Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 342, 343, 344 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

cleaned and disassembled the 1600 donor engine and also the 2180 that came with the car
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

both had water in them, but both seem the cases and most parts seem ok

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

slave1pilot wrote:
cleaned and disassembled the 1600 donor engine and also the 2180 that came with the car

Nice. That's always so satisfying.
GBert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Took advantage of the sunny day to rotate the tires and adjust the position of the air filter on my 1978 convertible so there is room between the afm and the crankcase breather hose.
It looks better and there is more clearance.
Started it up and let it run and enjoyed the rumble...
Unfortunately, noticed a bit of brake fluid weeping on the front right wheel so the wheel cylinder will likely need some attention before driving season. Think I'll wait to it is a bit warmer though as the wind was fresh today!
MERKURmeow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I just had to replace my LF wheel cylinder because it was leaking badly. It's annoying doing it again!

I upgraded/repaired my interior light with an LED strip, got both door switches working. Removed the crap hose I was using and mounted my heater blobs to the j-boxes with the original clamps. I'll have to do it again because of tin clearance issues. Finally reinstalled my center console and shift knob. Rewired my rear defroster, only to find 90% of the grid is actually missing. So I decided today I would proto my new dash lights.

Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Well I’m restoring a 71 super and I just got the training and was getting ready to install the throwout bearing when I found this problem, anybody got any ideas on what the problem could be? As you can see the bearing forks are off-center from the center of the output shaft, so when I put the throw out bearing on, the arm on the right hits The back of the throw out bearing, brand new transmission brand new throw out bearing

DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Finally got a stock diameter crank pulley cut for a machined-in sand seal to replace the power pulley my 68 came with. Didn't think about belt diameter... The power pulley belt was too short. But the bug had a 950mm belt in the frunk, so I put that on there. WAY too loose. I thought maybe the alt pulley was aftermarket and wouldn't go large enough, so I pulled the one off my alternator in the stash. Slightly better, but not by much.

Huh... Seems I need a 919/920mm belt.

Sigh. Off to O'Reilley's.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

While waiting for the confirmation from O'Reilley's that the belt is in stock so I can go pick it up, I finally ordered an ultrasonic cleaner. I've wanted one forever, but they used to be stupid expensive. Apparently thanks to online and China, they're pretty cheap now.

https://jet.com/product/6L-Stainless-Steel-Commerc...90d32d591e

$141 shipped.

After watching Mustie1's videos using his, and knowing I have two old NDIX carbs to work on, and the fact that in Kalifornia I can no longer get the GOOD parts dip, I figured it was time to pull the trigger. Can't wait!
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

OK, new belt on. Much happier engine. Then SharkDaughter started to sticker it up:

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Oil and filter change yesterday on my '71 convertible (CB Maxi2 pump/filter); drove it to Bug-o-Rama today. Bought some parts for my 1970 sedan.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
NonStopPhantasm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Yesterday I put new brushes in the generator and swapped out the voltage regulator. Today I'll be rewiring all the lights.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed new tie-rods and centerlink tie rod in my '72 Super. Next, get it aligned.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

spent a therapeutic few hours cleaning the 'used' hood bag I purchased from a small ad online for £35. It was filthy but has come up really well after vacuuming, washing with washing-up liquid and finally using a few flash magic erasure pads - which are very good.

small pic is from the advert
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Over the weekend,new front beam,4 ball joints,tie rods,lowered spindles,and disc conversion.
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Finally reinstalled the wiper assembly with all new bushings, grommets, wiring harness, and arms. Wipers now work as it should.
ctknecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

First major issue resolved in our 2 week old project 1969 Autostick. My son saved his money over the past year and bought himself this car knowing it would be a project.

I am so proud to report that we diagnosed and resolved our autostick clutch issue. While driving we were having issues with the clutch not staying engaged. Ultimately we replaced the shifter contact and properly adjusted it. Man it shifts great. Shifts effortlessly now and without hesitation.

NEXT.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NonStopPhantasm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Today I replaced both of the right front wheel bearings under the radar of my apartment management. Twisted Evil
I also took it for the longest drive it's been for since I got it. Went about 30 miles round trip with a little city driving in the middle. Got home and didn't find any oil leaks and the engine wasn't too hot for me to pull the dipstick.
I'm pleased.
rjplumer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Uncovered mine from winter hibernation. Added a little oil and reinstalled the battery. Turned the key and it came to life for the first time since December. I missed the sound of the engine puttering away. Gave me the hugest smile. Didn't get to drive it yet. I'm hoping to tomorrow. Very Happy
Current VW: 1974 VW Bug(Standard) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8505350#8505350
Previous VW: 1971 VW Super Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Loosened up the clutch cable a quarter turn on the wingnut hoping to fix the slipping clutch. No luck. Wasn't expecting much, but was kind of hoping to make it last until the new engine is ready. Went from 1/2" of play to like 2" of play with that quarter turn.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Loosened up the clutch cable a quarter turn on the wingnut hoping to fix the slipping clutch. No luck. Wasn't expecting much, but was kind of hoping to make it last until the new engine is ready. Went from 1/2" of play to like 2" of play with that quarter turn.

Looks like SharkDaughter is going to learn engine R&R and clutch swap soon !!!

Also check your clutch tube mounts in the tunnel, and the condition of your pedal hook.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

The pedal hook is ok. The cable is a little grabby, I think the bowden tube is shot. The tube and cable will get replaced when I swap engines. Still pulling bits and pieces together for the 1835. All it takes is money... Sad

I drove the Baja to work today. There's now a compression chirp coming from what sounds like #4, and a new knock. So I think today was the last drive I'm going to get out of this 2180. Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 342, 343, 344 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 343 of 449

Jump to: