Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

cal34 wrote:
Really great detail. Where did that parts list and image come from?

You can get your own copy from the technical section. The parts book illustrations are at the bottom of the owners manuals section.
The list of parts came out of the VW parts book.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

Outstanding documentation.

I can't tell you how many hours this would have saved me six months ago! Very Happy
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

I'm pretty upset, but I feel I should share my experience to anyone using this thread to build up their bumpers...

The take home message is double check your bolt lengths during assembly!

I loosely assembled the front bumper before mounting on the car and then tightened all of the bolts. The bolts at the overrider where the towel rails join were a bit stiff, and stuck with a tiny bit of the bolt still sitting proud. I tightened a bit further and there was a crack...
I had mixed up the 55mm and 60mm bolts (which attach the tip of the bumper blade to the car). The bolt was forcing against the inner surface of the overrider and eventually cracked the small threaded bracket inside. Unfortunately, it also bent it a little, so the whole thing wouldn't then line up with the correct bolt.

So. I bent the bracket back to shape with a padded clamp and stuck the joint with JB weld. I'm hoping I've put enough on, but if anyone thinks I should add more before I loosen the clamp, please let me know!

Sadly, both overriders now have a visible bulge from the bolt pressure point and I feel like a careless fool! Still, worse things happen. I can always look out for replacements, although I doubt anyone other that me (and all of you!) would notice!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:

Sadly, both overriders now have a visible bulge from the bolt pressure point and I feel like a careless fool! Still, worse things happen. I can always look out for replacements, although I doubt anyone other that me (and all of you!) would notice!

Have you considered that perhaps your overriders may just be happy to see you?

Wink

Seriously, I hate when things go wrong like that! Evil or Very Mad

If there is a bright side, it may be that you no longer need to worry about your shiney flawless brand-spanking new bumpers getting that first little bit of damage each and every time you take your Ghia out for a drive.
Now that you've predamaged them, there's no longer any need to worry and you can now relax and fully enjoy each drive.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
The take home message is double check your bolt lengths during assembly!

From the list posted earlier in your thread ......
bolt……..………..23……..……..……..2……..……..……..N 10 370 1……..……..……..bolt hex head M 8 x 70

....so, you didn’t use that size? Or is the list wrong?

Nicholas
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:

Have you considered that perhaps your overriders may just be happy to see you?

Wink

Seriously, I hate when things go wrong like that! Evil or Very Mad

If there is a bright side, it may be that you no longer need to worry about your shiney flawless brand-spanking new bumpers getting that first little bit of damage each and every time you take your Ghia out for a drive.
Now that you've predamaged them, there's no longer any need to worry and you can now relax and fully enjoy each drive.

Lol. You're right of course!

There are three 'long' bolts.
55mm: towel rail joint
60mm: blade tip to bodywork and
70mm: through bracket to centre of overrider

I can't be sure, but I don't thing the shorter bolts will reach the centre of the overrider, so I think I got the 55mm and 60mm mixed up.
Anyway, the warning stands!

brianc73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

Super helpful, lots of great tips. I never would have noticed that the uprights are labeled (in German) according to which corner of the car they belong. This was a surprisingly tedious job, with several uncooperative bolts but this post made it faster and easier than it would have been otherwise. Thanks!
William Miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

Thanks for the writeup especially the pictures.
Im working on a '66 vert.

Luckily I have a lift and I was able to hang it almost piece by piece.
You saved me hours of sorting all the pieces.

It all went together but took a long time trying not to scratch the new paint.
My only issue was the rubber trim on those bracket covers were different than what you have. I don't know if mine were correct but they were difficult.
Thanks again!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

Cheers both, I’m glad the thread was helpful!
William, I didn’t actually use the original style rubber on the brackets, I ordered some rubber ‘U’ channel and cut it to size and glued in place. The originals had a flared ‘skirt’ with punched cutouts but it was hard to get them to fit, and I couldn’t see a functional advantage.

pennacook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

question to mcdonaldneal:
Brackets for the reverse lights - were they intact on your rear bumper? Or how do they attach? I've been trying to locate just the brackets for my '69.

PS: I read through your other longer restoration thread - appreciate sharing your experience, makes a new guy like me feel a bit better about trying to do things. Very Happy
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

Thanks pennacook. I’m afraid I can’t answer your question as my revering lights are part of the indicator assembly, so no bracket.
Good luck with your Ghia!

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

I think this photo from my car can answer your question.

I understand 1967 was the first year for standard reversing lights like this. Previously they were an option that needed holes added to the centre section. My 66 had a rear collision in its history that was repaired with a later bumper that has the holes and recesses pressed in it but no lights were ever fitted. Since reversing lights are rather handy I added them and wired up the power via the ignition coil and gear box switch per the VW norm.

Nicholas
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

Your 1969 rear bumper looks like a '70-71 bumper with the non-wraparound towel bars.

Is the car an early '70 model?

Great write-up, by the way.
'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

Larmo63 wrote:
Your 1969 rear bumper looks like a '70-71 bumper with the non-wraparound towel bars.

Is the car an early '70 model?

Great write-up, by the way.

Late 1969. 1970 model year, so you’re essentially correct!
Cheers

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

pennacook most likely does not have the original 1969 rear bumper. Pics tell all.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
pennacook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

Aha! Thanks sputnick60 that helps immensely. I have bolt "plugs" in those holes - so no bracket needed Smile
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

Don't mean to revive this thread but I found it VERY useful.

I would like to add that as I assembled mine using these instructions, I use strips of old intertube rubber sandwiched between the main bumper sections (where the chrome roundhead bolts are used) in an attempt to prevent the chrome from getting scratched.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

Super useful. Thank you everyone .
chaas67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

Hopefully people still watch this thread as I didn’t want to create a new thread on this related question.

I have a question about the rubber stand offs at the ends of the front and rear bumper, are they bolted through the body panel?

On my Ghia, I don’t see any holes in the area where the standoffs would be positioned so I have to assume that they’ve been filled or I’m missing how they are fastened.

Thanks all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: US style towel rail bumper installation *pic heavy! Reply with quote

chaas67 wrote:
I have a question about the rubber stand offs at the ends of the front and rear bumper, are they bolted through the body panel?
Yes, they are bolted through the body panel at each "corner" Sorry I don't have measurements to help you locate the holes properly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: