Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Un-less it's something like a really bad oil leak somewhere or the engage tab on the oil pump drive shaft has ground off or the gear is spinning on the shaft (gear spinning on the shaft would not cause metal filings so that would be a good thing to find). If you reve a cold vw engine with heavy summer oil like 30 weight some times the gear shaft of the oil pump will sheer. If so it left steel filings in your engine and it would be wise to completely take it apart and blow all the metal filings out of the case and crank and push rod tubes. Probably just get a different oil cooler as a piece of steel could hang up inside it and come out sometime in the engines future. I don't know maybe you run a oil filter then it's ok just clean things up change the oil install a new oil pump run lighter oil and it should be good. (Well if it did not mess up the cam too bad!) No Full Flow filter with steel tab sheer on steel cam = full engine disassembly and clean up.

Let's hope it does not look like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, I'm afraid it does look like that. At least I know why there is no oil pressure.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

The end of the cam shaft was damaged also. So, I started taking the engine apart and will remove it tomorrow. I called my VW mechanic, he will rebuild the engine.
Looks like my Shasta trip money will be going to the rebuild for this year.
I still do some woodworking, so need the sc ready for duty.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:

Looks like my Shasta trip money will be going to the rebuild for this year.

Sorry about your motor issue. Please explain?

In over twenty years of driving these things, I've still never swayed from my hardy, survivor mentality of finding used, cheap or free "smoker motors", doing basic testing and service to them, and then literally getting thousands of miles and years of service from them. When they shit themselves, another $100 engine is literally waiting in the shop, or craigslist, and so on. I've very successfully refused to allow blood thirsty witch doctors to perform sorcery on these most primitive engines, or, case in point, my bank account, and thus RUIN the fun and self reliance of my VW program. Please let us know you have not selected the "push button" give-up mentality that sadly has taken over much of our society today. Please let your followers know that indeed, you are the hardy VW adventurer who, in the protection of a warm garage, with weeks to source many solid replacement engines for cheap, will indeed step up to the plate and squash this common "replace engine NOW" issue. Everyone wants to see you succeed.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/111172605578546/
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Brian. There are some other issues preventing me from making the journey this year also. All the pieces (time, energy and money) haven’t worked together for the trip from my home to Shasta, and the trip back home. I think it’s not a good idea for me to do that part solo. And, my son has limited time to spend on the drive with me.
You are a really hard core, “hardy, survivor, self reliant” bus guy, with experience doing engine repairs to make the journey or drive out, ( I admire that) But I am not that hard core.
I have trusted my mechanic for over 20 years, we are friends, so I rely on him to have a “reliable” bus for me to drive. He won’t be able to join with me on the adventure either.
I definitely want to “succeed”.
I’m sorry if I’m letting anyone down by my decision. I feel the support and good wishes from many people.

Perhaps 2019 will be the better time to go.

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

I'm still working on the pick up as I wait for the engine to return from the machine shop.
I have wondered why the air flow of the heater has been so low the last few years. I found out why:

I received my new heater ducts from Ronnie and did a little upgrade. I wrapped the spring with AL foil to keep the insulation out of the air stream.

Then wrapped the fiberglass around the foil and slid it into the plastic outer tube.

Now, I think I'll get better air flow for a while.

I didn't do much research on this, so there may be a better way, but I think this will work.

I got the bus to a Hot Rod show on Sat. 3 buses and 2 beetles.

&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2019 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Obvious problem is obvious, as is solution. Well done.

Hoy! Man, Sandy's '65 Beetle has major rustification issues but I'm slowly dealing w/ 'em. You know what she bought for the garage here? A brand-new friggin' Hobart MiG- so no longer do I hafta soldier on with the breakity units I've been borrowing. Like butter this thing welds.

At the moment the passenger side sill, floor extension, rear pan section and heater tube are out and being reckoned with. All were transparent w/ corrosion. Two new rear inner fender chunks/bumper-bracket plates are done.

Mack and Sandy say howdy!
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2019 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
Obvious problem is obvious, as is solution. Well done.

Hoy! Man, Sandy's '65 Beetle has major rustification issues but I'm slowly dealing w/ 'em. You know what she bought for the garage here? A brand-new friggin' Hobart MiG- so no longer do I hafta soldier on with the breakity units I've been borrowing. Like butter this thing welds.

At the moment the passenger side sill, floor extension, rear pan section and heater tube are out and being reckoned with. All were transparent w/ corrosion. Two new rear inner fender chunks/bumper-bracket plates are done.

Mack and Sandy say howdy!

I hope to see the Beetle in Dec., or sooner. Glad you can help out.
Howdy to Mack and Sandy!

I'm still waiting for the single cab engine parts to get back from the machine shop, and then to the mechanic to be assembled. I did buy new stock heads.

Got to two monthly Austin VW club meetings.

I have been wanting to take a photo if this mural in my home town painted by a friend of mine.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2019 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:
I did buy new stock heads.

Where did you get them and which ones?

silkvw wrote:
I have been wanting to take a photo if this mural in my home town painted by a friend of mine.

Talented work. Does it have a title?
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2019 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
silkvw wrote:
I did buy new stock heads.

Where did you get them and which ones?

silkvw wrote:

Talented work. Does it have a title?

EMPI heads from CIP1, 3/4" reach plugs, valves included, $190.00, free shipping. I know they may not be the very best, but are in my budget.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D98%2D1325%2DB

The title is "Immigrant Nation" Dec. 2009 by Tom Besson. His wife works in the building it's painted on. If you want to know more: http://advocacyoutreach.org/tombesson.html (I'm in the dedication photo)
Tom is an interesting guy.
A friend of mine owns the building, Tom included a small note on the painting dedicated to the owners son who died at a young age.

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2019 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Still waiting for my engine for the single cab. But, I have been able to do some of the little changes and repairs on the sc while I wait.
And, I made some bungee cords to hold the curtains in place. I used copper pipe and tubing.

Looks like they will stay in place ok.

72" bungee cord was from a local hardware store.

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2019 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Haven't posted for a while.
My single cab is back together again, but I have been having trouble with the two old carbs I have, so I ordered a rebuilt German one from Volkzbitz.

I never have really liked the grey paint on the lower part of my bus. It looks like someone applied it with a broom or something. So I started wet sanding it off one section at a time.

Most people ask if I'm going to paint the bus, I just tell them no, it has plenty of paint on it already. Smile

My granddaughter did some work on the other side.

She used chalk paint, it washed off easily later.

My wife and I drove out to Calif. in July (in our Honda) and spent 3 days in Baja, at the beach where I went as a child, and we took our kids when they were young. Happened to meet Gretchen and John Jones when we were out and saw their bus.

A for real Shasta bus. They were there for the Baja 500 race.

Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2019 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Love it all Greg! Good update
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Texcessorizing Reply with quote

Well done! Plus the BETO sticker really ties the look together.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2019 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Last weekend I went to the 2018 TX Busfest. Cool weather, some rain and a tornado watch, but no damage. It's a fund raiser for the local Police and EMS.

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2019 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

I updated my cab divider and used some 1/4" Baltic Birch with Walnut trim for a non sliding glass. I never did slide the glass open last winter, so made it fixed.
Getting ready for the Big Bend Bus Bash IV, leaving on Dec. 26.

It sure does keep the heat in the cab

Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2019 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

looking good Greg!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2019 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

another 1200 miles on the odometer and a bunch of great memories.

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2019 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

So this year is a go i'm assuming?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2019 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

This year is a "went" now.
We had a great time with a few challenges thrown in. Rain storm, dust, bad gas for one bus and 3 cylinder engine for a while.
National Park was open, but not many folks there to run it. That was a good thing for us.
We had 4 regular Samba buses on the trip.

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2019 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

so you went on the SST2018? I'm confused as 2019 hasn't happened yet.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 20

Jump to: