Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

White spoke wheels
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: White spoke wheels Reply with quote

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth there was a company (Jackman I think) that made white spoke wheels for the VW wide 5 cars. They were mostly aimed at the off road crowd as I recall.

Do they still exist?

Are those old wheels worth obtaining?

Did I just find a set?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Das67bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: White spoke wheels Reply with quote

There are several companies that make the wide 5 white spoke wheels. Just Google "VW white spoke wheels" and you'll get some good options.

I have the chrome spoke wheels on my '67 bus.

COMFORTABLY NUMB!!
-Pink Floyd
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: White spoke wheels Reply with quote

damn look at those welds... they look like jackmans but also look like wheels from otasco's from back in the day. I remember those red and blue pinstripes on them from there. damn I'm getting old Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: White spoke wheels Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
damn look at those welds... they look like jackmans but also look like wheels from otasco's from back in the day. I remember those red and blue pinstripes on them from there. damn I'm getting old Confused

Yup! I had a 48 year flash back when I saw them too! Just not sure if I want to buy the whole Buggy just to get them though...
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: White spoke wheels Reply with quote

EMPI still makes/sells them with the red & blue pinstripes in 4 lug & wide 5.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: White spoke wheels Reply with quote

I just took a look at their web site and don't see them.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: White spoke wheels Reply with quote

Easy enough for me to find online by searching, but I have a big EMPI 2011 paper catalog that shows them too. They have the wheels in chrome plate too.
https://www.google.com/search?q=EMPI+10-1016+white...fox-b-1-ab
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: White spoke wheels Reply with quote

Yup that looks like them. I was looking on the Empi site.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: White spoke wheels Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Did I just find a set?

Holy sox! Just today I met with an old VW buddy of mine who was storing many parts and cars for a couple other VW freaks in town. And laying on the ground were two of the four wheels I traded off my Thing years ago- complete with the Firestones my dad bought back in 1985.

They are identical to this photo. They are not Jackman brand- but I want to say American Eagle maybe? Someone around in 1985 would remember them. I traded them for something more 70s- era correct for my car- and a total of 3 different Samba folks from Utah came through for me for this set:

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: White spoke wheels Reply with quote

Could be... just like all the Manx copies, there were Jackson copies as well.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: White spoke wheels Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
oprn wrote:
Did I just find a set?

Modern Empi wheel is nothing like a Jackman, or Jackman copy.
The Empi and other white painted steel wheels have a thin center disc with an approximately 1/2" lip.
The disc is punched with a big center hole a 5 triangles that resemble spokes when assembled, and lug seats are formed.
This disc is pressed into the hoop, and welded.
Jackman, or the Jackman copy shown in the second photo the center was a thick cut out star with a big hole. Lug holes were drilled and cut for the lugs.
The "Star" was then welded to the hoop.
The original Jackman had a "J" embossed in them on the "Star" that you may still find on the wheel in the first photo.
I bought these Jackmans brand new in 1981 notice no stripes

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: White spoke wheels Reply with quote

Indeed- the real deal Jackmans did not have the stripes- I left that out. They were often seen (and pictured in their ads) with chrome center hub covers held on by the lug bolts- also with the stylized "J" in the center sticker.

As hinted- the welding on the Jackman wheels was very clean compared to the pinstriped knockoff. Think GT Mtn Bike vs. Schwinn.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: White spoke wheels Reply with quote

there's a guy close to me selling these.
LMK if you want me to contact him for you.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: