Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pillow Pillar Engine Insulation
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Pillow Pillar Engine Insulation Reply with quote

My engine is a bit loud. It does have a pillow stuffed in the pillar are just to the left and right of the engine bay.

I'm wondering whether I can stuff old sock up the pillar to make it quieter?

A bit more info.

My Beetle has been dynamatted. It just has a loud engine. - vintage speed muffler. I even insulated the heater pipes under the rear seat .

Last edited by blue65 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pillow Pillar Engine Insulation Reply with quote

blue65 wrote:
My engine is a bit loud. It does have a pillow stuffed in the pillar are just to the left and right of the engine bay.

I'm wondering whether I can stuff old sock up the pillar to make it quieter?

I believe white socks would be okay.
Red socks are quite loud for most occasions.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Pillow Pillar Engine Insulation Reply with quote

I prefer black no-shows... but really I would look into dynamat or something similar to apply to the interior panels underneath the existing carpets/padding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Pillow Pillar Engine Insulation Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea but any cloth items that can attract and hold moisture will promote rust from the inside out. A better solution is dyna-mat or similar on the interior along those areas the factory skipped like under the headliner and behind door panels, wheel arches, parcel tray etc. Properly done you can have a much quieter car.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Pillow Pillar Engine Insulation Reply with quote

What exhaust are you running?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
blue65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Pillow Pillar Engine Insulation Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
What exhaust are you running?

Vintage speed Sports Muffler.

Vintage Speed Stainless Steel Sport Muffler (Up to 125hp) for 1300-1600cc Based Type 1 Engine in 1956-74 Beetle, Super Beetle, and Ghia, 155-203-05200

I've got a 1641cc engine, Engle 110 camshaft, Mahle piston and barrel set.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pillow Pillar Engine Insulation Reply with quote

I don't know about dynamat. The factory firewall had all those thick felt strips between it and the body, which I think adds to the sound isolation effect, in addition to those pillowpacks. My 62, which has always had the stock firewall bits on it, I've had a tailpipe fall off and didn't know it unless I had a window open (also, must add that I have the stock cloth headliner and all the padding under it, which also helps)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Pillow Pillar Engine Insulation Reply with quote

I put dynamat throughout the inside of my 62, it makes a ton of difference... snug as a bug in a rug.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pillow Pillar Engine Insulation Reply with quote

I have some anti rattle in my car with carpet padding on top of this and then carpet and I still have a decent amount of noise in my car with a stock exhaust. The VS exhaust is going to be even louder. If sound is a concern, go back to a stock exhaust or merged header with a quiet pack.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: