
I'm looking for some insight on my center pin and the adjustable beam that I'm working with. I don't have any proper diagram.
Here is a stock beam, the area where the spring washer sits.

Here is my beam. Its squared and the spring washer does not sit properly on top.
I have searched and can't find a similar situation.

Here are the parts I have. And the combination I have tried Am I missing something?

Knock the upper bushing up a bit so it catches the spring washer, but not so high it sits above it.

Cut the round dust shield so it fits over the square body of the beam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
64sunroofguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Ok I havent posted anything in a very looooong time. I have a 66 Kombi that is lowered with flipped spindles and an adjustable narrowed beam. The beam was made by a very reputable Bug beam builder but this was his first bus beam. Cut the stock torsions down to accomodate for the narrower beam and drilled new detents for the bolts on the trailing arms. I also used the bay tie rods and reamed the spindles so I could mount the tie rods on the bottom instead. So my problem is that my bus has ZERO front suspension. Meaning no downward travel at all. Rides like dog crap compared to mtbfriends buses. When I jump up and down on the bumper it DOES NOT MOVE! Its not bottomed out on anything that I can tell. I thought I did everything right. Any advice??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6sixTinBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Can you adjust your beam adjuster up? It sounds like it's at its lowest setting. Do you have shocks installed. Can you upload photos of your setup to get a better look at your beam?

This is for beam adjuster reference only of what you should try to adjust...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=832840

It is what it is
TDIvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Does anyone know who sells brand new straight axle spring plates (as in not a modified original)? I had seen them for sale a few years ago but I don't remember where.
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

TDIvan wrote:
Does anyone know who sells brand new straight axle spring plates (as in not a modified original)? I had seen them for sale a few years ago but I don't remember where.

I sell them.
Normal and 4" dropped.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

64sunroofguy wrote:
Ok I havent posted anything in a very looooong time. I have a 66 Kombi that is lowered with flipped spindles and an adjustable narrowed beam. The beam was made by a very reputable Bug beam builder but this was his first bus beam. Cut the stock torsions down to accomodate for the narrower beam and drilled new detents for the bolts on the trailing arms. I also used the bay tie rods and reamed the spindles so I could mount the tie rods on the bottom instead. So my problem is that my bus has ZERO front suspension. Meaning no downward travel at all. Rides like dog crap compared to mtbfriends buses. When I jump up and down on the bumper it DOES NOT MOVE! Its not bottomed out on anything that I can tell. I thought I did everything right. Any advice??

Sounds like your beam is completely bottomed out with the shocks completely compressed.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
64sunroofguy wrote:

Sounds like your beam is completely bottomed out with the shocks completely compressed.

Or when it was assembled, the arms were forced in.
64sunroofguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Ya Skim. Its actually adjusted as high as it can go right now. And you saw it. Thats all the way up.
I thought same thing with shocks but it rides the same with or without shocks on. I cant remeber if I had to force control arms together to put spindle on. I’m Gonna pull everything apart completely tomorrow and just have a look see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Outlaw1929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Can anybody tell me how far they are moving shock mount back when they cut new beam plates when Narrowing and lowering a bus beam? And is the shock mount stayed the same height as stock just moving back? Thanks guys
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Outlaw1929 wrote:
Can anybody tell me how far they are moving shock mount back when they cut new beam plates when Narrowing and lowering a bus beam? And is the shock mount stayed the same height as stock just moving back? Thanks guys

I'm in Santa Rosa and have done beams waiting. If you want to grab one and be done with it, or you can come by and grab some measurements.
Outlaw1929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:
Outlaw1929 wrote:

I'm in Santa Rosa and have done beams waiting. If you want to grab one and be done with it, or you can come by and grab some measurements.

Thanks Greg, I’ll. Hallar at ya,
demon1018
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:
TDIvan wrote:

I sell them.
Normal and 4" dropped.

Do you have new splined collars for those? I have a project that I have been looking for some of those but have had no luck
BATComm1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I've looked around and got a few different answers...

Got a 66 bus that I am doing a IRS kit on, not going to slam it all the way down do to roads and such so my question is will a 6.5" wide wheel fit on the rear? I'm looking at some that are on a beetle now with no issues.

1965 Beetle, 1966 13 window deluxe walk thru (SOLD) 84 Rabbit 16V Swap
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

demon1018 wrote:
mr. warehouse wrote:
TDIvan wrote:

I sell them.
Normal and 4" dropped.

Do you have new splined collars for those? I have a project that I have been looking for some of those but have had no luck

I do not. Try Nate @ WagensWest. He gets +/- $75 each for them I believe.
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

64sunroofguy wrote:
Ya Skim. Its actually adjusted as high as it can go right now. And you saw it. Thats all the way up.
I thought same thing with shocks but it rides the same with or without shocks on. I cant remeber if I had to force control arms together to put spindle on. I’m Gonna pull everything apart completely tomorrow and just have a look see.

Take some pictures, maybe something that looks normal to you, will jump out at someone here.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Been reading this post all the way thru and im confused Question

This might be a simple answer.

have a 66 bus, want to put in a 68 type 3 drum to drum tranny.

Other than nose cone and swing arm plates this is basically a bolt on affair right? could I just use 5 lug type 3 rear drums on the existing back plates?

I am reading mixed answers and can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance for your help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

halchka99 wrote:

Other than nose cone and swing arm plates this is basically a bolt on affair right? could I just use 5 lug type 3 rear drums on the existing back plates?

It is pretty much bolt in if you are using offset spring plates like the ones from wagons west of the bolt on kit from Old speed. If you go with a wolfgang style kit you will need to change the axle tubes to the longer ones supplied in the kit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

halchka99 wrote:

Swap the nose cone to the type 2 style, offset spring plates will bolt up to your type 3 axle tubes, and a 4 to 5 lug adapter will make your stock wheels bolt on easily. The adapters may need some minor clearancing at the outer edges where they contact the raised ridge of the 4 lug drum.

Here is a 64 I built with this exact setup.

You can use 5 lug type 3 drums, but they are expensive and more difficult to find. 4 lug drums are much more common, and cheaper.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 90 of 100

Jump to: