Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic transmission installation Warning Oil pump driveshaft
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
piledriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission:no fluid pressure, no shift, damaged pump Reply with quote

That's why I was considering a pair 180 out, equidistant from center.

I'll probably cut up the bad converter to see what there is to work with, eventually, the Dex VI in the vanagon converter was clean, I changed/flushed it not too long before the rod bearings spun, and it was a "just in case" change anyway.
(Dex VI is Dex VI, same even if its Walmart branded, per GM spec if it's called Dexron VI, possibly the best thing about it)

Anyone getting a custom tq converter should probably get an OD plug added so you can at least do a full ATF drain/replacement in the vehicle next time.
Changing the ATF half a dozen times to get most of the old stuff out is for the birds, and hideously expensive if using AMSOIl or Redline ATF.

Perhaps drill a little hole, drain/flush and then TIG it back up? Twisted Evil
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission:no fluid pressure, no shift, damaged pump Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Wasted,

If you are going to run the seal in that orientation, keep a constant eye on the trans fluid level....

Roger that! FWIW, the seal behind the visible one actually faces the opposite way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission:no fluid pressure, no shift, damaged pump Reply with quote

I've got about 50+ miles on this now, no issues at all. Fluid level constant, clean and smells right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission:no fluid pressure, no shift, damaged pump Reply with quote

Thanks again for posting the ugly laundry of mistakes. This will save many, many hours of gnashing of teeth.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission:no fluid pressure, no shift, damaged pump Reply with quote

It sucks to dick up the works, but if it saves someone grief, I have no problem sharing my woe.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission installation Warning Oil pump driveshaft Reply with quote

The transmission on my 1987 Westy is starting to slip in D, and in surfing the Vanagon Bentley manual I found this Caution on page 37.6, which I did not find in the Baywindow Bentley. Turning the page to 37.8, there is a similar in-the-box Caution: Torque Converter must be secured from sliding off transmission when lowering transmission out of vehicle.

Seems appropriate to include this info for this thread!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission installation Warning Oil pump driveshaft Reply with quote

Great points, wish I had this info when I dropped my motor a few years ago. Bent the shaft on the way down.
Marsha the Westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission installation Warning Oil pump driveshaft Reply with quote

Hey all!
Been looking high and low for info on Vanagon automatic transmissions. Tks for sharing all the info but I need to find a new pump for my Vanagon.
1. The 090 VW tranny is the correct model for VANAGONS?
2. I saw that it was used in VW Santana models; did anyone find a seller oversea?
3. IS theree an alternative part that can fit in my 090 tranny?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission installation Warning Oil pump driveshaft Reply with quote

Have you read this whole thread and have you disassembled your trans yet? look on the 3rd page of this thread. You might be able to do what wasted did and get a different model pump and just swap the damaged part out.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
piledriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission installation Warning Oil pump driveshaft Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Have you read this whole thread and have you disassembled your trans yet? look on the 3rd page of this thread. You might be able to do what wasted did and get a different model pump and just swap the damaged part out.

...and note the part that typically gets damaged, the pump drive "flower" is a consumable part and is available from multiple sources, stock cast or billet CrMo.

Same part on 003 and 090/010 transmissions, the 010 version was used in many VAG vehicles, mk1-2 Golfs/Jettas/Dashers, Audis of same era.
Marsha the Westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission installation Warning Oil pump driveshaft Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:

Indeed I did read it. The transmission has been out since last summer and I need the whole thing. Willl see if I can get something off an older 003
1888VWPARTS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission installation Warning Oil pump driveshaft Reply with quote

Marsha, did you find a automatic transmission for your Vanagon Westfalia? I might have one if you still need. Thanks, Marcus
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: