Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

been soaking a stuck engine...
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: been soaking a stuck engine... Reply with quote

Ive been soaking a mitsubishi 4g63 engine (i think its the turbo variant) in wd-40 for a few days now. was able to make the engine turn yesterday, but now i noticed the wd-40 on cyl 3 and 4 drains faster than 1&2 (~30 mins vs a few hours). does that mean cyl 3 and 4 are good? or would that mean they wont seal when the engine is running?

the engine is to be used on my friends project 1986 lancer. it came i think from an evo v. the previous owner crashed the car and parted it out. he literally left the engine in his garden, never sold it... never let anyone touch it... his wife tried to throw it away once, and his usually jolly personality suddenly shifted to a violent, heinous one... he broke all the windows of his house that day. true story! (he was my neighbor)

when he died, his son told us he would give us 5,000 php (~$100) to get the engine. so, hey! youre rarely paid to have an engine complete with papers and was in good running condition the last time it ran (which was back in 2008), so why not? Laughing
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: been soaking a stuck engine... Reply with quote

i had an english muffin and some coffee for breakfast.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: been soaking a stuck engine... Reply with quote

Expert better performance from an English muffin than from WD-40 as an engine soak. The potential loss of an engine should cost no one their windows. Your friend should seek help- or consider shutters.

Soak it in diesel or a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone if you want results.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: been soaking a stuck engine... Reply with quote

Bran muffins produce better morning results for me, fiber is your friend Wink

Since it's turning now but some holes drain faster than others I'll guess the rings are stuck in the pistons on those, try the advanced penetrants Hitest suggests, but don't be suprised if it's a smoker once you get it fired up. Myself I like to remove the head and look at the bores for pitting if I'm after something reliable in cases like that, it may fire up and run OK, but it'll likely gobble oil and may chew up the bores past any limits of available oversize pistons, are you planning on a long term driver?, or something disposable to do burnouts with on weekends until it explodes?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: been soaking a stuck engine... Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Expert better performance from an English muffin than from WD-40 as an engine soak. The potential loss of an engine should cost no one their windows. Your friend should seek help- or consider shutters.

the previous owner of the engine wasnt my friend, he was just a neighbor.

im soaking in 50/50 atf and kerosene right now. no acetone available. the mix in cyl 3&4 still drains faster than the one in 1&4...
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: been soaking a stuck engine... Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Bran muffins produce better morning results for me, fiber is your friend Wink

Since it's turning now but some holes drain faster than others I'll guess the rings are stuck in the pistons on those, try the advanced penetrants Hitest suggests, but don't be suprised if it's a smoker once you get it fired up. Myself I like to remove the head and look at the bores for pitting if I'm after something reliable in cases like that, it may fire up and run OK, but it'll likely gobble oil and may chew up the bores past any limits of available oversize pistons, are you planning on a long term driver?, or something disposable to do burnouts with on weekends until it explodes?

we (myself and my friend) were actualy paid to come get the engine. so if it runs good, great. if it doesnt, no loss. might be able to rebuild in the future...
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: been soaking a stuck engine... Reply with quote

bug1200 wrote:
hitest wrote:

im soaking in 50/50 atf and kerosene right now. no acetone available. the mix in cyl 3&4 still drains faster than the one in 1&4...

Glad your neighbor has settled down. If you borrow hedge clippers from him- for chrissake return them swiftly.

And you've got to be patient. The engine didn't get stuck overnight- so it's going to take time to unstick it. I had to spray a hinge pin on my bus at least 10 times over the course of a month to get it to break free without damage.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: been soaking a stuck engine... Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
bug1200 wrote:
hitest wrote:

Glad your neighbor has settled down. If you borrow hedge clippers from him- for chrissake return them swiftly.

And you've got to be patient. The engine didn't get stuck overnight- so it's going to take time to unstick it. I had to spray a hinge pin on my bus at least 10 times over the course of a month to get it to break free without damage.

actually i did borrow a lawnmower from him before. he ended up mowing my lawn cause he didnt like the way i was handling it hahaha

we (my friend and i) took off the head a few days ago, the cylinders still have the crosshatching, which i presume is a good sign? all cylinders drain evenly now when soaked in 50/50 atf and kerosene... also bought a gasket kit so we wont have to worry about oil leaks...

i also removed the valves so i could replace the seals, but 3 exhaust valves broke. so ill just replace all valves...
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: been soaking a stuck engine... Reply with quote

Excellent news and follow-up!

FU#5
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: been soaking a stuck engine... Reply with quote

Quote:
the mix in cyl 3&4 still drains faster than the one in 1&4...

there's something off in that sentence...

I'm trying to unstuck a Honda CT110 engine that had good compression, the eBay seller said. jmpact wrench on the stator nut does nothing. 50/50 ATF and acetone is next on my list

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: been soaking a stuck engine... Reply with quote

IMHO, if it's stuck it needs to come appart.no reason to waste time with some potus bisquick&tar crap. ..... I pulled a hemi out of a car in a corn field years ago, it had been there for over 40 years out in the country....added fuel to the fuel line gave a squirt in the carbs throat's, wired up the coil and starter and after about 15 sec of spinning if fired right up and idled just fine. it wasent stuck, if it's stuck and stuck good it's dead. many that are just lightly stuck are dead. I do like the idea of a English muffin&coffie instead of a dead motor to take up my valuable time....
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: been soaking a stuck engine... Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
IMHO, if it's stuck it needs to come appart.no reason to waste time with some potus bisquick&tar crap. ..... I pulled a hemi out of a car in a corn field years ago, it had been there for over 40 years out in the country....added fuel to the fuel line gave a squirt in the carbs throat's, wired up the coil and starter and after about 15 sec of spinning if fired right up and idled just fine. it wasent stuck, if it's stuck and stuck good it's dead. many that are just lightly stuck are dead. I do like the idea of a English muffin&coffie instead of a dead motor to take up my valuable time....

Very very profound so much wisdom thank you sir.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: