Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions.......
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

...from the page before...
kkrol wrote:
A few days ago, something very, very strange happened. I was sweeping the floor in my shop near the area where the SC was parked 50+ years ago. I noticed a small metal strap laying on the floor that looked similar to metal strap that I was missing from my 40 horse.
I don't know how to explain this!!! It must be dumb luck or maybe my dad (the original owner) was looking over my shoulder from above! Similar instances have occurred while I was in the process of restoring the bus!

Whoa! Had you looked outside at that moment you would have seen Rod Serling.

I believe too.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

Whoa! Had you looked outside at that moment you would have seen Rod Serling.

I believe too.

You know you're getting old when...you're on a stale air 40 thread and know who Rod Serling was...

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

kkrol wrote:
Several months ago, I put the original numbers matching 40 horse motor back into my 63 single cab. The only thing that that was missing, that I know of, was the metal strap that goes from the triangular bracket on the fan shroud to the air cleaner.

A few days ago, something very, very strange happened. I was sweeping the floor in my shop near the area where the SC was parked 50+ years ago. I noticed a small metal strap laying on the floor that looked similar to metal strap that I was missing from my 40 horse.
I don't know how to explain this!!! It must be dumb luck or maybe my dad (the original owner) was looking over my shoulder from above! Similar instances have occurred while I was in the process of restoring the bus!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Which just goes to show, that stuff is not really lost, till you empty the garbage can.
NOTE TO SELF: Run a magnet thru all floor sweepings!
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

I have a 62 Kombi with stale air boxes. I've never hooked up the heater hose before but now that its dipped below freezing I had to do something to get some heat. That might be a mistake cause damn is the air noxious. While it is pumping out heat but its also got some terrible mix of emissions that makes me wonder if stale air is safe. Am I missing something?
1963 Type II Deluxe MG\PW
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

mastorna wrote:
I have a 62 Kombi with stale air boxes. I've never hooked up the heater hose before but now that its dipped below freezing I had to do something to get some heat. That might be a mistake cause damn is the air noxious. While it is pumping out heat but its also got some terrible mix of emissions that makes me wonder if stale air is safe. Am I missing something?

when is the last time you pressure washed the underside of your motor?

stale air is perfectly safe as long as it is clean, and does not have any holes in the exhaust.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
2Pack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

mastorna wrote:

The heat in my stale air singlecab does smell different than fresh air heat, but it doesn't smell like exhaust. I might describe it as smelling a little oily. I find it pleasant.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

2Pack wrote:
mastorna wrote:

The heat in my stale air singlecab does smell different than fresh air heat, but it doesn't smell like exhaust. I might describe it as smelling a little oily. I find it pleasant.

Well, that's it. Hot oil. I think VW scared owners of older stale air cars. Keep in mind, Porsche usded the same stale air heater on 912's clear thru the end of their production EXCEPT for those with European heater systems (Which were a Porsche 912 Version of the exhaust heater). It just was not that bad.
But we shall see, as I march forward towards a stale air 40 in my single cab!
Al
Vanagons:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:

when is the last time you pressure washed the underside of your motor?

stale air is perfectly safe as long as it is clean, and does not have any holes in the exhaust.

Well, its probably then that the underside could use a good power wash. Its been kind cleaned but i've probably not got a lot of the caked on grease and oil off. I'll give that a shot and see how it smells.

The exhaust is brand new and I don't detect any leaks so I feel pretty good about that not being the source of the issue.
1963 Type II Deluxe MG\PW
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

Breathing a bit of hot oil will not kill you any time soon. May be unpleasant and long term exposure might have long term deleterious effects.
Furthermore, most old buses have plenty of fresh air to dilute it.
Al
Vanagons:
kkrol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Breathing a bit of hot oil will not kill you any time soon. May be unpleasant and long term exposure might have long term deleterious effects.
Furthermore, most old buses have plenty of fresh air to dilute it.
Al

Make sure your exhaust header pipes have no leaks. As aprecaution you should check the interior with a carbon monoxide tester while driving the bus. I know of people getting whoosy driving a bus with leaky heat exchangers.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

In years past the smell of burning oil getting into the stale air system would have bothered me. Now though, since I succumbed to anosmia,(that means I suffer from a total lack of smell now, the olfactory nerve was severed in a cranial concussion, bugger that! )so now, I could have a rotting corpse in the passenger seat and not be bothered by the smell.

In all the years I have driven with stale air heating, I don't recall ever finding horrible style exhaust leaks. Smells are one thing, noxious fumes are another...

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.

Last edited by glutamodo on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

Actually, I suppose you could get rusted out exhaust to leak into the heater, but usually what you smell is hot oil.
I'm not totally against going to fresh air if I have to, just like the looks of a stale air motor.
Does anybody have opinion which would put out more heat in a 40 single cab. Or is one as bad as the other?
Al
Vanagons:
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Actually, I suppose you could get rusted out exhaust to leak into the heater, but usually what you smell is hot oil.
I'm not totally against going to fresh air if I have to, just like the looks of a stale air motor.
Does anybody have opinion which would put out more heat in a 40 single cab. Or is one as bad as the other?
Al

a stock 40horse in a single cab will absolutely put you in shorts and t-shirt even in well below freezing temps.

warmest bus i ever had was a 40horse crewcab. less doors than a bus (less holes) and smaller cabin than a bus. Single will be even better.

Just don't put anything made of plastic near the heater vents. plastic bags will melt! I think clara once posted a pic of the reading of a thermometer pointing at the bottom heater vents

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

I never owned a DRIVING splittie, nor a driving single cab. Drove a few splitties over the years, but not very far. I lived with my first Bay window a kinda rusty 1970 deluxe that I patched into a work van, for about 7 years thru Iowa winters. And it was BARELY warm enough. I had a couple gas heaters, Southwind and Eberspaecher, but never quite found the time to install them.
I know the front and sliding door gaskets on bays leaked a LOT, so I figure the single cab will be better.
Gotta go put a new boiler in my house now! That's my real heat worry.
Al
Vanagons:
kkrol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

I have a 63 Single Cab with stale air heat and several later busses with fresh air. The stale air SC definitely puts out the best heat. I put a set of NOS heat exchangers on it a few years ago so there are no leaks.
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

kkrol wrote:

My dad has pulled this stunt with me a couple times. They never really ever leave us...

Pete Keesling
Driving a VW every day.....
kkrol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

drpete wrote:
kkrol wrote:

My dad has pulled this stunt with me a couple times. They never really ever leave us...

And that is a very good thing!
volkswagenman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

My late stale air engine. Rebuild from mostly NOS parts. engine nr. 59521**

I know the copper vacuum line in not originally on this engine but i don't want to replace the ignition membrane again. It took me 4 years and 3 wrong manifolds to find the correct NOS intake manifold for this engine. Cilinders and pistons al all original NOS. Only changed the piston rings and valves for better (new) ones for unleaded fuel.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhjL5yFn-R7/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

volkswagenman wrote:

I know the copper vacuum line in not originally on this engine but i don't want to replace the ignition membrane again. It took me 4 years and 3 wrong manifolds to find the correct NOS intake manifold for this engine. Cilinders and pistons al all original NOS. Only changed the piston rings and valves for better (new) ones for unleaded fuel.

Beautiful engine.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

volkswagenman wrote:

Very pretty. Mine will NOT be that nice.
A couple questions:
1. isn't it supposed to use the earlier thread thru rubber wire supports?
2. Doe this then use the rubber hanger from the bumper to support the tail pipe/ damper?
3. Is the coiled green points wire original or original equipment? Does anybody sell them? I rather suspect they are still out there in somebody's Bosch stash. Mine needs a new green wire and I'd like to find an original.
It sounds so smooth and quiet!
Vanagons:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: