Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Surfboard Rack!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

Damn... I didn't want to see Glassy's picture again. It makes me feel really lame. 'Catch a few for me....'

Jim
Manx #2614
Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

Ha! Will do Wetstuff
VW Aircooled Society
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

The VWAS Surfboard Mount Kit is finally here.

The design team wanted to create something that would me functional as well as aesthetically clean without ruining the flow of the dune buggy.

It made its debut at a local vw car show on Sunday March 5th, 2018 at Show n' Shine VW Car Show

It will be offered for sale on our website

So here it is:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

^^^ shouldn't this be in the Classifieds instead?

And throw a few bucks to SurfNC for every unit sold -

bnc
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:

bnc

Sir,
Its not being offered for sale as he clearly stated that it was shown at a VW car show and that soon it will be offered on their website so its not an ad but more an announcement bc afterall its a Surfboard Rack thread.

My '67 Split Window Bus project :
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=634144

My '67 Maserati Blue Oceano Bug Build:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541870
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

Hmmm. The front of that surfboard rack looks familiar. Lol. I still have to give Surfnc the credit for his design and idea.
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

Glassy Guy wrote:
Hmmm. The front of that surfboard rack looks familiar. Lol. I still have to give Surfnc the credit for his design and idea.

The idea did not come about because of Surfnc..actually a friend of ours Allen Cox from Oklahoma provided the input from something he had done some 10 years ago.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

And yet it was 10 years ago that Surf posted up his photos... yeah.. too much coincidence here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

Can you post photos of the rollbar rack without the board on it? It's difficult to see the details.
Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

Not trying to take any credit away from your friend Allen Cox. I only saw Surfnc's post so that was the basis of my reply. This forum has inspirired many ideas that helped me along the way.
VW Aircooled Society
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
And yet it was 10 years ago that Surf posted up his photos... yeah.. too much coincidence here.

Yes i see his post from 2008 but Surfnc is tubular whereas ours is a flat bar and according to Allen Cox it was not from a post on here .,. he simply suggested it because we had seen what he had done with his buggy

Here is Surfnc tubular bar

Here is what Allen did to his buggy although the pic is not of a surfboard kit that he worked on but you can pretty much imagine how creative he is with the billet cluster in this pic.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

Goshen wrote:
didget69 wrote:

bnc

Sir,
Its not being offered for sale as he clearly stated that it was shown at a VW car show and that soon it will be offered on their website so its not an ad but more an announcement bc afterall its a Surfboard Rack thread.

Sir... price not on their website.

bnc
VW Aircooled Society
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:

Sir... price not on their website.

bnc

Not yet... hopefully this Sunday we will post it on our site..
VW Aircooled Society
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

andygere wrote:
Can you post photos of the rollbar rack without the board on it? It's difficult to see the details.

What do you think a kit like this would go for ?
or better yet what do you feel you would be willing to spend on one ?
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

If I was going to fabricate surfboard rack mounts for my dune buggy from scratch (standard windshield, 2” rollbar), this is probably the direction I would go:

------2 each 3 ft. x 2” aluminum flat bar (currently available at Lowes for approx. $11.00 per piece)
------2 each aluminum windshield clamps (currently available at cip.com for approx. $10.00 each)
------2 each aluminum modular parallel rollbar mounts from fourtreks.com (currently available for $54.00 each). If I wanted a tight, aluminum-to-stainless-steel-rollbar fit, I would go with 2”. If I wanted to be able to protect the stainless steel rollbar surface, I would go with 2.25”, which would all me to pad the extra space.
------2 each 18” Dakine surfboard pads for aero (flat) racks ($25.00 for set of 2)
------2 each 12’ Dakine tie down straps ($20.00 for a set of 2)

Summary: Dry fit all of this before any cutting takes place. Considering the overall width of your surfboard, cut the front aluminum flat bar to length if needed (make sure and leave room for the straps to be secured). Smooth/polish the ends of the flat bar. Mount the aluminum windshield clamps on the windshield (don’t forget to center), measure/drill holes in the flat bar for stainless steel socket head cap screws/washers (you will have to source these for yourself). Assemble the front rack.

Considering the overall width of your surfboard, cut the rear aluminum flat bar to length if needed (make sure and leave room for the straps to be secured). Smooth/polish the ends of the flat bar. Mount the aluminum modular parallel mounts to the rollbar (don’t forget to center), measure/drill holes in the flat bar for stainless steel socket head cap screws (these are included with the parallel mount; you may want to add stainless steel washers). Assemble the rear rack.

Mount the Dakine surfboard pads on the front and rear flat bars (you may have to install the front pad before attaching the flat bar to the windshield clamps). Other than properly strapping down a surfboard, you are done. Walah. (Don’t forget, this is just a basic summary; adaptions may be required for your particular circumstances).

Not counting shipping/tax and extra bolts, a setup similar to this would ballpark around $200.00. I have used/am using the Fourtreks modular parallel mounts on a semi-permanent double wakeboard roof setup that I have had installed for years; the quality of these parts is topnotch.

Photo below of the Fourtreks parallel mounts. This was just a mockup; even though the mounting holes are threaded, I added nuts/washers to complete the look.

I guess Option B could be considered as well (once again, I am referring to my particular setup as an example). Instead of purchasing the 2nd piece of aluminum flat bar and the Fourtreks modular parallel mounts for the rear mount, consider 2” compatible roll bar padding as an alternative. The padding could be secured with proper-length nylon zip ties. Typical 2” rollbar padding can be cut to length and purchased for approx. $5.00 (Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies). This choice may not look quite as clean as the first option above, but the profile of the rear attaching point would be a little lower, and it may cut down the total investment by approx. $114.00, resulting in a modified total of approx. $86.00 (once again, this price does not include extra bolts if needed, tax, and shipping).

Always try to position your straps so that the buckles are not coming into contact with/laying on the fiberglass surface. There is no need to over-tighten; as long as the buckles are in good shape, a snug/secure fit is fine.

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
VW Aircooled Society
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

Gary0302 ?

Our Surfboard Mount Kit will sell for $189.00 + Shipping which is between $25.00 to $28.00 insured to CA which is the furthest unless we get orders for Hawaii which we expect to but for the time being the initial orders that we have are these shipping amounts.

The Kit will be complete.. even the allen keys come with it and an instruction sheet on how to install it. We also include a polishing cloth and keychain and FCS padded strap.

We will be posting it on our website soon in the next couple of days and a Samba ad as well.

Last edited by VW Aircooled Society on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

I think the market will be slim at your price.
VW people tend to be broke, or cheap. They're also resourceful at making their own widgets.

bnc
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
VW people tend to be broke, or cheap. They're also resourceful at making their own widgets.

bnc

Ive seen some kits that some people made where they are drilling straight through the surfboard just to secure it how crazy is that whereas this kit is complete and a show-quality. Now I see your photo that you have a dune buggy I'm sure that you didn't go cheap on your dune buggy. Now some people may not have money or be broke or be cheap then there are some others that will have the money to spend.

so it comes to a choice whether you want something very nicely done and show quality or you want something half-ass....the choice is yours.

I prefer to fork up 189 bux for a really nice one like the one on the black buggy.

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

Goshen wrote:
didget69 wrote:

bnc

Ive seen some kits that some people made where they are drilling straight through the surfboard just to secure it how crazy is that whereas this kit is complete and a show-quality. Now I see your photo that you have a dune buggy I'm sure that you didn't go cheap on your dune buggy. Now some people may not have money or be broke or be cheap then there are some others that will have the money to spend.

so it comes to a choice whether you want something very nicely done and show quality or you want something half-ass....the choice is yours.

I prefer to fork up 189 bux for a really nice one like the one on the black buggy.

Hai...

If I decide that I want a part/widget, I fabricate it. I'm a Product Designer by background, so designing and fabricating something isn't an issue.

Similar Clamp solutions are varied & can be sourced for less money than great price list Gary provided.

http://lightdesignsystems.com/products/lightweight...cessories/

http://www.racereadyproducts.com/new-stuff/vision-x-tube-clamp-mounts/ - $50-$70/pair for 2" or 2.25"

https://www.vxwholesale.com/universal-tube-clamps/ - alternate source for above clamps

My Point Was Obviously Missed: The price point seems a bit much for what appear to be very simple components.

May the Seller reap a large profit from the sale of their product!

bnc
VW Aircooled Society
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Surfboard Rack! Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:

Hai...

If I decide that I want a part/widget, I fabricate it. I'm a Product Designer by background, so designing and fabricating something isn't an issue.

Similar Clamp solutions are varied & can be sourced for less money than great price list Gary provided.

My Point Was Obviously Missed: The price point seems a bit much for what appear to be very simple components.

May the Seller reap a large profit from the sale of their product!

bnc

I am also a product designer and innovator. It's great that you are able to make your system because you have the capability to do so. Some people don't and to those that prefer to just not go through the hassle then they can just buy one.. as far as reaping a large profit ? Hardly a large profit and the reason for this is because the hardware is expensive for Stainless Steel and the other pieces are manufactured. I have also used very good quality products. I have kept the price low enough to make it affordable because our hobby cars are expensive or rather say that is an expensive hobby.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: