Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

I cut my car smaller than my patch to be safe, I cant seem to be able to have confident measurements, party because the 2 panels (inner and outer) are joint at the wheel well, I feel like I have no point of reference on the outside so figured of the inside fits the outside panel should? any advice appreciated, here are some pics of my lousy "draft-fit". I honestly have nothing to go on here.
thank you all in advance,

Zaid

PS: I have a bigger repair on the left rear and 2 more spots so I need to figure out a fool proof way to do this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by SupBeetle4Zaid on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

Make your seam where you will be able to reach it with a grinder and if possible will hide the seam. Doing a butt weld with or without a gap is the way to go because it will tolerate bad fit up. If you only have to replace the part that is under the fender bead do that because it won't show.
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
Make your seam where you will be able to reach it with a grinder and if possible will hide the seam. Doing a butt weld with or without a gap is the way to go because it will tolerate bad fit up. If you only have to replace the part that is under the fender bead do that because it won't show.

I dont have to go over the fender, but then how do i make sure my botls are in thr right place? Im just so worried id cut too much and end up ruining my patch panels.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

You could lay the patch panel on top of the piece to be patched with the holes lined up and then make index marks on the edge of the patch piece and to where it mates. Clamp the patch on and thread bolts through a few of the holes to get in oriented.
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
You could lay the patch panel on top of the piece to be patched with the holes lined up and then make index marks on the edge of the patch piece and to where it mates. Clamp the patch on and thread bolts through a few of the holes to get in oriented.

I would but there are 2 layers ti the patch so doesnt lay flat against the surface, im thinking of covering the whole cut are with tape or peel and stick sheet and make holes where the holes are and then peeling it off that and sticking it on the new patch panel, would that be acxurate or also o and so?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

I've tried doing the tape thing, you can see that here-

Link

It works pretty well, but you still have to make a little room for error. Just make sure you line up the tape on the replacement piece right. When I cut mine out and ground it, I ground a bit too much off one side and had to fill it with weld.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

I clamp new piece on top of old after I make a rough cut. Then I cut through both panels a little at a time with a small cutting wheel, remove the excess, and tack the butt joint. After you go all the way around you should have a butt joint that fits perfectly.
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
I've tried doing the tape thing, you can see that here

Is there a part 2? Great video and repair, well done! My repair is much bigger so the peel and stick ripples too much for me to be able to fit it on the repair piece as well as it was on the original one so.. Need to figure out another way.

kman wrote:
I clamp new piece on top of old after I make a rough cut. Then I cut through both panels a little at a time with a small cutting wheel, remove the excess, and tack the butt joint. After you go all the way around you should have a butt joint that fits perfectly.

Im not sure I understand, you cut both panels in parallel while they are clamped on top of one another? Iv seen your build log, please dont assume I have half your skills, unbelievable drive-way paint job!
Im very hesitant with the cutting.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

SupBeetle4Zaid wrote:

kman wrote:

Im not sure I understand, you cut both panels in parallel while they are clamped on top of one another? Iv seen your build log, please dont assume I have half your skills, unbelievable drive-way paint job!
Im very hesitant with the cutting.

If at all possible yes. A thin cutting wheel leaves a perfect gap to butt weld. also test and retest fit. Look at from all angles. go slow with the welding. shape and do hammer dolly work as you go. I never do one task after the other. I usually have the grinder, welder, hammers and dollies, clamps. all in arms reach when fitting a panel.
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

SupBeetle4Zaid wrote:
I cut my car smaller than my patch to be safe, I cant seem to be able to have confident measurements, party because the 2 panels (inner and outer) are joint at the wheel well, I feel like I have no point of reference on the outside so figured of the inside fits the outside panel should? any advice appreciated, here are some pics of my lousy "draft-fit". I honestly have nothing to go on here.
thank you all in advance,

Zaid

PS: I have a bigger repair on the left rear and 2 more spots so I need to figure out a fool proof way to do this.

I'm guessing that the smaller piece is the one you cut off your car. Do you have the fender bolt holes still near the rear apron?
If you do, can you mount the fender to the new patch and bolt in the last bolt in the apron (closest to the bumper), to "clock" the patch and line up the reveal line below the window to get it vertically in position.

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

Danpa wrote:

I'm guessing that the smaller piece is the one you cut off your car. Do you have the fender bolt holes still near the rear apron?
If you do, can you mount the fender to the new patch and bolt in the last bolt in the apron (closest to the bumper), to "clock" the patch and line up the reveal line below the window to get it vertically in position.

Dan

I have only one bolt hole which is the one closest to the front of the car, theres a broken bolt in it that I had to extract to fix the patch piece, I am using your method to draft fit and once Im happy with the initial fit I will try what Kman suggested, but my god its going slow, fitting the panels are definitely my least favorite part of the project, IT SUCKSSS!

Last edited by SupBeetle4Zaid on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

SupBeetle4Zaid wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
I've tried doing the tape thing, you can see that here

Is there a part 2? Great video and repair, well done! My repair is much bigger so the peel and stick ripples too much for me to be able to fit it on the repair piece as well as it was on the original one so.. Need to figure out another way.
Thanks! Yeah here is part 2-

Link
they make these rolls of masking tape that are like 2 feet wide, that might work Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
they make these rolls of masking tape that are like 2 feet wide, that might work Laughing

Thanks! and keep up the good work, My repairs are way too visible so Im afraid the margin or error the rippling in the tape causes is not affordable in my case.

What im doing now is going at a snail's pace cutting and grinding bits here and there until its just right, its not easy and I keep second guessing myself, spent 4 hours today and made very little progress as I have 1 huge and 2 fairly big repairs as well as 2 smaller ones but all together even the small ones are bigger than your repair... Im in too deep Razz
thanks again buddy!
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

Okay, how about this...

Go to the other side of the car and make horizontal and vertical lines from the center of the first 4 or 5 bolt holes to the edge where the fender bead sits. Measure horizontally from the edge of the door jamb to each of the vertical lines.
Next, lay a straight edge (angle iron or similar) though the rear side window openings and measure down to each horizontal line.

Transfer these lines to the other side with masking tape and a fine marker.

This should give you a grid work to align the other side.

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

Danpa wrote:
Okay, how about this...

Go to the other side of the car and make horizontal and vertical lines from the center of the first 4 or 5 bolt holes to the edge where the fender bead sits. Measure horizontally from the edge of the door jamb to each of the vertical lines.
Next, lay a straight edge (angle iron or similar) though the rear side window openings and measure down to each horizontal line.

Transfer these lines to the other side with masking tape and a fine marker.

This should give you a grid work to align the other side.

Dan

Dan, This is the fool proof method iv been looking for, thank you! Will try it out today
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

this is how far Iv gotten, slowly but almost surely, little gaps here and there but nothing I cant weld

this side of the panel is fitted:

still working on the right side:

and this is the smaller of the 2 rear quarter repairs, check out this pending panel:

beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

SupBeetle4Zaid wrote:
this is how far Iv gotten, slowly but almost surely, little gaps here and there but nothing I cant weld

and this is the smaller of the 2 rear quarter repairs, check out this pending panel:

I did that!

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

Oh man that looks like its never coming back together, seems like a real challenge to fit! And you got it absolutely flush, impressive, but how!
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

SupBeetle4Zaid wrote:
Oh man that looks like its never coming back together, seems like a real challenge to fit! And you got it absolutely flush, impressive, but how!

One tack weld at a time! Lots of fitting of the piece before final welding. I welded tabs to the inside of the piece, and used those to attach the piece to the car with Cleco fasteners, and trimmed until I had a uniform gap. Then I used duraglass on any low spots. Every other repair after that was a piece of cake! Wink
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SupBeetle4Zaid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting patch panels from donor to my car, how do I measure? Reply with quote

Iv mixed all the suggested techniques (the ones i have the skill for anyway) and this is the dry fit, its too flush in places and some patches are needed but overall Im happy with how far iv gotten, I bet like beetlenut said, even during the same repair it keeps getting easier so im hoping the rest of them will go faster

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: