Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Statement of Compliance on an older (1990s) European T4 camper
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Statement of Compliance on an older (1990s) European T4 camper Reply with quote

I am importing a 1995 T4 camper van from France (via Belgium though it was originally registered in Austria)

Before releasing the van from customs, the CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency) requires a Form 1 from RIV (the Registrar of Imported Vehicles, who are charged with certifying that imported vehicles meet Canadian safety standards).

Any vehicle over 15 years old however is exempt from RIV rules.

To prove that the vehicle is older than 15 years old however I am supposed to show a Statement of Compliance (SoC). Apparently this is a sticker on the inside panel of the drivers door which shows the year of manufacture.

My van is already on the ship and so I cannot confirm that it has an SoC sticker.

(if it does not have an SoC sticker I am supposed to show a Manufacturers Letter of Certification. I have written to VW with the VIN asking if they can provide me that letter.)

I don't know if European vehicles have such a sticker or whether that is just a US/Canada thing

Does anyone know?
Could someone look at the inside drivers door of their imported from Europe Van and let me know what they see?

Many thanks

Peter
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Statement of Compliance on an older (1990s) European T4 camper Reply with quote

Hi
I owned aT4(now a T5) and there is no sticker in Europe like in Canada/USA.
Normaly you have a paper sticker on the left from the driver and also in the inspection leaflet.
There there is the vin number with the manufacture year.
Here an explanation in French: http://www.t4zone.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27728
You have also the vin number stamped in front of the driver, you can read it through the window.
Hope it helps... Cool
pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Statement of Compliance on an older (1990s) European T4 camper Reply with quote

many thanks for checking that.

In the end, Border Services in Canada didn't seem much concerned with any stickers (to prove the age).
I am not sure what they did.
the original ownership documents from Austria of course show the "First Registration" date.
and a VIN search shows the manufacture date.

I though had been told in no uncertain terms by the RIV Registrar of Imported Vehicles that ONLY the door sticker OR a compliance letter would be acceptable.

By the way too, VW was unable or unwilling to produce a compliance letter but they did direct me to registry that seems to allow one (for a fee) to generate a compliance document.

"At this time, we could only suggest that consult the Volkswagen museum website at https://www.automuseum-volkswagen.de/en/the-museum.html to determine if you would be able to obtain information on this vehicle. "
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Statement of Compliance on an older (1990s) European T4 camper Reply with quote

Thats the so called well known"birth certificate".
I would try Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: