Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rain tray
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: rain tray Reply with quote

I just installed a new rain tray on my new to me '71 and couldn't help but wonder if it would impair airflow. Does it? I would think that the VW engineers would not design a part that would negatively effect cooling.

Olli
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: rain tray Reply with quote

I hadn't really thought about it but logic says yes it would reduce air flow.

But VW engineers were obviously a pretty bright group of people.

I'm sure that air flow was taken into consideration when they designed it.

I am curious what year it first appeared.

Ah Ha! From chassis # 140 2000 001
August 1969 for the 1970 model year.

Page 8-40 item #2

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/ghia_...ations.pdf

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: rain tray Reply with quote

Found this post.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

70 140 wrote:

• Although not a largely visible difference. 1970 cars receive a newly modified rear deck lid. It features a removable plastic drain tray, and allows more cooling air to enter the engine compartment. This style of decklid is used through the end of production in 1974.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: rain tray Reply with quote

I highly doubt the late plastic style would impede the airflow requirement for a stock engine.

Although a different car and engine, but also air-cooled...I did an experiment on one of the 914's I used to own. I had a 4 channel digital head temp gauge that monitored all 4 head temps in real time, as well as an analog style oil temp gauge. I spent several week running with and without the rain tray, and there was zero impact on head or oil temps.
The 914 rain tray is a similar, albeit much larger, plastic design as the late Ghia rain trays. I would imagine the results for a similar test on a late Ghia would be the same.

Now the early metal rain tray that was part of the decklid...that one probably does impede airflow somewhat, and it's probably why the design was changed as displacement increased on the later cars.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: rain tray Reply with quote

What should one do to the deck lid when putting a 1600 in a 65 or older KG?

Byas
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: rain tray Reply with quote

I'd do nothing. 1600 isn't such a powerhouse and most are running fine without changes to the deck lid.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: rain tray Reply with quote

These forums are littered with failures when "clever" people think they have a better idea than the VW engineers. Progressive improvements were just that. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: rain tray Reply with quote

Just to add....I wasn't implying that the early design was inadequate for the engines VW was supplying. Just that VW saw a way to improve the design, so they did. Porsche did a similar thing on the 356, going to a dual vent grill on the late T6 bodies.
A 1600 is only 0.1 liters larger than the 1500 that ran with the early deck lid from 67-69. That would be totally fine with the early lid. Now if you had, say, a 2332 under there then you might want to think about increasing the ventilation.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: rain tray Reply with quote

I actually am having CB build a 2332 for my '71. Heads will NOT be wild, with reduced fins. They will be Panchitos. Cooling will be dog house, with all the tin, including the sled tins. A venturi ring will be added to the fan inlet. Full flow case, external filter with an external cooler(with fan), 4 qt extra sump.

I just couldn't help myself for asking the question when I installed the rain tray, am I restricting the air flow? Somehow, I don't think so. The VW engineers wouldn't design a part that would be detrimental to cooling IMHO. The more I looked at the tray, the more I could see that there was a great deal of opening through and around the tray. What I might do just for fun is a very unscientific visual smoke test and just watch how the smoke gets drawn in. With vs without the tray. At the present time, the engine is a '71 1600. But that wouldn't change the amount of air that the fan draws.

Olli
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: rain tray Reply with quote

My thought is when you restrict the flow, you get more vacuum thus cooling the incoming air more. I have often wished for a leaf catcher on my Ghia because it gets old reaching in there to get leaves out of the fan. They can sound pretty strange in there.
I used to stand-off the hood on the Beetle in summer but found the extra drag to be a...drag in winter.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: rain tray Reply with quote

I remember hearing about a simple vacuum test to determine this. Idea is to run a length of vinyl tubing from inside engine bay to inside the car and have the end of the tube sit in a container of water. . Take the car out for a run and do a third gear red line . If the motor is sucking in more air than available, water will get drawn in due to the vacuum affect being created.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: rain tray Reply with quote

Even though I never intend to drive it in the rain, I’m contemplating installing one in my ‘70.
I removed the old one many years ago because of a Weber Progressive. No telling what I did with it so I’ll have to get a repop.
Anyone know if they fit with dual carbs?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
myghiarocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: rain tray Reply with quote

Yes, mine fits fine with dual carbs, is there any in classifieds?
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: rain tray Reply with quote

Good to know, thanks

Only a few broken ones in the classifieds.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: