Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15" rims, all terrain tires, offsets, back spacing...Lord
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: 15" rims, all terrain tires, offsets, back spacing...Lord Reply with quote

Ok...I've read a ton of the wheel/tire threads, will it fit, etc.
Here's my dilemma, it only really applies to the fronts.
I am running all terrain tires with aftermarket Baja style wheels, 205/75/15 tires on the front, which are the skinniest all terrain tires I could find.
With the offset/backspacing on my wheels (and all aftermarket wheels I have researched) the tires stick out just enough to rock chip the crap out of the side of my Thing.
I don't like the looks of wider front fenders, but is that my only option?
I appreciate any thoughts
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" rims, all terrain tires, offsets, back spacing...Lord Reply with quote

How about adding some mud flaps?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 15" rims, all terrain tires, offsets, back spacing...Lord Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
How about adding some mud flaps?
i e got ‘em on
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 15" rims, all terrain tires, offsets, back spacing...Lord Reply with quote

I don't have them on mine, but I've heard the running boards also double as rock guards.

I too get rock chips on mine, but on the front of the rear fenders, I need to look at some mud flaps myself. (or running boards).

Also, are the current mud flaps wide enough?

I bought some big truck mudflaps from my work and made a towing guard flap for tow-barring my thing.

Idea Wonder if the same type material could make you some extra wide flaps? That thick rubber is hard to cut but it may could work...

Just thinkin'

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" rims, all terrain tires, offsets, back spacing...Lord Reply with quote

MConstable wrote:
With the offset/backspacing on my wheels (and all aftermarket wheels I have researched) the tires stick out just enough to rock chip the crap out of the side of my Thing.

Out of curiosity, what is the backspace on your wheels? How about the width? Do the tires protrude beyond the edge of the fenders?

When you say Baja style wheels do you mean these?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

By the way, when we discuss wheel width relating to old vee-dubs, we're talking about the width between the bead seats - "nominal width" on the drawing below.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: 15" rims, all terrain tires, offsets, back spacing...Lord Reply with quote

Those are my rims, fronts are 6" wide with 3 1/4" backspace which puts my 205/75/15 front tires just at the edge of the fender.
The wheels I want to run have the same backspacing.
That being said, I found out 5.5" BRM five spokes have 4" plus backspacing on their rims so I might go that route.
Thanks for the help guys
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: