Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW model build topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

WOW! we got some incredible work being put on display, i love to see everyone's efforts. here is the engine for my tracked bus, 1500cc bus single port ,with porshe carb and "teepee" exhaust out the roof, push rod tubes are supposed to be SCAT spring loaded jobs,,,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Nice. Are you sure 1500cc is enough to power the tracks and blower?

Smile
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

If you look at the diameter of the main drive wheels, that thing will be a crawler.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

well it is just a model, not a real van, but if you got a 50hp engine turning a 50hp hydraulic pump, should be good to clear snow, it is not meant for the race track,,,, i did consider going porsche 911 twin turbo with twin plug heads, but decided a hard working vw engine would fit the theme better
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Here's my finished 1/16 Tamiya Kubel.

This represents my first recollection of anything VW-related. My father was an NCO in a First Armored Division front-line maintenance unit from Operation Torch until the end of WWII. When I was a little boy he told me of the "German Jeep" that he drove in North Africa. His story, as best as I can remember, was that his unit stumbled onto a Kubel not too long after the Battle of Kasserine Pass. The car had a bent axle or spindle and was abandoned by the Wehrmacht. Dad and his guys found another knocked out VW with the parts they needed. After getting it running and painting some U.S. stars on it he drove the little car until First Armored moved across the Med to the Italian campaign. He was unable to load the car onto their transport because of standing orders to leave all captured/contraband vehicles behind so he drove it out of the way and dropped a hand grenade in it so no one else could get it.

Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Great build, even better story. Thanks for sharing.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Yes, the story is as great as the model.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Thanks.

I only wish I had been intelligent enough to have recorded or written down the things my father recollected when he was living. He wasn't a combat soldier but his unit was first echelon maintenance which meant they went in right after a battle to evaluate and fix the equipment that could be quickly repaired. He spent a lot of nights sleeping in a slit trench under a truck or his Kubel while the "fellows from the other post office" dropped anti-personnel bombs on his camp.
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

awesome build and great story, makes it extra special
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Great build and a nice tribute to the memories of your Father. Looking at those pictures its hard to believe its a model.
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, y'all. Here are a few more photos of the car.

Dad told me that the Kubel he acquired had a cat on the engine lid and they decided to keep that marking. With a tiny bit of research, I found that the car would have been assigned to sPzAbt.501, one of the Tiger I units assigned to Tunisia.

Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

A question for the other model builders here--should I start a separate build thread for this big old split-window or continue on this thread?

Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Start a new one . . . from start to finish . . . .

I did a review of this model kit years ago . .

I'll find it and post on your new thread !!

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

You could include the highlight reel here.

Heinz Nordhoff
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Okay, now I wait for a tiebreaker! Very Happy
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

There is no tiebreaker

Start long thread.

Follow with short summary here.

Heinz Nordhoff
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Here's a little start to the Revell 1//16 sedan I built.

About 25 years ago I bought a couple of these sedans and a Ghia kit as well. I made a little start on this first one back then and had an idea of what I wanted to end up with. Here's what I unpackaged a few months ago after being in hibernation for 23 years or so......

Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

OK Second Air Force . . . looking good Exclamation

Here is the article I wrote for the VW TRENDS magazine 26 years ago ( JULY 1992)

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Great review, Bob!

Your sample kit was the first iteration of the kit, wasn't it? My boxes with the blue car were the second release if I remember correctly. As I get further along with the progress of my build I'll be able to address some of the features you mentioned in the review.

One thing you mentioned was the price of about $65 in '92. I bought my first one at a model swap meet from a guy who was never going to build his and I paid $20 for it! He'd purchased it and for some reason was extremely disappointed with something and just wanted rid of it. I got the second one at a hobby shop in the DFW area and got it at a deep discount too.

This leads me to reminisce a little about these kits--I bought them when we were just selling our 1/1 scale VWs because we had to move with my job. I started this kit and then lost interest as I was divesting myself of the real ACVWs. Now, all these years later, I started visiting The Samba and decided to restart the Revell kit. Working on this project re-lit my fire to have a Beetle and we found our '56 Standard, so now there is a 1/1 scale Bug in the family again!
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

It looks from the photos like you were headed toward building a Standard.

I was also one of those who sold my kit after sitting on it for many years. Yes, there are some inaccuracies, but I mainly sold it because I prefer to build in 1/25 scale. A friend bought it and ended up building it with his son.

Heinz Nordhoff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 60

Jump to: