Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine removal
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Engine removal Reply with quote

I am trying to remove the top two bolts on my engine, but as they are loosened, it seems the bolts keep winding. Does that mean the screw stem is not properly mounted into the case of the transmission?

Has anyone dealt with this problem before and how to remove the engine in this case?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Engine removal Reply with quote

They are a nut and bolt depending on which engine you have in there so you need to put a wrench on the other side to hold it.
There is a tool to make it easier
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Engine removal Reply with quote

I saw a guy use vise grips once
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Engine removal Reply with quote

Or wedge a 15 box end wrench on the tranny side. When you get it out put a D bolt in its place.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Engine removal Reply with quote

Get a helper or the fancy tool or use a Vise-grips or box wrench to keep the one side from turning.

Once 1971 year engines arrived, those had a threaded boss on the upper left and a bolt from the front side.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Engine removal Reply with quote

What is this tool called? I have a 36hp in a 59 beetle.

Everything seems to be original besides all the rust and fuel pump.. Smile

60ragtop wrote:
They are a nut and bolt depending on which engine you have in there so you need to put a wrench on the other side to hold it.
58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Engine removal Reply with quote

Duh, it is written right on the too. I found it.

-M
58Sleeper wrote:
What is this tool called? I have a 36hp in a 59 beetle.

Everything seems to be original besides all the rust and fuel pump.. Smile

60ragtop wrote:
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine removal Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Or wedge a 15 box end wrench on the tranny side.

Real VW mechanics make sure it is a 17 mm head in there Wink
Here's one place that sell the 17mm tool
https://www.handsontools.com/SIR-Tools-P222-Magnetic-Box-V-Wrench-17mm-for-Porsche_p_19097.html
Drill a hole in it and put a small chain that dangles down so you don't leave it on ther car. I've found and lost a lot of this tool over the years Laughing

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58Sleeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Engine removal Reply with quote

Ma' Man! Thank you for the link. The prices I was finding was over $60.00.

-58Sleeper

60ragtop wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

https://www.handsontools.com/SIR-Tools-P222-Magnetic-Box-V-Wrench-17mm-for-Porsche_p_19097.html
Drill a hole in it and put a small chain that dangles down so you don't leave it on ther car. I've found and lost a lot of this tool over the years Laughing
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine removal Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

That’ll teach me to go off memory. Lol.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine removal Reply with quote

I know this is going to seem ghetto but it has been working for me for years

I took a 1 1/2" piece of a sturdy wire coat hanger. Cleaned it off real good and then welded it across the top of the bolt. When the bolt spins, the wire hits the side of the trans housing and it wont turn. This allows me to tighten the nut without having to go under the car.

like I said- ghetto but you cant beat the price

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine removal Reply with quote

My choice method is once off, clean up the threads, oil and use dum-dum putty aka strip putty on the trans side to hold the bolt in, works like a charm.

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: