Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

Time to finish off the reduction boxes.

I had collected a full set of NOS reduction box bearings - FAG - all marked "Germany" on the bearings themselves - not sure it matters in the big picture but whatever.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bearing puller tool.

Backing plates & axle seals.

I decided to leave the shocks factory paint. These are NOS rears dated 3/62.

I also torqued down the reduction box bolts and the rear cradle bolts.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

On to the brakes - I picked up these "oversized" shoes from the VW parts museum in Germany 2003 and figured it would be nice to use them on this project.

I have never riveted brake shoes on before so if someone notices an issue they think might be unsafe feel free to post it up. The process seems pretty straight forward - the shoes came with the rivets. The rivets are steel but they are easy to install. I modified an old arbor press and a punch die. Seemed to work fine.

They seem to fit the drums well, which were also turned.

I probably should put on a mask and chamfer the ends before I install them.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
I have never riveted brake shoes on before so if someone notices an issue they think might be unsafe feel free to post it up.

Looks totally factory to me even like you arced the shoes to match.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
campingbox wrote:
I have never riveted brake shoes on before so if someone notices an issue they think might be unsafe feel free to post it up.

Looks totally factory to me even like you arced the shoes to match.

The workshop manual says to use oversized shoes when you turn it to the first cut. It seems like they line up pretty nicely with the drums.

New German wheel cylinders:

I knocked them apart and cleaned them out and regreased them.

They went back together a little easier than I'm used to, but I've never used that grease before. Hopefully they seal up nice and last a long time.

One side is done.

29 part # lug bolts.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:

The workshop manual says to use oversized shoes when you turn it to the first cut. It seems like they line up pretty nicely with the drums.

New German wheel cylinders:

I knocked them apart and cleaned them out and regreased them.

They went back together a little easier than I'm used to, but I've never used that grease before. Hopefully they seal up nice and last a long time.

If this is what i think it is, ATE blue brake paste, then they should be just fine. The VW guys i trusted 30 years ago swore by it.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

those are like museum pieces! You must be happy that you found a perfect project for them
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

What a sweet Westy!!! Love the curtain fabric and everything else too! Killer work as always!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

nice
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

Looking good Greg, glad to see some progress on this beautiful bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

As usual in Greg you are doing a fantastic resto!

Just as a side note, the brake pads you are using do have asbestos. In my bus I also wanted to use rivets and was strongly discouraged to do so as highly unsafe.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:

29 part # lug bolts.

Are these split case specific lug bolts?
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
campingbox wrote:

29 part # lug bolts.

#29 signifies barndooor/wolfsburg production line (pre 55)

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Instagram: DeafVolks & BarndoorBuggy
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

derRHDmeister wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:
campingbox wrote:

29 part # lug bolts.

As soon as I read your response it made perfect sense. I knew I'd heard of 29 part numbers before!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

perello wrote:
As usual in Greg you are doing a fantastic resto!

Just as a side note, the brake pads you are using do have asbestos. In my bus I also wanted to use rivets and was strongly discouraged to do so as highly unsafe.

Thanks!

Why did your guy feel riveted brake shoes were unsafe?

I would trust 10 mechanical fasteners over any type of glue any day.

I think the advantage of bonded shoes over riveted shoes is that they are faster to install and you can make use of the entire pad thickness before you experience any metal on metal contact.

I've heard that riveted shoes dissipate heat better, wonder if it's true?

I can't count the number of times I've seen where a bonded shoe has failed when I've needed to pull the drum on a bus which has sat out in the woods for a number of years.

I wonder if the old asbestos linings will stop better than the low carb version you can buy today from various parts suppliers?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
derRHDmeister wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:
campingbox wrote:

29 part # lug bolts.

As soon as I read your response it made perfect sense. I knew I'd heard of 29 part numbers before!

I'm not sure how late those lug bolts went. I think they might have been fazed out around the end of '55. I don't think they made it to the end of the Wolfsburg run.

There was a very low km (8000 km's?) neon green singlecab found in Canada a few years back which was dated 1/56 and had a full set of 29 lug bolts. Our 1/56 bus had 10 of them on the front too. I've seen a number of similar date buses with the flat lug bolts with only a vw logo on it. Easy item to change, but an 8000 km singlecab painted lime green with matching lime green lug bolts was enough to convince me.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:
derRHDmeister wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:
campingbox wrote:

29 part # lug bolts.

I'm not sure how late those lug bolts went. I think they might have been fazed out around the end of '55. I don't think they made it to the end of the Wolfsburg run.

There was a very low km (8000 km's?) neon green singlecab found in Canada a few years back which was dated 1/56 and had a full set of 29 lug bolts. Our 1/56 bus had 10 of them on the front too. I've seen a number of similar date buses with the flat lug bolts with only a vw logo on it. Easy item to change, but an 8000 km singlecab painted lime green with matching lime green lug bolts was enough to convince me.

I'm going to have to look at the lugs I have stashed for my 55 now. I remember them being flat top but I'm not sure if they have the part number on them.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

The 29 part numbers were used through 1953. I think VW started using the 9 digit part numbers for 1954. There are plenty of bd parts that came new with the 9 digit part numbers, a Jan 55 bus would have the later part numbers on almost everything. But everything (original to the bus) on my June 53 has the early 29 style p/n on it.

The 29 p/n lug nuts were installed on new buses somewhat into 1956. Why for over a year later? Had they ordered a huge pile of lug nuts before changing the system?
Did the lug nut manufacturer just not get the memo?
Who knows, that's how it was. Anyhow, in the spirit of David Mayes, early p/n lugs correct for this bus was used.

IIRC, the Feb '56 high roof Acme panel from Alaska also had 29 part number lug nuts. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

then I think they later in 1956 went to the 211 ... ... p/n ,
then the flat w/o number,
then the dimpled
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

Another great mystery of the VW world and one I will obsess about even though hardly anyone will ever see my lugs! Laughing

I just went and looked at my 55 and it has a mismatch collection of lugs on it now. Everything from 29 lugs, VW stamp only lugs, and dimpled HWE lugs. I can't wait to get home and inspect the set I have set aside.

Sorry for the hijack! Now back to the regularly scheduled yellow and tan beauty!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

I have a set of those Jurid (cough cough Smile asbestos brakes but have no stell rivets. If you have any spares could you please post up what they look like or some measurements?

Many thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

I would have used some sweet chrome backing plates but otherwise it looks great, Greg! Wink

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: